Just a quick hello!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Smokemare, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

Hello everyone!

I don't know if anyone here remembers me. I used to be quite active a few years ago. Ever since I had children, I've never really managed to get back into training.

I often had breaks for a few months or years. This time however I honestly think I'm finished for good. I did think it might suit my kids to do - she's now 8 and he's 4, but I don't know if I want to get them into martial arts. They are busy doing other things and the thought of glove-less sparring matches in the living room terrifies me!

I'm so inflexible and unfit these days, theoretically if I ever wanted to try and grade again I'd have to perform Juche for the next grading. My flying twin-kick was pretty rubbish when I was young and fit. Now I'm nearly at that big horrible age which I don't want to mention - that begins with the number after '3' I really don't know if I could do it even if I wanted to and had time.

I miss it sometimes. Most of the time I'm too busy to think about it though. I suppose you should never say never, but at the moment I have to be realistic and unfortunately say 'probably unlikely' to getting back :(

A pity as it was probably the only form of exercise that could sustain my interest! I've tried using the gym and cycling and stuff, but to be frank it's hard to commit to something which isn't interesting.

Also these days I seem to lose the entire night. I get home, we have tea, then we're more or less getting the kids ready for bed straight away. Most nights it's 9:30 or later by the time I get back downstairs.

Anyway, sorry for whining on. I just stumbled back upon this site while looking for something else and thought I'd try my old password - IT WORKED! :)

So I thought I'd say hello. Even though, I don't really feel much like a taekwondist anymore!

2. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Sorry I was browsing and just noticed this!

At some point, could you introduce your kids to TKD and go with them to an adult/child class? It could be something you both share.

3. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

I started Kendo recently! I do keep thinking about getting my kids to try Taekwondo and just go along casually myself? I ought to get a bit fitter first. Plus they have a lot on. She's doing GCSEs (she's 14) and he starts high school next year. (he's 10) He's also the top chess player in the county for his age and one of the top pianists in the county for his age too. He just won a trophy for piano forte last weekend. He's trying out for the England primary schools chess team soon, and plays in a serious ECF graded adults chess league.

Mitch likes this.