‘Ju Che’ to ‘Ko Dang’ name change

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Rob T., Jul 2, 2008.

1. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Hold on... I teach a bunch of moves, not a philosophy (and definatly not that of Kim)!!! And TBH, I havnt really given it much thought until recently with the ITF-C thing.

I only have 1 second dan and when I showed him the pattern I also taught/informed him why it was there and what it really stands for (meaning what Juche is in reality) which brought the NK situation to his attention, whereas it wasnt before!!

As Im no longer part of the ITF I could in theory change to Kodang (or follow what the ITF-C have done albiet differently) and not have to do the above (which is something Im actually considering) and never have to explain the situation again to any students.. but is that a good thing or a bad thing.. as me teaching Juche makes absolutley no different to the poor people of NK's plight, but me teaching it and explaining the 'whys' etc. does allow highlighting of their plight.. so what is better!!!

Like I said, its in consideration!

Stuart

2. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I've obviously never done juche, but I have heard it's a good, hard pattern?!! I don't agree with why it's in the syllabus. In my world, I'd change the name and meaning, then bring back Ko-Dang as a forth 2nd dan pattern.

Also to those who do practice/teach Ko-Dang. Do you use sine wave? Or was it out before sine wave came about? I ask because I've never seen this pattern before.

3. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

The pattern was certainly in existence by 1965: It was included in the first English edition of Choi's Taekwon-Do: The Korean Art of Self Defence which predated the formal introduction of Sine Wave by decades. Furthermore I believe the TAGB do not use the Sine Wave but do use Ko-Dang, so as an answer to your question it will depend on each organisation - specifically, when the organisation split with the ITF (if it ever did) and whether this was before or after the creation of Juche and/or the introduction of the sine wave.

4. StuartA

5. ayrshiretkd

ayrshiretkd Valued Member

as an itf-c member i'm hoping he's not chucked in a south korean prison cell when he goes back as master choi is supposed to be coming to scotland for a seminar in a couple of weeks time. as for the juche to kodang situation i think it's all down to our itf making moves to go back to south korea and the juche philosophy and it's nk links had to go or it would never have happened.

6. StuartA

Well, from what Ive read so far it seems unlikely he`ll be imprisioned due to the fact that he has already served time for the offence in Canada.

As for the Juche/Kodang change thing.. I may be playing devils advocate, but Im left wondering if it was for the benefit of ITF-C or a more personal thing.. after all, hes the man in power and making a massive change like that would be a big gesture to SK Government.. I'm wondering if thats the main incentive here, after all, the change could have been made years ago if they hated the whole Juche thing so much and the lack of thought into doing it seems or looks like a result of hurring it in! Plus Ive heard no mention of ITF-C saying they wanted their HQ in SK!

Though I could of course be totally wrong...

7. ayrshiretkd

ayrshiretkd Valued Member

i don't think it's so much relocating the hq to south korea but getting more korean masters as they are in short supply since severing ties with the chang ung group. have a look at this as it makes for an interesting read.
    http://www.itf-administration.com/articles.asp?arturn=1045

p.s stuart looking forward to next months article in combat about this very topic

8. StuartA

I have read it before and it makes interesting reading:

According to the article.. "Offically ITF returned to Korea in 2004"... now "theres over 800 Instructors of 4th degree and above"!!!.. in 4 years :eek:

Sorry, Devils Advocate hat remains on :)

Stuart

Ps. ITF-C aint gonna like that article LOL :mad: Shame I didnt know about this when it was written.. adds another dimension to the whole affair!

9. Ghazgrim

Ghazgrim Valued Member

I hope all goes well for Choi Jung Hwa, he was my instructor for so many years.

10. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

You don't have to, you can just use the sanitized pattern defintion

11. StuartA

The 2nd part of the article never made it for some reason... so you can read it here

Regards,

Stuart