Jujitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by K star, Sep 14, 2013.

1. K star

K star New Member

Has anyone trained at British jujitsu ryu in West Sussex if so is it any good,I'm torn between this club or martin Rogers jujitsu in Gosport

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What are you looking for in a club? Im assuming from your name you have trained at Kstar Thai club at some point?

3. K star

K star New Member

Self defence

Yeah I've trained in thai boxing and fought k1 style kickboxing in Worthing West Sussex,and I've finished with competitions and now I want to learn a good form of self defence system or style like jujitsu or anything like that can anyone recommend anything pls cheers ???? ;)

4. Dead_pool

Try here http://www.worthingbjj.co.uk/

I train with an ex thai boxer whos a copper, he said judo and BJJ are really usefull for his job and loads of fun!

5. K star

K star New Member

Self defence classes

Yeah I've trained in thai boxing and fought k1 style kickboxing in Worthing West Sussex,and I've finished with competitions and now I want to learn a good form of self defence system or style like jujitsu or anything like that can anyone recommend anything pls cheers ???? ;)

6. K star

K star New Member

So do u reckonif I mix thai boxing with Bjj or judo that would be effective or mix boxing and judo

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Those are all martial arts with a solid training system. I'd say that boxing and judo is more likely to result in a comprehensive skill set, as it will introduce ground, stand up grappling and upper body striking to you. By the same token, if there's a world ranked BJJ gym in your neighborhood and the only judo joint in the area is headed by a hobbyist, you might choose the bjj gym. You might also consider BJJ + judo, it sounds like you've got a pretty solid striking background. Those two go together like peaches and cream.

8. Dead_pool

In a word Yes! The gym link I sent you says they run BOTH Bjj and Judo sessions there.

9. K star

K star New Member

Cheers for that link I think I will go along there and try there judo class out the instructor is a international champion and gb and I spoke to him last nite on fone and he reckons judo is more effective the jujitsu (Japanese) so I'm thinking should I do judo and mix it with thai boxing or should I carry on looking for another self defence system it's mainly for disarming people from weapons etc had anyone got any ideas?

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Have you considered Kali/Eskrima/Arnis?

The problem you will come across in the UK is that there is very little actual Japanese Jujutsu.

What JJJ you will find is naturally mostly anachronistic in nature, not that it's not of use but if your concern is self defence and all that entails then there are probably more effiecient routes to your goal.

The rest of what you will find are often modern hybrid systems that can be hit or miss in quality, the majority of Jujutsu in the UK seems to fall into this category.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  11. K star

K star New Member

Hi dean cheers for the feed back, after I read ur note I then looked up any clubs for self defence in my area and there is a Sbl silat club near by what do u know about silat is that on par with Kali and escrima ? Of so i ll have a look into that ;£