Judo Gi Size

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Pkhamidar2com, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Hello guys, im looking to buy a Judo Gi, but im not sure what to go with.

Im around 170 - 175 CM tall, so should i go for a 170CM Gi, or a 180CM gi

(i went with 180 for my TangSooDo and it was longer but it didnt really matter in that, it was better as there was no tightness when kicking very high)

But i'm not sure for Judo as i know they have like gripping the Gi and gripping the Collar and that may be different with different sizes.

so which size do you guys recommend?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

more importantly they always shrink at least a little the first time you wash them so take that into consideration.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I would say go for the larger size as Judo gi often shrink when washed (quite a lot in some cases) and if you intend to compete you need to conform to the regulations on arm and leg length.

Before buying it's worth doing some research on the brand, ask at your club or google it to see what folks are saying about sizing and shrinkage. Don't just leap into a purchase. You can get away with out a gi for a few weeks at the beginning of your training.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

when in doubt go blitz. they always have good fits

5. Pkhamidar2com

Yeah i been told that i get the first few days of training with no Gi's then i will have to get a Gi eventually.

Yes i was intending to buy a Blitz Gi, i believe that is also what the club sells.

So ill probably go for 180CM, or do they shrink a lot meaning i might need a larger size e.g. 190CM?

6. Mangosteen

if its a colored gi then it probably wont change size as the dying process seals the garment and usual prevents shrinkage.

7. Frodocious

Ask at your club which size they would recommend and don't leap into a purchase without checking up on it first.

8. Pkhamidar2com

Cool will do :)

No its not coloured (not blue, its white), just bleached, does that make a difference?

9. Mangosteen

not really too sure.
    whites tends to shrink rather than colored but its best to ask around at your club

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I respectfully disagree blitz gi's are horrible, not least of all for shrinking. there price is right for beginners though.

11. Mangosteen

mines never shrunk and i thought it didnt fit right cos i have a short upper body

12. Frodocious

I found the same thing. I have a Blitz black Ju Jitsu gi (160cm) which never really shrank, except for a little on the waist of the trousers - which is definitely not the part I needed to shrink (I was hoping the leg and arm length would shrink a bit).

One thing I alway do with gi, is only wash them on 30°c or less and hang dry them (I never tumble dry them).

13. Mangosteen

according to my mother (who is currently the international head of quality control for a famous UK super market brand) the dying process prevents shrinkage hence why coloured (black, blue, pink) gi's don't shrink at all.
    also the cheaper sourcing of pakistani twill and cotton in blitz gi's is better than their brazilian and japanese counter parts due to the high quality cotton produced in pakistan and that region.

14. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

is that why they go that rock solid chain mail way were it feels like the skin is being peeled of your finger tips when your doing judo with someone wearing one :p

15. Frodocious

Interestingly enough, I have a black Toraki BJJ gi that has shrunk a bit - although not nearly as much as the white Judo version I have.

16. righty

righty Valued Member

If your club sells the Blitz then just try a few on and get the right size. Easy as pie.

Just ask other students if you can borrow theirs for a moment to try on and get the opinion of the instructor. How much you weigh will also be a factor. I would say you are most likely fit a 180 but read above for the easy as pie method to confirm.

17. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I would say you are 170.

18. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Can only echo what others have said...try some on, get advice. And sods law..when you want a gi to shrink it never does, hehe

19. Frodocious

Oh so true (as it the opposite)! :bang:

20. Pkhamidar2com

So i went yesterday to judo, they gave me a spare Judo Gi. Just before leaving i checked the size and it was a size 190CM, and she said it fit me quite well, but she said it had shrunk alot.

The lady said that she would go with a 190CM but 180CM might also work.

So still not solid answer. The 190CM had shrunk enough from being washed though, and it fit me :p And the lady said it fit me well. So i think that's save don't you?

What are your thoughts?