Judoka: A documentary by Doug Rogers.

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Combat Sports, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

This is way past old enough to be public domain so I don't see any problem with posting it. It's not that long but it is extremely well done. This fellow trained with Kimura in Japan. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBFx1a4L2ig"]Judoka by Doug Rogers (FULL) - YouTube[/ame]

2. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

What a simple yet exciting little clip of history!

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Flipping brilliant , great find .

Thanks again

4. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Probably not, actually, absolute minimum term under the Berne convention for films is 50 years and Canada's particular copyright laws (which I cannot be bothered to look up) may make that longer.

Nothing first published in the US would be public domain if it had a copyright notice unless it comes from before 1923. The standard term for new works is now 95 -120 years or life +70.

Anyway, legit copy (in higher resolution) by the organisation that made it:
    http://www.nfb.ca/film/judoka

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I've watched this 2 or 3 times.. it was a travesty how badly Canada treated Doug Rogers. I think that we were very lucky that he decided to compete for the country and it was unfortunate how he lost a close decision to the Japanese Champion at the Olympics in Japan to become Canada's 1st medlaist in judo. He also won 4th at a later Olympics despite working and having little time to train.

Never really heard much about him although he did retire to Vancouver (perhaps after I had moved away).

LFD

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

7. Takoona

Takoona New Member

Watched it numerous times. Love it. Thanks