Judo self defence

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Humblebee, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Hi Guys I've just found a Judo club on the internet that teaches striking with Judo. Is this traditional Judo the way it was originally taught.

Here's a little extract from the site-and a link to the website if anyone wants to see the whole site.
    http://spitfire-judo-grappling-club.com/

One final benefit that one can gain through judo is the ability to defend oneself.

It must be noted that judo needs to be taught as a form of self-defense for this goal to be achieved. Many excellent judo instructors still emphasize this aspect of judo. Judo taught as a form of self-defense seeks to make small persons capable of defending themselves against much larger and stronger opponents.

Although the program of judo will make a person stronger, it is always acknowledged that attackers prey on the weak. When a person is obviously strong, few people will view that person as prey. But on those occasions when a larger, violent person attacks, the skills of judo, based on "yielding" to the assault, allow the practitioner to turn the assailant’s strength against that person.

Judo as a form of self-defense teaches a full range of punches, strikes, kicks, and blocking techniques. These skills are not allowed in the sport of judo, but one must learn them for real self-defense skill. Another aspect of judo as a form of self-defense is the use of holds and joint locks that are illegal in the sport.

Self-defense judo uses methods of attacking and joint twisting that cannot be allowed in sport because of the incredible damage that such moves would inflict if carried to their conclusion. This kind of result, however, is sometimes necessary in self-defense.

The benefits of judo are endless. The longer one trains, the more benefits the person sees. Judo affects all aspects of one’s life, including longevity. Because of the health benefits of judo, many of the masters of judo lived longer, more active lives than those around them. Taught and practiced properly, judo is a lifetime activity of great benefit to its practitioners.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

Sounds cool, :) I'd love to check it out if I lived nearby. Is the striking practiced limited to that which is found in the kata or does it include boxing/MT style stuf aswell? Anyways Yay for judo!

3. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Absolutely, Judo is awesome self defense.
    Dont know if strikes are traditional but i have seen a tape on a japanese judo player who uses his head during entry to throw, quite effective and flows nicely without breaking the rythem needed for the throw... That would be my question, can strikes be "added" without breaking the flow of action that took years to perfect. Like when you get a chance to throw its a fleeting moment.
    Hey, on the other hand, to shoot out a jab to produce a reaction is usefull too so either way sounds good :)
    Yes Judo is very good.

4. Humblebee

I've done a little Judo many moons ago but it was sport orientated this club seems to have a more traditional approach(I think).
    The site looks good they teach combat Sambo and Kurash too.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Judo is great for self defence. Osoto gari[ killer thow.

koyo

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Judo as taught by the kodokan has strikes and blocks and self defence in its kata that were taken from Koryu JuJutsu styles and adapted.

But it depends on how this clubs trains its strikes if it is completely trad or not, then again doing some non trad striking is great as well, as long as its not mislabeled as pure kodokan style judo.

The important thing is that its honest and you enjoy your training.

ps Judo is awesome, if they teach sambo, check that out too, but be sure to tap early to leg locks!

7. Humblebee

did you check out the website

8. Dead_pool

Yes, I didnt say that much, It sounded like they practise all of the kata, but it didnt say for sure, or say they dont pad up and do randori in the striking, like they do, do in some sambo schools.

Heres some old school judo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMw_Jtn3Avc"]YouTube - Kodokan Judo with Master Technician Kyuzo Mifune[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Is this school judo re-invented with strikes added or something older? Either way how is the striking trained?

10. Humblebee

I dont know,i've never been there,I've only seen the website.

11. Dead_pool

Maybe check the place out then.........

12. Senin

Senin Valued Member

I have always searched for a self defense judo. Unfortunately I could only find, sport judo. I know judo is awesome. Just wished a could find a self defense judo teacher in my area.

BTY, osoto gari rocks in self defense.

13. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Fusen

Brilliant video. I never tire of seeing master Mifune.

You cannot "hide" on a judo mat. I have many friends who are judoka and I would take any of them to stand beside me in a street fight.

Being tough and knowing you are not "made of glass" is what you need in the street and judoka have been thumped,thrown,locked and strangled..a good preparation.

I have taught many judoka aikido riai and they are excellent students.

14. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

it's a skill set called atemi-waza

15. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Atemi-waza are just striking techniques. The self defence aspects of judo are commonly referred to as goshin-jutsu. The self defence includes strikes, but it's mostly around getting to a position where the rest of judo's techniques become usable.

16. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

by the way does Judo and Jujitsu still pay homage to it's weapon based roots?

why has jujitusu in particular been currently characterized as primarily a grappling art when it does a whole lot more?

17. Dead_pool

Most of what is taught in the west as jujitsu only has a very slight connection to any 'koryu weapons arts'

Why its characterized as primarily a grappling art, is that the grappling componant is what seperates it from the more popular kung fu / karate etc, as well as being the main section where the 'ju' aspect comes in.