Jump Roping

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Greg, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Greg

Greg Valued Member

Any tips on how to jumprope properly and get better?

I bought one, and I'm sort of getting the hang of it, but maybe you guys have good advice.

Also, when is the best time to jumprope? After a workout, before a workout, after or before a meal, etc...?

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Check out the other thread on jump rope below in Similar Threads.

Kat posted a good link to rope drills you might want to check out.

When to jump rope fllows the same rules of procedure as running, skipping or jogging... in fact any cardio exercise.

3. Greg

Greg Valued Member

I've read the similar threads and didn't find anything that helps me.

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Well I have a couple of ropes and they never came with directions ;) ... but I'll try and help you out here.

Holding on to the handles, when turning the rope, the upper arms are held close to the body. The forearms are held down and out at a forty-five degree angle with the hands 20-25 centimeters from the hips. The hands and wrists should do most of the work in turning the rope, and should make a circle of 15 to 20 centimeters in diameter. The arm movement should be cut down as much as possible.

To start the rope in motion, you place the loop of the rope behind your heels with your arms extended out in front. Bring your hands down and back for the first turn of the rope then swing the rope over your head and then under both your feet. The jump should be just high enough for the rope to pass under your feet.

As you progress you can do a number of different "jumps"... such as heel-toe, one foot bounce, spread, straddle, crossover, double jump, alternate jump, front and backs, side to side, 2 right-2 left, etc. etc.......

5. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

I usually like to jump rope before my workout...

as a sort of warm up....

6. Greg

Greg Valued Member

Thanks a lot Kick Chick. That's what I was looking for. hOwIe, that's what I've been doing (or, trying to do) too, so I'll stick with it.