Jungle Gym Training Help

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Seventh, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Hey MAP!

With the arrival of summer and the absence of school, I have more time on my hands. Something that I've been contemplating is doing a workout involving a jungle gym, which I have near where I live. With the extra time and the healed up arm, I can finally put this into motion.

I am however honestly lost in what I should do. I've taken a look at Barstarrz, but I am still lost. I was hoping you smart MAP people could point me in the right direction, and perhaps give me examples of exercises/workouts that I can play around with.

Thank you in advance MAP,
    ~Seventh

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

What equipment do you have access to in the Jungle gym?

If there are parallel bars you could work things like dips variations, L-sit progressions, a pull up bar can be used for pull ups, chin ups, rear and front lever progressions (as can rings if available).

3. Seventh

Off the top of my head, there are pull up bars, parallel bar (I think) and monkey bars. I'll have to double check.

4. Frodocious

Hangs from monkey bars would work grip strength.

Pullups bars can be used for hanging leg lifts, hanging windshield wipers, you could work towards L-sit pull ups etc.

Parallel bars can be used for inverted rows, straddle L variations etc.

Be aware that progressing bodyweight exercises can take a lot longer than progressing weighted exercises, due to the leverages involved plus the strain on your ligaments and tendons.

5. Seventh

Thank you Frodocious.

6. Frodocious

You're welcome! Let me know exactly what the equipment is and we could design you a workout using the progressions for each exercise.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Check out the Members workout thread.
    Much of it filmed in park areas, or with stuff you could adapt for the jungle gym emvironment.

Here are a few ideas.

Slipthejab showing how it's done.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34145404&postcount=63

An excellent set of ideas from PASmith.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34150114&postcount=169

CosmicFish and Gary.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34151186&postcount=176

Me.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34157871&postcount=236

Just a few ideas.

8. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Nice idea 7th, you'll have to get up early to beat all the kids on the holidays

That is realy good of you Frodociuos

Simon (and all the contributors of vids)...my kids are going to love ye...

dad-'Lets go to the playground!'

Kids-'YAY!'

Later...

Kids-'Daaaad, can we go home?'

dad-'One more rep'

9. Body Sushi

Body Sushi Valued Member

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

TRX?

guessing it wouldnt be too hard to suspend if you're willing to fork out the cash.
    or pull ups with weight!

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I use my local kiddies park. Sometimes for exercising! Bah-zing!

As a general rule I try to include hitting the arms, chest, back and shoulders from a variety of angles because I find them hard to hit without weights or equipment at home.
    At the very least some sort of press movement away from the body and a counter pulling movement into the body.

Some ideas...

Anything you can lay under and grip can be used for horizontal rows. If it's high enough chins and pull ups. Do them one handed if too easy with two.

Anything raised you can put your hands on for easy press-ups or your feet for harder press-ups. My park has some funny spring platforms that wobble so I can press between them (good ROM), put my hands on them, feet on them or do dips with my hands on one and feet on the other. I've not tried it (just thought of it!) but I could probably pike press on them too (easier than full handstands). Very versatile. I use the see-saw for uneven press-ups. Push it down one side, do a press-up, push it back the other, press-up. It's not a hard press up to do but gives variety and hits the chest from different angles.

Any fence or vertical structure can be used to handstand against. Either for static time or reps of handstand press ups (or partials).

Get some elastic ropes and use the equipment as an anchor point (slip's got some good stuff for that).

Take a towel. You can warp it over stuff for grip exercises and then wipe your face when you're done. :)

My recent circuit is this...

Jog up one side of footy pitches.
    Mobility up the other side (side to side, backwards, knee raises etc).
    Sprint down another side
    Jog again
    Sprint into the kiddies park and do

10 press-ups
    10 rows
    20 v-sits
    10 dips
    20 hindu squats

Rest for a minute or 2 and then repeat as many times as you want.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Did another session in the park last night.
    Added some suspended press-ups on the swings. Feet hooked over the swing, hands on the floor. Do a press-up, then tuck the legs in towards the body.
    I think Slippy-boy had a vid of them on the body weight thread?*

*And linked in this thread! They are good though.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  13. Seventh

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-La50v4MBZE&feature=plcp"]IGNITE SC - atomic press ups.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

14. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I did them in FTZ circuits last week. Ouch. On the plus side no one in the class beleives i am pushing 50.