Just For Kicks - You Decide

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mitch, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I haven't bothered posting the logs for a while, especially as I was looking after the kids for a week so eating with them. I'm back on the essentially Primal diet again though and due a weigh in next week so we'll see if I've lost any more weight.

I saw my physio again today and at last there's some progress on my knee! :D

We've been working to re-align my kneecap, which is definitely happening. The pain is reducing and the kneecap is moving. There's still a long way to go before I can train properly, but for the first time in months I feel like I'm making positive progress on a clearly defined path towards a recovery.

*Happy Dance*

Mitch:D

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

*Knackers knee again*

3. Good to hear about the progress Mitch! :)
    How was tickling last week ;)

Osu!

4. Mitch

The tickling was obviously very medicinal thanks O_K :D

Mitch

5. Loughborough ENSHIN

Loughborough ENSHIN Valued Member

Good to hear Mitch.

Take your time ...

Gary

(Python voice) And no dancing!!

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Good to hear the knee's improving! :)

I won't feel so bad about biting you on it, next time you annoy me... ;) :evil: :Angel:

7. Mitch

I've finally cleared space in the garage so I can get my weights bench out.

My last routine (18 months ago I would guess, before shoulder and then knee injuries) was Bench, deadlift, chin ups, overhead press and tricep curls. I was going to add squats.

With my knee still dodgy I'm not going to look at squats or deadlift, so I've just started back with bench, chin ups, seated overhead press, bicep and tricep curls (gotta love the guns :D) and a wrist roller for wrists/forearams.

I was going to add the exercise like a inverted press up where you sort of lie on the floor and pull yourself up under a stationary bar.

Has anyone got any suggestions for other stuff to add? I tend to like big compound stuff for the most part, but obviously my knee is putting paid to a lot of that. Otherwise I might like to work some forearm and grip stuff.

Mitch

8. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

How about some tricep routines like skull crushers, or kick backs, if your looking for big guns you'll need to work the triceps.

9. Osu Mitch,

Your inverted press ups are called inverted rows... :D
    These are great for shoulder health and stability.

I would take a second look at squats, with your physio's benediction of course. Squatting helped me put a lot of strength in the smaller knee stabilizers around the articulation and made them much more stable. (check with your physio, it may be too early for you at this time)

You may want to consider dips & hanging leg raises; good mornings or hyperextensions for your lower back, or maybe bridges.

Osu!

10. Frodocious

I find that I can do split squats, bulgarian squats and lunge variations with my knee, so you could try those perhaps, and maybe barbell glute bridges to give you buns of steel?

11. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

You just have to be careful with those steel buns, my wife say's there is a magnet in our couch, because I have a hard time getting off it to do the honey do list, just be sure your couch is magnet free. :(

12. Mitch

I saw my physio today after some 3 weeks of exercises to change the balance of the way my left leg works and centralise my left kneecap.

It's all pretty positive :)

My new physio routine includes a range of exercises, plus two ten minute jogs a week. This is not aiming for distance, it's aiming to continue my recovery and strengthen the knee. I'm not going to be running a half marathon again anytime soon, but I might be able to get back to doing fartlek in few months.

I can continue leading warmups at TKD and slowly increase the amount of training I join in with, the ultimate aim is to get back to training under my Instructor in about 3 months.

This is not the most aggressive approach the physio offered, but I want this thing fixed properly so I can get back to training properly, not patched over so I get back into the swing of things only to land back at square one in 4 months time.

I have to say I'm pretty damn happy today; it's not the end and I have to be cautious still, but there's a real goal to aim for and I'm getting back to doing some of the things that, outside family, mean the most to me.

Oh man I'm looking forward to the next few months :D

Mitch

13. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

I'm very pleased for you that your recovery is progressing well, Mitch. It's always good to have "gas left in the tank" when it comes to therapy.

14. Frodocious

Good news that, Mitch! Slow and steady wins the race, as they say! :D

15. Mitch

I thought I'd better start this up again.

After a fabulous summer holiday with the kids I'm going to have some time for exercise again, so keeping this should spur me on.

I'm on a semi-primal eating plan, no booze during the week (Get thee behind me Marston's!) and feeling my way into exercising with my gammy knee. It's two steps forwards one step back still, but getting there.

So far this week it's been:
    Monday
    Usual weights routine (3x8 Bench Press, Overhead Presss, Tricep Curl, Bicep Curl, 3x5 chin ups.I'm aiming to add deadlift and squat to this still, will probably drop bicep curls, but I'm going to keep tricep curls because I just enjoy them! Unless anyone wants to explain how tricep dips will be much better? :D).

Tuesday
    TKD in the evening. Ran through patterns doing coloured belt, black belt, next coloured belt, next black belt repeatedly. Ended up doing patterns 63 times or so. That was a proper sweaty one :D

Wednesday (today)
    Cycled to the supermarket and back, 7.6 miles. My bike is older than most of the people on MAP so that was fun! Just completed usual weights routine. Teaching tonight so probably won't get to do much at TKD.

Mitch

16. Mitch

Thursday and Friday were manic so no time for anything, but today I got in a gentle 4 miles cycle with the kids. I also managed the last of my three weights sessions for the week which went brilliantly :)

I'm 2kg ahead of my target for this week on my bench press and have passed the first of the landmarks I was aiming for. Fab :D

Mitch

17. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Congrats on passing that landmark!

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

triceps dips are better because they will work your lats and serratus and make you punch better :p

also, DB rows >>> DB curls :p

19. Mitch

I want to re-introduce deadlifts to my routine. I used to love doing them but haven't done them for a year or more because of my knee.

I also want to introduce squats. I've never done them before but bought a rack with spotter arms ages ago specifically so I can do them.

I'm a little worried about introducing both at once, again because I want to monitor my knee carefully and strengthen it. If I introduce both exercises and get knee pain I won't know which is the problem.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to which I should introduce first or wont it really matter?

Mitch

20. Frodocious

How's your knee at the moment and what tends to aggravate it?

If deep bending sets your knee off, you could start with rack pulls rather than deadlifts (if your rack is suitable).

I found with my knee rack pulls were fine and box squats were OK (with the box squats I could limit the depth I was going to and concentrate on the lift, rather than worry about how deep I was going). Obviously my knee issue was completely different to yours though.

All things being equal my preference would be the deadlift because most people need the posterior change work and strengthening that up is a great idea anyway. You could work on those for a few weeks or so and then add the squats. Or if deadlifts give you knee pain stop them for a while, allow your knee to settle down and then try the squats instead. If both of those cause problems you could try single leg work to start with.