Judo Mat

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Ozid, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Ozid

Ozid Valued Member

Wanna train Judo with a sparring partner in my block's gym. It's just practice training(controlled throws, bit of ground work) so i won't be needing much space.

I'm looking for a cheap option. What mats should I buy and how much space should I really need?

:)

2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

The entire weight of your body is going to be hurtling toward the ground very quickly. Mats are not something to skimp on unless you want to be paying later to try and fix your body.

3. Ozid

Ozid Valued Member

Having that in mind, again the cheapest option :D

4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Interlocking puzzle mats like these would be my suggestion.

http://www.championmats.com/id33.htm

You can put them down and tape the seams. They won't be perfect And they won't absorb as much force as you're likely looking for but it's the cheapest option I know of.

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

those things don't work for grappling trust me, there is some stuff one the internet on how to make your own mats have a look around youtube and google for info on that.

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I didn't mean those specifically but there are those style interlocking mats which I have seen used for judo.

7. Ozid

Ozid Valued Member

Thanks, but I'm done with manuals for this year xD

I'll search for those!

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

the grappling version of those jigsaw ones aren't cheap.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Get a tatami mat, or even a crash mat.

10. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Just make sure the ones you get are fairly thick or that you layer them.

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I don't think its epically challenging.

12. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I saw some that were like 2" thick and 4 sq feet for a little more $10 a piece it was a couple years ago but he might be able to find similar.

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

what the hell would they do with a crash mat ? fine if your just going to throw each other in the one spot over and over again but that doesn't make for a very good session, not much use for getting some movement or groundwork and tatami wouldn't be much better than those studio mats Sketco posted.

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Since your brand new to judo, I would hold back on sparring throws for a while on cheap mats, your breakfalls wont be up to it. Stick to grip fighting and groundwork.

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Dont get one inch mats, ive some at home for movement drills, And I wouldnt use them for anything else, 2 inches is a min for groundwork, 3 or 4 inches for throws.