Judo - For me?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by xubis, Jan 28, 2004.

1. xubis

xubis New Member

Hey, I am thinking of taking up Judo, could someone tell me if it would be a good idea. I am looking for an art to integrate with Shotokan. I would like to learn some ground grappling/locks, standing controls by wrist locks etc, and some practicle throws.

Thanks.

Xu

2. redbull

redbull New Member

if u are looking for grappling then judo is the right art.

3. totality

totality New Member

mostly you're going to be getting throws. at least with sport judo. many schools put little emphasis on the other phases of combat.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I took Judo to contemplate my karate. I really enjoyed the class, and it went well with the karate. The main thing that struck me first of all was because the names for the techniques are different, its a lot easier to seperate the two arts and not get mixed up (which was a problem I had when I took 2 types of karate)

Judo does groundwork and throws. First lesson you can expect to do 4 throws, your groundwork, learn some breakfalls and be introduced to sparring. It doesn't seem to cover wrist locks, but I'm probably wrong on that.

The only major criticism I can level at it is that it can be too competition focused. I really recommend you try it out though, its great fun regradless, and only you can see how well it will fit with your Shotokan.

5. ranger

ranger New Member

kodokan is good

6. xubis

xubis New Member

OK guys, and KGirl ;P, thanks

7. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

I agree that it's geared too much towards competition because some GREAT moves are banned... no wrist locks (pretty much the elbow is the only joint you can attack), no leg/ankle/hip locks, and no FLYING SCISSORS!!!! ugh! oh well its still a great art.... and its also good to have a good sensei (especially one who shows you all the illegal moves :D ) but its important to realize that all systems must have some regulations inorder to maintain the safety of students

I've taken shotokan karate, ju jutsu, aikido, and kickboxing and a lil tai chi and i can honestly tell you that judo has benefited me the most...

whatever you take from it, it will help... some like it for the ground/grappling work, physical improvement, spiritual improvement, self-defense, and so on and so on... the benefits are endless.... judo is a great compliment for anything

8. xubis

xubis New Member

Hmm... Ok, now I am getting off topic of the forum, sorry, but what about JuJitsu, I have a school a little way from here.

9. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

you should definatley try judo, as should everyone in my opinion.
    a good friend of mine was a second dan in shotokan, blue belt in judo and did ameture wrestleing. he was one of the finest martial artists i knew. he loved both systems and thought they worked well together.

on the other hand, i tried shotokan and hated it.

for wrist locks and leg locks and stuff, ju jutsu may be better. or aikido.
    there is an art called taiho-jutsu which mixes judo with aikido, so this might be a good option for you if there is a club nearby.
    the taiho-jutsu club i went to for a bit ignored the judo side of thier system almost completley. if you try this system make sure you go to a good club.

10. ranger

ranger New Member

try it man. your lucky you have many jujitsu and judo schools in your area. sad to say there's none that i know of here in my area. me? when i saw aikido in the bulletin board in one of our gym here i immediately ask permission to join right then and there. no observations no questions ask. :) until later did my sensei introduced me to kodokan that i was able to practice judo. well, i used kodokan judo to get me used to body contact. :)

11. Mordred

Mordred New Member

I recently started Jujutsu, coming from a Ninjutsu background. I'm really enjoying it, the techniques are all practical and I really enjoy the grappling.

I have tried Aikido but I'm finding Jujutsu suits me better.

I don't know judo at all, but why don't you try both and see which one you like best?

12. saikyou

saikyou New Member

yup. better try them both and pick the one w/c suits you best.

13. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

I did Judo for a couple of years as a youngster and loved it.

I've been doing Shotokan for 18 years now and I'm just about to start judo (BJA) again . . . alongside my Karate. I'm sure I can only benefit from it.

Oh, I also started Ryu Kyu Kobujutsu (Okinawan Weapons) a couple of months ago too.

And I thought by my age I would have started to slow down! If anything I'm more enthusiastic than ever!

14. lwicks

lwicks New Member

Hi, you may find that BJC judo complements Karate even better. They seem to have a stronger tie to old fashioned Judo/Kodokan Judo.

Shotokan, if memory serves is the style that is most closely associated with Funokoshi-sensei. Kano & Funokoshi were contempories and I believe they even shared dojo space at some stage.

Anyway...
    A bit of trivia for you.

Lance

15. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

Lance, you are right about Kano and Funakoshi (Funakoshi held him in very high regard).

I had looked into the BJC but the closest club to me is about 20 miles away . . . and I'm already travelling over 200 miles per week to train.

16. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

Further on the Kano and Funakoshi relationship.

In one of the final sections of Kano's book Kodokan Judo he has atemi-waza techniques, in particular the exercise Tandoku Renshu. The techniques illustrated look pretty similar to (Shotokan) karate punches, open hand strikes and kicks. There are some particularly nice low kicks to the knee which Shotokan folk on longer spend time on but used to be taught by Funakoshi.

Similarly in Funakoshi's book, Karate-Do Kyohan (The Master Text) a later section illustrates throwing techniques. 9 throws are illustrated and reference is made to "others". I recognise about 4 of these throws having similar judo equivalents.

So interesting to see cross-training in Japan in the early 20th century! Shame neither of the MAs kept the relationship going. By the 60's -70's most Judo classes no longer had atemi-waza and Shotokan Karate no longer had throws (apart from basic foot sweeps and takedowns).

17. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I never new that Kano and Funakoshi new each other, not suprising though as Kano seems to have trained with every prominent MAist in Japan around that era, the quintessential X-trainer ;)

I've always felt Kano to be the most humble of the Japanese 'Icons' as he sent his student to train under many different masters, not something you saw many of the others doing.

Anyway, back to the topic :D

Col