Judo: MMA or TMA?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Adam, Nov 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4-n-zics

4-n-zics New Member

I was not arguing any point. I stated that if you feel that Judo is a sport, so be it. If you feel that Judo is a Martial Art, so be it. If you feel that Judo is both, so be it. Never once did I state that Judo IS... unlike most of the other comments in this thread...

I gave my opinion on what I feel Judo is. Saying that Judo IS, is not stating an opinion. It is a way of stating that I am right and you are wrong...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003
  2. totality

totality New Member

if we didn't argue about this stuff...what would the forums be for? ;)

3. 4-n-zics

4-n-zics New Member

Oh, I don't know... learning and conversation, maybe???

4. Cain

Cain New Member

Nah! For dabating things like sparring and kata :D

|Cain|

5. Disciple

Disciple New Member

I have to say this ia very interesting arguement that brings up good points.

I consider a judo a martial art. However I consider it a marital art of throwing. That is it. There is not really much more to it, maybe some holds, but that is it. It was derived from Jujitsu, only certain techniques were chosen. I believe its orignal form was for play and contest. I do not bleieve, however, it makes it less of a martial art. Someone mentioned how a single person interperts a system determines what it is for them. I have abook that is a dictionary for martial arts. It contains karate, kendo, ninjitsu, capoeria, tae kwon do, hapkido, sumo, vaejaramushi, and judo, amoung many many others . Sumo, vaejaramushi, and judo are all combative sports. Sumo is from japan. It contains pushes, rushed, throws and a few takedowns, NO strikes. Judo contains throws, takedowns, holds, and I am not sure if there are any strikes. Vaejaramushi is an ancient Indian combat form in which 2 contestance (trial by combat justice) were placed into a ring (literal ring shape) with one knuckleduster each and could only strike the face and chest area until one died, was knocked out, or crippled.
    All contain martial theory and practice, there fore I would say they are martial arts.
    *on the sidenote a TKD, it is the most sport oriented, merely b/c of the large branch of olympic TKD, which derived from a larger art form and is severly limted. and Wu shu, you could argue is not a MA, by the def. which you would say judo is not, b/c it was developed by the Chinese governemtn to remove martial arts and make them gov. controled. Right now there is a large controversy of making Wushu and olympic sport*

To answer the original question, TMA. It was purely derived from Jujitsu.

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

And a little bit of Ken Jutsu, it sounds weird but believe me, it does.

7. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

IMHO Judo is neither a mma nor a tma (yet), but a derivitive of a tma. Weither it is a sport or a ma depends on the intended application(s) of the student.

8. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

TKD is a TMA and in the olympics

In a shocking form though!

Still Judo you get your moneys worth and its a great work out!

9. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

those of you who beleive judo is a martial art, please continue with your mis-conception. it is an extreamly common mis-conception so i suppose you can't really be blamed. :D

i feel i have made my case quiet clearly in previous posts as to why judo isn't a martial art, accept it or deny it, makes no difference.

i'm making this post to say thanks to the people who have taken part in the discussion as i have enjoyed it alot but i feel its dead in the water now with no resolution.
    however next time i see neil adams i'll ask his opinion and inform you of what he said. might be next year though.

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

This could get all childish if we all started naming dropping, couldn't it, oh wait, too late!

11. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

got another name for you although not judo orientated.
    terry o'neil
    i have taught his daughter and my sensai and him are great friends. it was through terry that neil came down to our club.

12. Cain

Cain New Member

:rolleyes:

|Cain|

13. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I think this thread's gone past that point where any sensible discussion can be gleaned from it...

Thread Locked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.