Journey to be Ready for Competition

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Hive, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I liked your trip at 5:40.

Still yet to see the vid in full though (work :( )

2. flat1985

flat1985 Valued Member

I am looking to start Sanda but cant find that much information about it is it quite big in the uk?

3. Hive

Hive Valued Member

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh man! I'm such a douchcanoe! I totally forgot about this thread and never responded after asking if you wanted critique. Sorry man!

One of the biggest things I noticed is you lacked aggressiveness and you looked pretty tense throughout. When you attacked you did well, but you didn't keep attacking enough. You also had a lot of opportunity to use your jab a lot more to create distance which you didn't seem to utilize. When you're fighting a shorter guy your long punches/kicks will be your best friend. Overall I didn't think you did too bad, you were just tense and didn't throw your hands and feet enough. Honestly it all just seems like normal first fight stuff, nothing to be worried about but definitely something to work on. Getting dinged good in the leg is just an unfortunate experience of fighting. :p

5. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

One reason you're getting leg kicked and taken down when you come forward is that you often step your back foot first rather than your front, which leaves your legs a bit close together and in a bad position to defend (check or sprawl).

That said, you looked pretty composed for your first time out and your opponent clearly knew what he was doing.

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Just save it for high resolution viewing (1080p displays) and Movie Maker will do the rest (it will convert to MP4).

Before you even took shots you looked very flat footed, very static and very tense (tense is a given if it's your first fight so don't worry too much, you'll get over that). Get on your toes more and you will find yourself more mobile and able to react to attacks faster. You need to be a bit more dynamic for faster defending and faster counter attacking.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  7. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Have to say, it is odd watching the fight on video. What I felt on the mat looks different to what is on my monitor as I watch it again having read your comments.

No doubt I was tense, but I think the dead leg makes me look even more tense than I think I felt I was at the time. Within the first 35 seconds I've taken 4 kicks to my left thigh and from then on it felt like I was wading through a few feet of water whenever I tried to close in on my opponent to try to get some punches in.

Lack of aggressiveness. Yeah, one of my friends who I spar with sometimes says exactly the same :(
    Takedowns. In normal sparring I have always seemed susceptible. It's one of my weakest areas. Having the dead leg exaggerated my vulnerability there. Meh.
    Flat footed. Yup. Am very aware of it but it seems to be something that's very hard to get out of. I am also way too upright in sparring. Another hard habit to break.

PS - Uploading to YouTube issues. Turns out you don't do anything. Once upload is complete it's available at low resolution instantly but it takes time to process availability in higher resolutions. Within 10 minutes 1080p was select-able as a viewing option :)

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sure the dead leg made you seem more tense. I've had those before and they suck! If you get light on your toes your leg will have more give (and you can react quicker) which would help negate some of the impact. These are fine detail things though, and I'm sure somebody with a kickboxing background could give you way better info. then what I can.

As far as being flatfooted, it's really easy to fix. Jump rope, jump some more rope, and then jump some more rope. Seriously, do at least 30 minutes a workout, and upwards around 60 minutes on days you're working on footwork. I was really flatfooted when I was boxing until I decided to spend more time on the rope, and after a few weeks I was a different person. Also focusing on it while sparring of course. It's an easy fix, it just takes a lot of time to work on.

How long have you been training and how many rounds do you think you've put in sparring? Aggressiveness is trained, and people on the starting end of combative sports often have the problem of "throwing their hands" (or feet). It's just something you have to focus on when training and be conscious of until it becomes second nature.

Again, overall you looked decent. When you did throw, you threw pretty well. You just need to throw more!

9. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Figures, as I'm not very good at skipping, but I will give it a go.

As for experience, I joined my Sanshou club in October 2012. We spar every class, varying from 10 to 30 minutes. I think I have a couple of issues that I have failed to adapt to which have effected me a lot.

1 - When I joined I was 20kg heavier, all fat and had no lungs to fight. This meant I was always very conservative.
    2 - My club has a few competition winners. They're all really good, which again, forces someone like me to always be on the back foot against such opponents. When everyone is faster, fitter, more experienced I've ended up just trying to counter.

Put those two together and you end up with someone who's used to being conservative to manage limited cardio against superior opponents, forcing a counter-attack and hope you survive style of fighting lol.

The only thing I am happy with from that day is that I held the middle a lot. In sparring, I'm getting forced off all the time.

10. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Hive, I got my leg crushed in the first seconds of my first fight as well - makes a long round doesn't it? :)

Well done for fighting, I hope you enjoyed it and learned from it - that's what it is all about