Jumped and mugged last night - Random reflections

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Southpaw535, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Grond

Grond Valued Member

But I didn't say "don't fight back" or the other things you mentioned like eating shoes. You don't seem to be understanding what I mean by "taking a beating" which implies to me you've never taken one.

I don't think throwing a list of people out without being specific really helps prove your point. I could have used the same list to prove mine.

2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

That's because that's your own straw man, and not what I'm saying at all.

"Hit him first and then..." Sounds like theory crafting. Then what, exactly? A lot of self defense teachers teach that sort of drivel. The truth is you never know what is going to happen. But I do know that protecting your body during a fight especially outnumbered is waaaay more important than throwing punches...that's what I mean when I say taking a beating.

Southpaw took his beating and his training worked, did it not?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I have literally no idea what you're on about now.
    You say you don't believe me when I say no self instructor's advocate turtling up and taking a beating as a viable self defence option.
    I then furnish you with a list of people that have never said that.
    You say that list proves your viewpoint.
    This is the ancient boxing thread all over again.

Honestly...you just don't seem very good at arguing a cogent point.

4. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Whatever. Now I just know you're all worked up and not bothering to actually read what I'm saying. Now comes the ad hom.

Listen if you needed to list all those people without actually making a real argument you shouldn't lecture anyone about their cogence.

"Nobody on this list of people ever said that". What a terribly formed argument.

5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

You're basically saying Southpaw screwed up and didn't fight back hard enough, because all those instructors never said learning to endure a beating wasn't important? He should have fought harder and escaped, so his training failed?

You are wrong on both counts.

And don't bring up the historical boxing thread, or you'll be 0-3. Another lame debate trick, don't be that guy.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Haha. Your debate style is all over the place.
    Next thing you'll be annoyed I used the fangled quote function to respond to your posts.

7. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Your entire line of argument is based on misrepresenting my posts in a chain of strawmen. My 90-10 with 4:1 odds became your "well, I NEVER".

Yep it's all my "debate style"'s fault. Or maybe your reading comprehension needs more work.

Again, you had to pull out a random list of instructors as a red herring. Careful where you point that lector stick, professor.

Have you ever been in a fight yourself? Or is this "debate" purely academic for you?

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You do remember liking the second post in this thread right? The post I wrote? Go back and read it again and then see if what I've quoted above makes any sense whatsoever.

So in two threads I'll go 0-3?! What are you on about?

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Been in a couple early in life. Nothing for decades (bar some fronting and arguing) as I'm a middle aged man who practices good self protection strategies.
    And that invalidates my position how?

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Nope it's pretty much your slap-dash debate style as far as I can see.

11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

First, don't bring up unrelated discussions in some weak argument about theoretical fights where you are outnumbered. Strike one.

And yeah I read and Liked your post which is why it's confusing that you're contradicting some of it by your more recent posts.

Maybe if you took more time to read and less time trying to prove the negative that "nobody ever said what you are saying" we'd get further. I already agreed with about 98% of what you have posted. But you keep turning that 2% into "I don't know what you're on about" and " you can't argue a cogent point" and " your debate style stinks" blah blah blah.

12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

You might need reading glasses.

13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

You speak like you haven't experienced what Southpaw and I have. And you threw a bunch of self defense teacher names out to argue something I don't think they would support.

Maybe instead post a video of one of them positively supporting a point. Chances are they will prove us both right, especially my point about training to endure and protect your body priority one.

What part of protecting yourself first, and attacking as a last resort, is hard to understand. First you seem to agree and then you don't. It's almost as if you just want to disagree with me for arguments sake when we are largely in agreement.

If that's the case, try better arguments, and they don't start or end with "your debate style".

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not contradictory at all.
    Getting attacked by multiple people is horrible and hard to deal with. Coming out of it without serious physical harm is doing well. Southpaw came out of it with fairly minor injuries and some psychological and legal issues to deal with (aftermath as it's often called). He did well all in all. Dealt with a tricky situation as best he could. Could have gone a lot worse.

That said...there are other avenues to look in multiple attacker scenarios.

Letting them hit you in the hope your toughness outlasts their aggression is terrible advice.

15. Grond

Grond Valued Member

"Letting them hit you". There's the straw in broad daylight. Who said that? I think you are stuck on this point nobody made. Maybe it's another language barrier issue.

If your endurance doesn't outlast their aggression you are probably getting KO or worse. That includes aerobic endurance as well as defending the body.

Didn't Southpaws toughness outlast their aggression? Would you have advised more offense? Sounds like terrible advice given his specific circumstances. He did exactly what I am describing. 90-10 or so. He was likely hurt less because of it, not more.

16. Grond

Grond Valued Member

If you want to theorize, let's imagine Southpaw went loco, knocks one guy out, and the rest decide to make him bleed for it, ending in your proverbial curb stomping.

Nope, endurance of the defender causes attrition of the attacker. Energy is limited, so it's best spent defending first and attacking smart.

Floyd Mayweather Jr is the wealthiest fighter in history for this reason.

17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Against a crew of people you need to defend yourself first and be able to endure the attacks whether that's via movement or getting hit.

Nobody here is Neo from the Matrix, in a fight against many people, you are going to get hit. A LOT. Learning to deal with that is a lot more important than spitting venom, being aggressive, and trying to karate chop at bunch of idiots. And I find it really hard to believe any of the instructors you threw out would disagree. Hopefully you won't go down the route of "well I've studied all their videos, and...".

If you can find a video of one of them saying it's smart to escalate violent offense in a fight you are outnumbered, I'd love to see that one.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

19. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Recycling my own words without commentary? Rock bottom.

I stand by every one of those posts especially the part about "not curling into a ball". See? You do need glasses. My "style" is not the issue here.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You do get that someone like Geoff Thompson (and such a lowly person as myself) can advocate hard training to endure a beating (like the animal day type stuff) AND pre-emptive striking and employing actual tactics and strategies so you don't actually have to endure a beating?

Dead_pool likes this.