Ju Jitsu and Taijitsu overlap

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Infesticon #1, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Hi folks, I was hoping some of the more experienced forum members could provide me with some more information on how much overlap there is between Koryu Ju Jitsu and taijitsu.

I'm hoping to supplement my once weekly Ju Jitsu lesson (2 Hrs, 1 hr Kaiten/Ukemi + Randori, 1 hr Kata. Once a month 1 hr Kenjutsu) with a local Taijitsu club that also train once a week for 2 hours.

Any help is much appreciated :)

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It depends on what Koryu it is, and what Tai jutsu it is.

A Randori centred koryu is also quite rare, if you dont mind me asking, what Ryu -ha is it?

3. Dead_pool

Edit

1) I see your training here - http://ninnikudojo.webs.com/aboutus.htm

In which case, you should try Judo. As another taijutsu school might not like you cross training with them, and the judo will help your understanding of grips, timing and motion.

4. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I may well have got something wrong, 3rd lesson tonight. Was basically hoping to get more practice with Kaiten/Ukemi and anything else is a bonus.

I think I mention the Ryu - ha he draws from in the Ju Jitsu forum. The main ones are Hontai Takagi Yoshin Ryu, Asayama Ichiden Ryu, Daito Ryu and Goshinjutsu

He trained with Tanemura Shoto Sensei and received a teaching license.

5. Dead_pool

Tai jutsu is the term that any xkan off shoots usually use.

In which case you could either

1) buy some mats and train at home with dojo friends.
    2) Try Judo and get plenty of ukemi practise in
    3) Try to find another taijutsu dojo that doesnt mind you also training with their competitors.

Out of all of the options taking a few Judo classes is the easiest and best one.

6. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Ah ok. The lesson I saw advertised was £5 per lesson, which seemed pretty good to me, now I'm thinking I should have did the Judo session at the Map meet!

I obviously have to give this more thought.

Thank you for your help.

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Ah the good old when is a koryu a koryu or is a koryu a Koryu. :confused:

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Don't mix and match yet.

Fusen has made a good call, if you want to get more mat time in do Judo.

And get some more Kenjutsu in man!! :D

9. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

My Bokken will arrive tomorrow (Along with Gi & Hakama) I will of course run through the 2 cuts I have been shown and maybe just do the 1 kata I've been shown.

I'll look into local Judo clubs... soon, honest!

10. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

It looks like they are part of Peter Vermeeren's group. He is the former Genbukan Shibu-Cho of Spain.

11. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Yes this is the correct information for my Ju Jitsu class.

12. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

Like others have stated, I'd recommend cross-training classical Jujutsu with Judo. If you train in an X-Kan, you'll get plenty of Takagi Yoshin, Kukishin, Asayami Ichiden, and other Jujutsu. Throw in some Judo for more conditioning, randori and newaza, and I'd say you're covered.

Trust me, if you join the Genbukan Kokusai Jujutsu, you'll have more classical Jujutsu than you know what to do with. Focusing on even one of the Ryuha is a life-long endeavor.

13. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I have looked into it more, I will still try the free Ninjutsu lesson, but there is a local Judo club that is cheaper, so I will most likely go there.

14. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Be careful..

From Ninjutsu above I assume you mean Bujinkan? As you mentioned them in another thread.

But in a different thread and this one you mention a Genbukan instructor?

Are you aware it's in the rules of both organisations that you may not train in the other?

Your instructor may not mind, but be careful you don't offend them - I would see what they think first, perhaps test the water by asking their opinion on the Bujinkan...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  15. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Thanks for that information, I was completely unaware of that!

I think I will just stick with the Ju Jutsu class.

16. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

The website says;

'The style of Jujutsu practiced in the dojo is gendai (modern)'

Definitely not a Koryu, but also doesn't look like they're trying to pass themselves off as one either, think maybe the OP is getting confused??

17. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

No problem!!

18. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I am getting confused, still very new to Japanese MA and am quite likely to get a lot of stuff wrong!

19. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

No problem, it looks to me like a new system based on old Koryu systems - so Classic techniques, but not a Koryu in itself.

This is what Bujinkan, Genbukan, KJJR, are basically - they include Koryu but aren't Koryu if you follow??

Your dojo instructor looks to be ex-Genbukan, so potentially a good foundation - if you enjoy it and the instructor is good I think you're making a good call sticking with that - like others have said, if you want more mat time and ukemi practice try Judo!!

20. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I think I'm beginning to understand. They have the same or similar techniques but they aren't trained the same way and the dojo etiquette is different?

The instructor seems very good to me, he seems to know a lot about different styles of martial arts and keeps emphasising that the fundamentals have to be there or anything else won't work.

Things have changed slightly since I created this thread also, he's going to try doing 2 classes a week. So unless I really want a third session a week I'll just do the Ju Jutsu.... and Tae Kwon Do, they're pretty different so I think it'll be ok.