ju jitsu warm up

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by ade1971, Nov 22, 2013.

1. ade1971

ade1971 Valued Member

hello again having been training in ju jitsu for over two years I still find myself struggling with warm up . Being over 40 I was wondering how I could get fit I have no real time do running or cycling .Is there good circuit training workout I should be doing as my body weight routine isn't helping thanks

2. BudJJKa

BudJJKa Valued Member

Try the insanity workout you can do it in your own home at your own speed.
    just out of curiosity where and with who do you train?

3. righty

righty Valued Member

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. If you have time to circuit train then you have time to run.

Rather than circuit training which can actually be quite vague I would go for some variety of interval training. Choose an activity you can do e.g. running, skipping, burpees whatever.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The Insanity workout takes up to 45 minutes a day, 6 days a week. If he's got enough time for that, he should look at an easier program first (e.g. Couch to 5K, which is 30 minutes 3x a week, although do try Insanity if you can because it will give the cardio of the T-1000 from Terminator 2!)

The issue you need to address here is the "warm-up" itself, however. You shouldn't be struggling in any sense of the word. A warm-up is supposed to prepare you for class by leading you through movements that gradually increase in range, speed and - most importantly - specificity for the main activity (your ju-jitsu class). Some cardio is fine, so a few minutes of marching on the spot followed by light jogging. You need to see your doctor if you can't handle that. But you definitely shouldn't be doing sprints, push-ups, sit-ups, etc.

5. ade1971

ade1971 Valued Member

yes you can ask where I train . At kings School of Martial Arts with my Instructor is Paul King

6. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

I use my wife's wii fit. Once you unlock free jogging, you can jog for 20 or 20 minutes, and it allows you to turn the TV over so you can watch normal programs and speaks instructions to you thought he wii remote.

So you can watch TV, and work on your cardio :)

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Karl Gotch bible - all you need is a deck of cards and a bucket to puke in

You take a deck of cards.. For advanced training leave two Jokers in. Shuffle a LOT

Black cards are squats and red cards are push-ups.

Every time you deal a black card, you do twice the amount of repetitions as the face value of the dealt card. This means, if you get a black 8, you do 16 squats. If you get a black Ace, you do 22 squats.

Every time you get a red card, you do push-ups. This time you do the actual value of the face card. If you get a red 8, you do 8 push-ups. If you get a red Ace, you do 11 push-ups.

Simple: Spades are regular Hindu Squats
    Simple: Diamonds are regular Hindu Push-Ups

Advanced:Spades are regular Hindu Squats, Clubs are Jumper Squats. The first Joker you pull means you do regular 40 hindu-squats consecutively.
    Advanced:Diamonds are regular Hindu Push-Ups, Hearts are 1/2 Moon Push-Ups. The second Joker you pull means you do 20 push-ups consecutively.

Work your way up to completing a deck or keep track of the time it takes you to do a deck.

Advanced finish: Hold a wrestler's bridge with the best form possible try to hold it for as long as three minutes.

Karl would do 2 decks back to back

8. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I think that would kill me, I could probably manage 3 cards before I collapsed with exhaustion.

I really need to pull my finger out.