Just For Kicks - You Decide

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mitch, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Today's run was C25K week 5 day 1. I forgot to switch off my HRM at the end before the drive home, so my best pace today was around a 2 minute mile :D

Around 2.45 miles, around 70%HRM average about 30 mins.

Mitch

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

You two are barking mad...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI"]Ba dum tssshhh - YouTube[/ame]

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

LOL

I happen to know that Mitch had had his eye on getting rid of that birch for some time.

4. Mitch

Now, you know I am not the sort of man who would get so excited thinking about playing with a bit of tree trunk that he'd forget the important meetings he had about his son's educational future. Ahem.

Thankfully I am the sort of man who is married to a brilliant lady who reminded me so firstborn didn't miss out on secondary school visits.

I did however miss out on waving my wood around the back garden, much to the relief of the neighbours I would imagine. There'll be no escape for them come Thursday though.

Mitch

Edit to add today: C25K Week 5 Day 2. 32 mins 2.3 miles Ave HR 73% 409 calories.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  5. Mitch

Having made the mistake of hanging the washing out where I wanted to stagger around carrying a tree trunk, I've had to put that on hold again. :(

So today I had a crack at a dumbell workout from Men's Fitness (I know, I know).

Not a bad sessions actually.
    Dumbell front squat 5x8
    Dumbell press up position row thingy 8x8
    Dumbell Thrusters 5x8
    Dumbell Lunge 5x8
    Dumbell Snatch 5x6
    Man Makers 5x6

All done at a high tempo with only short rests.

Man Makers may just be my new favourite/least favourite exercise :D

17 minutes 265 calories AVG HR 80% HRM

Mitch

6. Mitch

Unfortunately I tweaked my hamstring doing that dumbell session; not enough warm up and too many explosive movements.

I've been foam rolling and gently stretching so today decided to try something, but not running or squat based.

Iain Abernethy bagwork podcast, easy on the kicks. 25 mins, 76%HRM AVG, 387 Cal.

Lots of fun :)

Linkydink.

Mitch

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  7. Mitch

C25K Week 6 Day 1. 34 mins 2.6 miles 74% HRM AVG 415 Cal.

The programme is giving me a bit more running time now so I got to push the distance a little today, plus held the 10 min/mile pace that I want to aim for initially over the 3 mile distance, but without having to take my HR too high.

Happy with that :)

Mitch

8. Mitch

A bit of cycling today. In the teeth of a howling gale :D

9.95 miles 53 mins AVG 77%HRM 710cal

Mitch

9. Mitch

C25K Week 6 Day 2. 34 mins 2.5 miles 77% HRM AVG 539 Cal.

Tough one today; I must have been tired because I couldn't maintain my normal pace without my HR going into Zone 5 (around 159bpm for me). Still, I wombled on and at least the weather was glorious :)

Came across this from a guy I used to do Enshin with in Loughborough, I may have a go at this some time too. What do you think folks?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JG7yzkGOYE&feature=youtu.be"]ÐºÐ¾Ð¼Ð¿Ð»ÐµÐºÑ Ñ Ð³Ð¸Ñ€ÐµÐ¹ Ð´Ð»Ñ Ð±Ð¾Ð¹Ñ†Ð¾Ð² ( complex with kettlebells for fighters) - YouTube[/ame]

10. Mitch

Just a beautiful run this morning, cosmic balance is restored after the hard work of the last one.

The sun was burning off the morning mist along the river banks, the cows were happy to let me shuffle past just feet from them, the geese and ducks were chattering away on the river and I hardly saw another soul.

It was a solid 22 minutes running with no breaks today, and it felt great. Got into my stride nicely, HR hovered around my preferred 155BPM which seems to be my natural running pace, and I just tripped along really nicely with what seemed like little effort.

If you live near a park, fields, river bank, anything like that, do yourself a favour; get out of the gym and go enjoy exercising outdoors :)

C25K Week 6 Day 3. 32.10 mins 2.5 miles 77% HRM AVG 447 Cal.

Mitch

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

When I see people doing cardio in gyms, especially in the summer, I want to slap them.

12. Mitch

Poor week this week. Lousy weather, me feeling ill and being busy has limited me to just one run. Try to do another today and Sunday to at least keep on track with that.

Wednesday 15th C25K Week 7 Day 1 2.76 miles 34:58 mins 469 Cals AVG 78%HRM

Good run, it was a 5 min walk, 25 minute run, 5 min walk routine. Kept within HR zone 4 , stayed around 10:40ish mile pace which I'm happy with for the moment. Lots of pluses to take from that.

Once I'm up to 3 miles in 30 minutes I'll have achieved my goal as far as running is concerned, and I'll just look to maintain that.

Mitch

13. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Hey! I have to do my cardio indoors. :( I have year-round allergies and feel like my head and sinuses are attacking me with bokkens if I try to play outside. :'(

14. Mitch

Interesting run today. It was pretty windy so on the way out with the wind behind me I could really push my pace. I was breathing much harder than normal to get my heart rate up to the usual 155ish bpm. As a result I was comfortably hitting a sub 10 minute mile pace. Funnily enough the way back was much harder :D Still managed to hover around 11 minute miles without pushing HR too high though, so very happy with that. Also managed a longer distance as a result, so close to my 3 mile goal now :)

C25K Week 7 Day 2 2.82 miles 35:07mins 424 Cals 77%HRM

Mitch

15. Mitch

I've been suffering with a sore achilles tendon so have stopped the running for now. Previously I would have carried on but I'm trying to be more sensible and less gung ho.

I've been away visiting family so training was reduced, but got the chance to get back to it today.

Bagwork and conditioning session in the garage.

Bagwork was working on footwork in hand combinations (jab, cross, hook, shovel hook), adding turning kick or switch turning kick too. Lots of variations working speed or power. 2 minute intervals, 1 minute active recovery of bodyweight squats, jogging etc.

Followed this with 3 sets of 20 press ups, 30 seconds plank and 10 kettlebell swings.

Finished with a set of 10 bastards but done with a wide squat, hands down between knees, narrow press up and pike jump rather than tuck jump.

35ish mins, 495cals, AVG HR 78%HRM.

Really enjoyed that :)

Mitch