Journey to be Ready for Competition

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Hive, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

How is your cardio training coming along?

I missed the original topic but here's my 2.0 anyway. I like to develop a base level of cardio that lets me keep going at a rate of 70-80% of my heart rate reserve (around 150-160bpm) for 1.5-2x the duration of the fight. This includes rest periods. Example: I'm fighting 5 x 2-minute rounds. That's 10 minutes. Add in 1 minute of rest between rounds 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 and 4-5, and that's 14 minutes of activity. I usually double this, so I would aim for being able to keep my heart rate as mentioned above for around 28 minutes so that it's at least comfortable. This is just the starting point. To simulate the anaerobic nature of the fight, I would then raise my heart rate to 80-90% of my heart rate reserve (160-170bpm) for 2 minutes, bringing it back down to around 70% for 1 minute. I usually do this for the number of rounds I'll be fighting, plus 1 or 2 extra for good measure.

2. Hive

Hive Valued Member

It's been ages since I posted in here, a lot of training time has passed! As it turned out, having the competition postponed from November to April has turned into a blessing. I have changed quite a bit in that time physically.

The harder I trained the more I lost weight. I am currently sitting at 65kg so will be competing in the category below what I'd originally planned. Hopefully it will mean my opponents won't hit as hard ;)

I like your exercise advise. I have been trying similar on the treadmill. Speed 13 or 14 for 2 minutes, then 1 minute speed 3, 13/14 2 minutes, 1 minute of 3 again etc etc as many times as I can handle. There is also a program on the rowing machines which is 30 seconds max speed, 30 seconds rest, repeated over and over as many 'laps' as you can handle. That kills me after a while.

3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

They'll probably hit you just as hard if not harder due to the speed of their striking.

4. Hive

Hive Valued Member

*starts eating dozens of pizzas and kebabs to go up a division*

5. Hive

Hive Valued Member

The competition is this Sunday. I'm so excited and scared at the same time :D

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Good luck man! Get video!

7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Good luck! Relax and just go for it. Look forward to a write up and video if possible.

Osu!

Dan

8. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Had my fight today.

I was awful, so am on a real downer. Early on in the first round my kick defence was non-existent and I found myself unable to move with a severe dead leg. Had zero mobility after that and just couldn't box for ****. My opponent played a perfect game against me once it was apparent I couldn't move. Kept going for takedowns and with my left thigh shattered and right mildly hurt I offered feeble resistance each time.

Pre-fight, my expectations were that if I lost I'd be battered and bruised but I literally only have painful thighs. It's as if I've merely had a tough game of football (soccer to you Americans) so it's a bit surreal that I've had a full on fight with someone and have nothing really to show for it (having lost).

Just disappointed I didn't do myself justice. Don't get me wrong, I know I am not good, but I should have done better. Although I can't help but feel that I was quick to tire having starved myself to make the weigh in. I want to try to bulk up, get stronger, try to get fitter too and give it a go one day in the under 70s.

EDIT - I uploaded my fight to YouTube but it comes out in rubbish 360. On my phone it's in 1080p. I can't see how to sort it on the upload options. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Well we wanna see.

Great stuff getting in there in the 1st place. I assume nerves got the better?

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Move the video from your phone to a computer and use windows moviemaker to convert it for high resolution viewing.

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

First off, congrats for competing dude. That takes guts, regardless of the outcome. You didn't win this time, but I'm willing to wager that the experience of competing will have given you something to mull over and ideas on how to improve as a result, which is always a big plus point.

How far was the weigh in before the fight, about an hour or so?

12. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Not sure if it was nerves. I think I was more nervous of making the weigh in to be honest. It was just that I messed up early on, leaving my forward leg exposed to a good kicking which just crippled me for the rest of the match.

Unreal Combat - what file format should I be converting it to please? Thanks in advance.

13. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Weigh ins began at 9am and I was one of the first. Soon as I weighed in I stuffed my face. My fight didn't start until after 11:20 I think.

14. Hive

Hive Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmfqZEiLY0"]BCCMA Novice Sanshou 13th April 2014. Alan Fight - YouTube[/ame]

Just...could...not...move :(

15. Ero-Sennin

16. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Ah yes sorry, I'm crippled chap in red.

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Dude, those were some vicious shots early on to your leg, no wonder you had difficulty moving :eek:

18. Ero-Sennin

Have you been offered any commentary by your coach/trainer yet? And are you looking for comments in this thread?

19. Hive

Hive Valued Member

I have no ego, fire away with all criticisms :D

My Sifu put it down to me having my legs exposed early on. I simply did not check the kicks. He also said my guard was very poor and that I was constantly open to high roundhouse kicks but my opponent didn't take advantage of that.

20. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

unlucky, but it was your 1st fight, it's all a learning curve and I am sure you will do better next time!