Jun Fan Gung Fu

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by dredleviathan, Dec 12, 2002.

1. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations of any books that cover the Jun Fan core syllabus (or parts of it) in as systematic a way as possible. I know this is going to be a tough one!

I train in this as part of what is termed the JKDC class at our school but I'm finding it hard to distinguish the difference elements into individual styles in order to organize my notes and indeed thoughts. Basically I want to get my "core art" in order.

I don't want to start any debates here so really just wondered which books those of you who train in a similar fashion i.e. JKDC would recommend to help me organize myself. There are a lot out there by people claiming to have been Bruce's confidant/uncle/nanny/bar tender etc...

I'm not asking for any free hand-outs of the Jun Fan curriculum which have cost you many years of training and many pounds to pull together - unless you feel inclined :) (there was recently a rather angry response to a similar query on the Inosanto Academy forum).

Like I say any help gratefully received.

Thanks.

P.S. I read Yoda's article on MAP about the link between JKD and fencing and found it really useful. It also explained why I found the Tao of JKD hard to understand (lots of fencing terminology).

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Have a read of this one, it has been recommended a few times on here.

[​IMG]

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Try and get a hold of

Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do - The Textbook

by Chris Kent & Tim Tackett.

A good book that will give u loads of ideas

Quote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm not asking for any free hand-outs of the Jun Fan curriculum which have cost you many years of training and many pounds to pull together - unless you feel inclined (there was recently a rather angry response to a similar query on the Inosanto Academy forum).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sad I guess some people are in it for the money.

4. johndoch

johndoch upurs

beat me to it pgm, LOL

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

And with a pretty picture of the book! :D

They say " Great minds think alike" ;)

That book does seem to be highly regarded though!

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

yeah, I think there was a follow up called JKD kickboxing by the same authors. I had a quick flick through it but it didnt seem to good.

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi

Lamar Davis' book is very good - I'll put you in contact with him when I get home later - you can get the book directly from him.

Like I said (Politics aside) it is VERY good.

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Is that a better book than the one mentioned Yoda?

9. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

PGM/Johndoch/Yoda,

Many thanks guys (and especially for the pretty picture PGM).

Keep the suggestions coming - I got new book shelves recently and the misses has given me a whole shelf!! Not bad out of the 16 available...

Look forward to the further info Yoda... I think I came across a website or something of his ages ago but couldn't work out if he was for real or not. Amazing how much politics you can fit into a MA club huh - maybe we shoudl be reading Machiavelli?

Repects.

Jamie

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

They are both well worth getting, and both contain material not covered by the other.