Judo compatibility with other arts in 2016

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Prizewriter, Jan 5, 2016.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

back to the original question
    Judo compatibility with other arts in 2016

If we are talking specific grappling arts such as BJJ, well if you were going to a judo club before 2016 it was probably to learn takedowns and throws not ground work because what you were learning in your BJJ class wasn’t good enough on your feet, the question is if this is still the case where else are you going to go to learn throws and takedowns if not the local Judo club? Wrestling and sambo in the UK and most western counties outside north America is virtually non-existent especially when compared to the availability of good quality judo instruction, and even in the states wrestling is mainly aimed at college and school kids not adults, not sure if many places run it for adults outside of MMA clubs? And wrestling for MMA is different from strict wrestling in terms of distance, set ups, the level you need to change to to hit a double etc and so on. So just as with Judo you would have to make allowances and changes especially if submissions are allowed
    So what are your alternatives? Seriously what are they if you wanted to learn throws and takedowns outside of your BJJ club near to you?
    For me if I wanted to learn wrestling its an hour long drive to Birmingham or Leicester and even in Leicester you would have to know the right guys in the Indian community to even get into the club (and to be quite frank that makes me lucky as I seem to live close to the major centre of wrestling in the UK) ….and even then the guys in the club admit the levels not great because the level of competition in the UK is such that there are very few good players, unlike judo where you can find good players to test yourself against in most local clubs.

If we are talking non grappling arts such as striking arts and using judo to compliment them in a self-defence point of view then Judo for me still makes a good fit, you learn how to throw a guy wearing a jacket, how to sweep his feet from under him, and how to choke him out and break his arms, if you are only interested in self defence and adding grappling to your skill set for that point of view a limited grounding in fast aggressive ground work, plenty of standing work to learn how to stay on your feet and take the other guy off his makes sense.

Im not arguing that modern day judo is a perfect fit for BJJ, or submission wrestling or the street, im asking what alternatives are better?

The beauty of judo is that its readily available everywhere, fairly good teaching standards across the board, very cheap and has a good competitive base, and tthe reasons for this is its an OL sport, and the changes made recently are with the goal of actually ensuring the sport stays in the games, they might not be perfect but they are understandable from that point of view.

2. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

If the aim is to get better at BJJ competition, I think a rational cost-benefit would suggest you simply don't bother. Judo is hard on the body, carries a high injury risk and is of very marginal benefit for sport BJJ (with the possible exception of the highest couple of weight classes).

For being a more complete martial artist or street-fighting/turning-into-Daredevil, go for it, Judo is awesome. I'd practise at least a YouTube-level sprawl, though, given the wide prevalence of the bad rugby-tackle.

P.S. Pure wrestling classes without strikes etc. are pretty common at MMA clubs, at least in London. Where I train for example we do freestyle but just don't bother with too much par terre to maximise the cross-over.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  3. BohemianRapsody

BohemianRapsody Valued Member

Two things really bug me about the current state of judo. The elimination of leg attacks and, even worse, the whole pancake be waza strategy. Wait, did I say strategy? I meant travesty.

There is no possible worse habit to acquire in a combat sport.

Now you've got me all worked up. I'm gonna go into my closet, hold my old Gis and have a good cry.