Just askin'

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kris x, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Kris x

Kris x :-p

When someone asks me why I started Martial Arts, I feel like it's a trick question, is it? :)

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Depends on the person I suppose. But why would it be?

Do you mean someone who already does martial arts themselves?

3. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

don't see anything tricky in saying why.

4. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

When someone ask me the same question, I respond with what influnece me to start training. That was watching Green Hornet in the late 60's. I use to call it the kato show. Thats what I would watch every time it was on TV. As time goes on you will find out the true meaning of the term "Martial Arts". Its all about self-discovery, where's your place in this world that we all live in and truely being the changes that you want to see in the world. "Self-Knowledge is a journey, ever a destination, walk on". Take Care.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

As an aside, that's apparently what they called the show in Asia as well. The Kato Show.

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

No tricks really, tell the truth. Lose weight, to be with a BF/GF, my kids wanted me to join, etc...... There are lots of legitimate reasons...

7. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Tell them that you want to join K1 ;).

8. Kris x

Whats K1?

9. NaughtyKnight

Mixed martial arts tournament

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I thought it was mostly kick boxing. I have seen MMA fights there, though...

My reason?

To be the World's Greatest Killing MACHINE.

Actually it was because I wanted to be like a Ninja, Kroddy guy, etc. that I've seen in movies. I almost had a heart attack when I heard you can't shoot fireballs out of your hands. :(

PL

11. NaughtyKnight

I learnt martial arts purely for health and self defence.

12. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Because I want to!…..

13. Kris x

I can shoot fireballs out of my hands bwhahaha(snort)teehee :D

14. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

It shouldn't be, but could be.....depends on how it's asked I suppose :confused:

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

when someone asks you this question open your eyes really wide and say in a deep deep (ala james earl jones) voice: "because the time is nigh!"

16. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

I grew up watching every ninja, kung-fu, karate and all the b movie trash I could get my hands on. I wanted to be every hero and at least half the villains. Who wouldn't hand to be able to catch arrows or sword blades with your hands? Honestly..!

I got into ITF TKD because I could learn to kick like Van Damme, break stuff, and literally walk around thinking I was a bad ass. Many years later, I got into Muay Thai because I could learn to kick like Tong Po. Actually no, I took up Muay Thai because I wanted HARD conditioning. I was getting into road biking but not liking it too much. Took up some running with the girlfriend which was ok... but nothing busts yer ass like our Muay Thai class. And so far no other workout has been as rewarding.

And who knows, maybe I'll still learn to fight like Van Damme. Hope not...

17. glo_in_da_dark

glo_in_da_dark New Member

sweet!!! :D teach me! (lol jk)

well, i started tkd cuz i loooooooved it since i was a little tyke! man, it's awesome watching people jump off the wall and break a board at demos at school! the graceful, high kicks... sigh!~ man, i loooooove tkd!!!

i really don't think it's a trick question why u started martial arts... actually, its a good way to reflect your personality. sadly, there are some people out there who wanna go strutting around with a black belt, lookin like a tough guy and picking fights. i think that's wrong. i think many people chose Martial Arts because of the beauty and that they chose their particular Martial Art because it appeals to them and suits them well!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005