Just For Kicks - You Decide

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mitch, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I don't believe someone mixed you and me up, Mitch. What an insult! ;)

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I know, I'm quite offended. Still, a real feather in your cap.

Mitch ;)

3. Llamageddon

No... Wait... I... But....

Damn.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The Laurel and Hardy of MAP. I'll leave it up to you two which is which. :)

5. Llamageddon

Decisions decisions! What an accolade!

6. Mitch

17/09/11
    Yesterday was a rest day but my legs still felt heavy today. Once I'd been going a while things eased up a bit and it was beautiful down by the river so I did an extra half mile or so just to enjoy the sunshine and the quiet. I slowed the pace after the slightly faster runs of the last couple of days though. 4.5 miles @10 min mile pace. My HR monitor was playing up today so no accurate figures from that.

Mitch

7. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I've met them both, but like Clark Kent and Superman I've never seen the two of them together. :thinking:

I think we should be told.

8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

How many rest days do you give yourself a week Mitch? Although I've been upping my training, I've been paying greater attention to enforcing rest periods, getting my sleep, and not training just to fill a moment or because I'm bored. I've noticed that this has had a significant improving impact on my performance and injury rates.

9. Mitch

I didn't really, perhaps it's time to pay attention to that.

19/09/11
    TKD Teaching. Did half an hour or so of alternating patterns, sprints and exercises. Tough and lots of fun :)

Otherwise this week sucked. No time for running in the day, missed my evening training sessions too. You know why I missed Karate? Because Mrs Mitch's appointment to have her nails done ran so late I'd have been more than half an hour late. Now, those nails looked good at the wedding we went to on Friday, but not good enough to warrant missing training! Grrrr...

Mitch

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You need to be having serious words with Mrs Mitch if her nails are preventing you from training (obviously this will depends on the method her nails are using to prevent you from training ;) :evil:).

11. Mitch

26/9/11
    4 miles with some sprint intervals. I added in 6x20 second sprintson the return leg, hitting 101% HR Max. Total time taken 38 mins. I am now recuperating with a nice cup of tea :)

Mitch

12. Nice Mitch, well done! :)

Osu!

13. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Post workout lovely cup of tea FTW!

14. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

well done indeed. Sprinting is awesome in so many ways.

15. Mitch

You know the saying, "pics or it didn't happen!" It was so fantastic down on my usual running route today that I took the camera, so here are the results :)

This is the starting point; you can see the river curving off into the distance.
    [​IMG]

Round the corner visible in the distance in the previous pic you follow the twists of the river, the church in the village on the other side of the river gets framed nicely between the trees, though the cows aren't paying much attention.
    [​IMG]

They turned out to be very friendly and wanted me to stop for a chat. Whilst I was taking this pic one came up and licked me; I know ladies, restrain yoursleves, the thought of my deep manly musc, combined with cow lick, irresistible! Still, can't stop, got to be mooving on.
    [​IMG]

The view of the village over the river as you go past it. Apparently they have one eye and horns over there and worship some strange older gods...
    [​IMG]

After the fields, the path narrows and you're in between trees. It's really quiet down here; I've seen all sorts of waterfowl, plus the occasional stoat, rat, vole and similar.
    [​IMG]

A little bit further and it's time to turn round, this is the view as you do.
    [​IMG]

Then it's the return leg, with some sprint intervals thrown in. I got an encouraging wave from a gentleman on a passing boat.
    [​IMG]

It's a bit of a heatwave here in the UK at the moment, as you can perhaps see from the pics. So after 4 miles and sprints I looked like this; yes ladies, I know what you're thinking, I'm HOT! :D
    [​IMG]

Mitch

16. Mitch

29/9/11 Charnwood Karate Training (with thanks to Monty for remembering it all :) )
    5 minutes of fartlek then onto the usual warm up of leg raises etc. The fartlek is great, I'm going to use that a lot on my runs I think.

20 reps of all Kihon Blocks and strikes then 30 reps of all Kihon kicks(10 in fudo dachi, 10 in right zenkutso dachi, 10 in left zenkutso dachi)

10 reps of gedan mawashi geri & ushiro mawashi kake geri in line then 1 minute of doing the same but over the top of your partners(squatting) head. This is a great drill, making you kick through and you can push yourself hard.

Moved to pad drills; first drill was front jab, then using the front hand to index the other pad for three reverse punches. Next drill was interesting. Starting from close range you push against the pad holder but let yourself move backwards to give range for a Mae geri which has to be hard enough to move them back. This is immediately followed by three mawashi geri. I love kicking pads really, really hard, me :D

We then moved to partner drills, moving around in fighting stance then using your rear hand to clear thier front hand down and to the outside, hooking the neck and pulling them in for a hiza geri. A variation was also introduced such that if you were too far away for the knee you swept the forward leg and pushed them down to break balance. I still suck at this, but picked up some good tips tonight so it's something I'm going to really work on.

We then got into threes with two sets of pads between us, the fist pad holder got the front jab & three reverse punches, the second pad holder moved in at 45 degrees behind/to the side of you. You had to spot him and do three hammer fist strikes off to that angle.

We then got padded up and did a few rounds of sparring. Contact was kept light to medium whilst people work on new drills and technique, rather than just smacking each other around. I really enjoyed this session, a few things worked for me and it's always good to put the drills into practice, especially if you can make them work against some of the more, erm, "determined" members of the club :D

Finished off with a tabata of sprints/exercises (press ups, sit ups, jump squats, burpees).

A really good session! My gi was soaked:) I must see if I can wear my heart rate monitor one week and find out how many calories I burn and how close my heart comes to exploding during a session :D

mitch

17. Llamageddon

I see the karate is making all the difference! ;)

18. Mitch

To be fair, this is like the normal types of karate.

But for grown-ups.

Mitch :D

19. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Happiness is a wet gi.

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Not if you're grappling someone whose gi is dripping! ICK!