Just For Kicks - You Decide

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mitch, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

:wow: :eek: Screams and runs for the hills :running:

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

29th September
    MAPMeet :D
    Hubud drills with Simon, bunkai with Mike Flanagan and footwork drills with Late for Dinner.

Lots of interesting stuff and lots of principles that span multiple arts. A fantastic day :)

Mitch

3. Mitch

Was feeling ill yesterday and still feeling a bit weak today.

Still managed my current routine:
    Bench press 3x8 progressing nicely
    Chin ups 3x4
    OHP 3x8 up 1kg
    Deadlift up to 70kg; slowly, slowly
    Bench tricep dips 3x8 need to make these harder
    Inverted Rows 3x8
    Dumbell rows 3x8

Felt pretty knackered afterwards to be honest, but glad I did it.

Mitch

4. Mitch

3rd October
    Some kicking drills at TKD class. The first time I've kicked at full speed for ages, which felt great, but my knee was sore afterwards so plenty of ice.

4th October
    Hamstrings a bit stiff from deadlifts on Tues and kicking Weds, so decided to skip them today. So it was:
    Bench press 3x8
    Chin ups 3x4
    OHP 3x8
    Bench tricep dips 3x8
    Inverted Rows 3x8
    Dumbell rows 3x8

Mitch

5. Mitch

I've been diagnosed with a mild slipped disc, so no training for me for a week or two :(

Best go light on the deadlifts then eh?

Mitch

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Perhaps this is a good time to look at
    1. Your background reading... on coaching, on techniques etc
    2. Your diet
    3. Your cake baking skills

7. Frodocious

I nobly volunteer to test the cake (after you've tried it on the kiddies first - just to be on the safe side...)

Bad news on the back thing though - sympathies from me.

8. Mitch

I'm now back at training after my slipped disc :) So, TKD 3 times a week and I'm back into weight training gently. I've been doing one of those silly "Add 10kg to your bench" routines from some Men's Fitness or similar (I know, but I wanted to have a bit of fun whilst I couldn't do press, deadlift etc :D ) so we'll see how that goes. I've just started week 2 of a 3 week programme.

Next week I'll go back to my other lifts, but will have to do it carefully.

Mitch

9. Frodocious

Just be careful not to re-aggravate your injuries! :)

10. Mitch

New Year, new training regime with a view to remaining injury free. There's a lot I want to do this year, so I need to get myself back up to speed physically, but without chargin in and setting my injuries off again.

So, I'm on a regime of exercises from my physio for my knee and elbow. I'm doing these twice a day every day and have been for 3 weeks. 3 more weeks and I'll start the Bullet Proof Knees programme to strengthen it. That will let me honestly revue the book as I'll have used the exercises myself.

I've also started doing a half hour walk every morning, at the sort of pace that makes my calves burn. This is mainly just to add a little strength to my knee again, but it also starts the day off well :)

I'm then introducing some other exercises slowly as time goes on. I've been playing with kettlebells a little, just getting used to the basic swing movement, so today was a tabata of kettlebell swings. Ye Gods! Now doing lots of gentle hamstring work to loosen everything up again. :D

I'll be working on some of the other movements with a view to including them in my conditioning work, I'm really enjoying them at the moment; if you've not tried them and have access, give them a go :)

I reckon a week of this then I may introduce lifting, so alternate kettlebell/lifting days, but all of it pretty gentle. I have the opportunity to grade to 4th Dan in October if I can get and then keep myself in shape, that should just about give me enough time.

Wish me luck!

Mitch

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

12. Frodocious

Good luck for October - I recommend wearing the gold mankini, because no-one could possibly fail you for anything when you have that on.... :heart: :heart: :)

13. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Best of luck Mitch!

14. Mitch

Well, the top of my hams hurt like a hurty thing after the KB swings tabata, but I went back to my Instructor's TKD class for the first time this year last night. We promptly did a session based almost entirely on kicking combinations :D

It seems to have helped however, hamstrings have loosened up a bit today.

Did my normal morning walk, 1.5 miles in 20 minutes, it's cold with freezing fog this morning so not much to see, but the spiders' webs were covered in frozen dew, beautiful!

Now for physio exercises and maybe time for some weights this afternoon.

Mitch

Attached Files:

15. Mitch

I'm back at TKD training properly now, plus teaching of course. Physio exercises are going well and though painful sometimes my knee is ok.

I also found a daytime Kyokushin class so went along on Tues, lots of fun and then a large
    Polish gentleman punched me repeatedly in the stomach. There's another class on Friday so I'll see how the bruises are going :D

Mitch

16. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

17. Frodocious

Good to hear you're back at training! Now if I could just motivate myself to get off my butt and down to a class...

18. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Speaking of fighting blubber... I just started back in Wing Chun after 6 months off and I've lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks!

19. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Glad to hear Mitch, I wish you the best!

20. Mitch

Good work, keep it up! :)

Mitch