Jumped and mugged last night - Random reflections

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Southpaw535, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Grond

Grond Valued Member

He also rarely gets injured. And "turtling up" is well known in boxing. I showed that in the boxing journalism. Maybe it's just not in Europe?

I don't get into "sport vs street" arguments, so I'll leave it at that. But I wonder if Geoff thinks Mayweather's legendary shoulder roll wouldn't work well for SD. I think he would based on his videos. You guys are all experts on Thompson, right ? !)

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

His technique of the shoulder roll works just fine in its context (unattached striking) His tactic of Letting people tire out and then striking them is not ideal for all situations when it's not just unattached striking.

Just like me pulling close guard and stalling for hours isn't a good SD tactic, but me knowing how to attack from closed guard and stand up/ sweep from there is a good technique.

The issue is that outside of boxing, the phrase turtling up means something completely different, so if you use it on a non boxing forum, it's useful to be clear what you actually mean, hence why I asked you to clarify.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Mayweather knows what's up for the streetz...hit and run.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  4. Dead_pool

^ conclusive video proof!

Also a link from boxing direct to the modern day gladiators of the WWE!

#itsrealtome

Smitfire likes this.
  5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

At least some of us knew who he was without having to Google him :rolleyes::oops:

Some of us have met him and been coached by some of the very few guys he calls students and allows to teach his material.

How many times have you chatted with Floyd and asked his opinion on the best way to fight on the streets :p:p

bassai and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Dead_pool

^ I've read some of his books, watched his videos before YouTube existed, and trained in classes with people who had "trained" with him (multiple seminars I would imagine).

That doesn't mean anything really, but I can tell when someone has just scan read Google and is pretending....

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I went to a "super seminar" with Geoff T (and Peter consterdine, Rick Young and Neil Adams!) decades ago. One of the best seminars I've ever been to which is no surprise given that line up. You know it's a good seminar when Ronnie Green gets called out of the punters to uke for Rick Young. :p

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

My geek dumb head thought of Neal Adams (Batman, Green Lantern artist)
    I was like...wow. "Self Defense and comics? Which seminar was this?"

Mitch, Dead_pool and bassai like this.
  9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

He's on Google?

I just used MAP. Honest he's been discussed here for years and I've been here at least that long.

10. Dead_pool

The search engine.

11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

My point is if you use MAP's search, I'm pretty confident you'll find me conversing and posting in discussions about him and Ian.

Anyway, now that we're all on the same page...new subtopic?

12. Dead_pool

Screenshot_20191006-193357.png

Nope the only time you've posted Geoff's name was on this thread.

Have you previously used the different account?

13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

No but that doesn't matter, I don't need to have ever posted his name to discuss him.

Search more threads if you want. I mean, he's probably one of the top 5 people we talk about at MAP. Nobody on MAP more than few months would miss him being talked about.

14. Dead_pool

I've searched your posts and you have never posted anything about Geoff T or any Ian by name.

If your going to claim your knowledgeable about a subject matter, you need to provide the evidence when your called out on it.

Or you could admit your wrong??

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Probably better to search for 'Iain' rather than 'Ian' eh?
    You know...that being how he spells his name and everything.

:rolleyes:

Travess and Dead_pool like this.
  16. Dead_pool

Perhaps he meant the cricketer?

17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I need to do no such thing. As if anyone else provided "evidence" of anything other than their opinions. And I've made no claims of any sort of expertise nor should I be bothered in informal discussions.

What are you, thread moderator? Keep making me laugh, Deadpool.

18. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Come on, give it a rest.

We discuss Ian and Geoff all the time here. I've been here for what, 2 years? If I know anything about these men, it's because of you.

19. Dead_pool

If your not going to back up your opinions with evidence, when it seems as if you are fibbing, then your opinions will carry less weight, it's a simple ask, just point us in the right direction, if you can't do that, perhaps you shouldn't claim things....

20. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Now you're accusing me of "fibbing"? About what? Geoff Thompson? Probably one of the most cited authorities on MAP and I agreed early on with 90% of what was posted about him.

Listen, when we all have a discussion and don't agree on every little thing, it's ok. Nobody has to be wrong or right. There's no need for "evidence" unless we're in court or something.