Judo or Sambo? Which one first if you can only pick one?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Brandon Miller, May 27, 2019.

1. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller New Member

Hello,

My question is if you had access to a Sambo club and a Judo club and had interest in training in both arts but due to time and money can only choose one art which would you choose and why? I have access to both arts but can only choose one art. Thanks!

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Havn't we already had this thread three times?

Freestyle judo and sambo will be very very similar, so really it's down to which club is better for you personally.

Have you visited the clubs yet?

3. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Try out both clubs, decide which one you like better, then stick with it.

The one you enjoy more will be the one you stick with. Consistency and persistence in training are more important than the choice of style.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Muay Thai

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. Brandon Miller

I started sambo for a month I’m one week in. Enjoying it quite much. Affiliated with the U.S. National Sambo team. The head coach is a member of the team. I guess I got lucky fellas.

6. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

The only thing I'd add is: If you really want to train both at sometime in your life, and have to pick one to train right now and one to wait and train later in life, I'd do the Judo now.
    Judo training is pretty hard on the body. Not only can you get similar injuries you'd see in most grappling arts, but you are also spending more time (compared to most arts) being slammed into the floor.
    So--if you want to train Judo at some point in your life, in my personal opinion, front load that and train it first when you are younger and your body can take a bit more punishment.

Not to say Judo can't be trained as you get older--I did a few sessions evaluating one club (before deciding that at my size (especially) and my age, Judo wasn't going to be a good fit) and there was a guy in his mid-60s. He'd been doing Judo for a long time, and was fine still being thrown around and such.
    Its just that I'd feel more comfortable training a striking art or other grappling art like wrestling or BJJ when I'm older, than I would training Judo when I'm older.

7. Dead_pool

^ the same applies to sambo too, plus he seems to of found a great sambo school!

8. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Ah sorry I think I misread it as Sanda.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

I don't think he's got time to learn how to dance too!

10. Brandon Miller

Sambo is pretty brutal on the body also. So far from training in one week I have learned a lot of different throws setups combos etc. I learned the rolling knee bar along with the Russian tie snap. We do striking before we do sport sambo training then we spar at the end of class. My coach is a bjj brown belt and a n active national and international competitor for USA Sambo. Our school is the U.S. Southwest regional training center for USA Sambo. Judo is everywhere and sambo is not. Sambo is a rare skill set to learn at least in the United States. I’m very lucky and fortunate to have found this school 20 min from my house. I’m choosing to stay with Sambo as long as I can and I’ll cross train in Judo in a few years later down the road. Judo should be a smoother ride for me in a few years once I have solid Sambo fundamentals down. I plan to make Sambo my base for grappling and plan to incorporate other grappling styles to my sambo as my sambo journey continues. I’m planning on competing in the 2020 U.S. Sambo National Championships next year. In about 10 years I plan on opening up a Sambo academy and help spread this great martial art here in the United States. I think I’m the next 10 years you will see Sambo become more popular in the United States. P.S. I wish I had time to learn to dance.

11. Brandon Miller

I’m currently 32. I see your point. Sambo is very similar to Judo and it’s a rare opportunity to learn it here in the United States not a lot of coaches and school. So I’m taking advantage of that and in my opinion it will get me physically ready for judo later down the road when I start cross training.

12. Dead_pool

Your coach isn't riley bodycomb or part of the Rdojo network is he?

Their instructionals etc are great!

13. Brandon Miller

No he is not but yes his videos are pretty badass. This is my sambo school
    https://www.sambotexas.com/

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Brandon Miller

This here is my go to and favorite Sambo tutorial YouTube channel with terrific techniques from a Ukrainian Sambo World champion. He’s got a great personality and his technique is sick. Check him out SILA PARTERA. Ivan Vasylchuk

Dead_pool likes this.