Judo for MMA

Discussion in 'MMA' started by doc97, Jul 16, 2008.

1. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Just picked up Karo's new book. Not my fav fighter, but the book overall is pretty good. Picture quality and explanations are very good, techiques presented are also very good. Kinda pricey, but overall a good investment in my opinion.

2. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Just about anything put out by Victory Belt is going to be quallity. Multiple photo angles, colored photos, color-coded sections, top flight technicians as authors... They're the same guys that have done most of Eddie Bravo's stuff, as well as books by BJ Penn, Randy Couture, and Marcello Garcia. Books by Lindland and Fedor should also be out soon.

I haven't had a chance to practice the clinching and gripfighting that's presented in this one yet. It's quite different from the bodylock-oriented, Greco-based throws I'm used to.

3. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

I would be really interested in a book by Fedor!

4. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

People better not start learning the counters to the still unorthodox judo clinch work. :/

5. Just Guess

Just Guess Valued Member

I've taken a few looks through it in the book store. I like it and plan on buying it eventually, but there are problems with it. For the throws, it's probably best if you actually have some Judo background before hand, or at the very least have a good Judo book to cross reference the throwing mechanics with (Kodokan Judo Throwing Techniques by Toshiro Daigo a Kodokan 10th dan). The way his technique is shown in the book is sloppy at times.