Judo Gi brand "Giko"

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Chris_1987, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Chris_1987

Chris_1987 柔道

Hi I've recently purchased a "Giko" Judo Gi, it is pre shrunk and single weave, 13oz and 60% cotton 40% polyester. Does anyone have any experience with this gi or this brand? The price was the reason I bought it (26quid), but I can't seem to find any reviews on this gi or the brand.

2. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

It's a brand aimed at beginners. As you only paid 26 quid then obviously this will show in the quality of stitching, the cotton density and the cut of the kit.

Use it and abuse it for a bit and if you decide that you want to do more judo and/or start competing then shell out for a decent kit. A thicker double weave a la Toraki or fighting films.

3. Chris_1987

Chris_1987 柔道

thanks for the reply, i borrowed a Shogun gi for my second session which was double weave and 100% cotton, is 100% cotton what i should be looking for in my next gi for longevity? and what material shrinks the gi's cotton or polyester? i know to cold wash and drip dry but im terrible with materials

4. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Double weaves from reputable companies will last the longest. You get what you pay for in terms of cotton density and quality. Make sure you cool (no more than 40 degrees) wash the gi first and then increase the temperature in subsequent washes until you get it to the desired size. If the gi is blue then I suggest adding a cup of white vinegar to the first wash to limit the fading. Tumble drying will also shrink the gi.

As for what brands to go for;

Mizuno, Toraki, Fighting Films, Essimo, Kusakura, Greenhill, Adidas (these can shrink funny though) and Danrho are all good bets. Others can be alright too, the list isn't exhaustive.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Tatami, and Zero Gi's are alright, Lutador Gi's too!

6. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

True, but no point him buying a BJJ gi now if he's planning to compete in Judo.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter