Journal of Aaradia's MA Journey

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by aaradia, Feb 14, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Monday, June 17, 2019 - aha! Let's try to write this down the same day, before I forget things! :p

6:32 - Sup Ji Kau Da. I was happy with my progress today.

7:00 - CLF group class. Instructor worked on terminology while doing stance training, then broke down a beginning level technique in detail. It happened to be the first technique I ever learned.

7:30 - Solo practice. CLF - Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choi. Hand Breaking Fan, 3 section staff and Ping Kuen. Ping Kuen is not going very well. Been spending so much time on Sup Ji Kau Da that my memory on this one is suffering. It's just going to take more time of practice and instructor review. TCC- went through my format for my next test. Small Circle Fast form. Wasn't too happy with it today. 9 Dragon Spear, Wind Chasing Fan, Double Gim and Buddha Palm. Then I did some of the beginning of the Fajing form. Working on re-memorizing it a few moves at a time. And the double fan. Which I think I have successfully relearned by studying the script! Yay! I did spend some time on the script today too. but I could do the form without looking at it.

9:38 - School closes

My right knee is hurting a lot today. Affecting my stances. :(

3 hours and 6 minutes

2. aaradia

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 -

6:30 - Two person practice with Ms. B. All stuff for her next test. 9 star, Golden Leopard vs Tiger, and two person staff.

7:00 - Forms practice with Ms. T and Ms. P. Ms. M is still out for a few weeks. Ms. R couldn't make it today. Ms. P was an advanced student who left a few years ago and returned a few months ago. She is in the process of remembering her forms. The ones she is practicing she did with us, the other ones, she either watched to jog her memory, or did what she could. Formal Exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu, Small 5 animal, stick, staff, spear, broadsword and butterfly knives.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Still working on Sup Ji Kau Da. I am making progress, slowly, but getting there. Then review and corrections of 3 secton staff We got through most of it before running out of time. Good news is, I seem to be remembering it correctly. I did it recently and it seemed shorter. Which either meant I am getting it down OR I was forgetting a chunk of it. I wasn't sure which until today.:D:p

8:30 - worked on end bit of 3 section staff that I didn't get to in lesson.

9:10 - left school. Could have stayed a few minutes longer before they fully closed up, but I knew I would be there a long time tomorrow.

2 hours and 40 minutes

3. aaradia

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 - Took the day off work to help out at a test. I could have just taken part of the day off. But as long as I was taking time off, I went for a full day.

10:30 - arrived and ran through two person stuff with Ms. B. Then Solo practice. The big room had the test, so I did Tai Chi in the smaller matted area. Double Gim, Wind Chasing Fan, Flute, Small Circle Fast form. Fajing form. I am re-,memorizing this one. I asked the Assistant Chief Instructor to re-show me the next few moves. He started to show me the whole thing. I said I didn't think I could re-memorize that big a chunk at once. He reminded me of the conversation we had on Saturday. The discussion about not setting limitations and automatic negative thoughts (ANTS). So, guess what? He showed me and I DID remember the whole thing. At least I ran through it on my own a few times afterwards. It actually felt too short, like a part was missing. but I think that is because EVERYTHING feels short after learning all 250 moves of Sup Ji Kau Da. I also started to try to do the TCC sabre, but got stuck at the beginning, so I didn't get far at all with it.

I dunno, an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half later, I came in to do two person stuff with Ms. B for her test. 9 star, Golden Leopard vs Tiger and 2 person staff. I think it went well! I did a minor flub, but she looked at me and we got right through it. I don't think it showed to others much, if at all. Also, that is part of what they are looking for. Can the people work through a mistake and keep going? This only comes with lots of hours of practice and, for me, knowing your partner. We were only asked to do one side of GL V T and the 2 person staff. Which means it must have gone ok. This happens at tests. They may only ask for one side, or maybe both. One has to be ready to do it all. Partly, it is the mood of the Sifu's etc. running the test. In this case, our school founder, Tai Sigung. If one doesn't do too well on the first side, one will most likely have to do the second side. So, one side means we didn't mess up too badly!

Then back to solo practice. List above covers this time frame too. Then, I was called in to be Ms. B's opponent for sparring and stick fighting. I was pretty happy with how I did. Hey, you still try to win, even if not testing yourself. The idea is to truly test your partner/ opponent, make them earn that sash!

I watched the sash presentation, which was her and two others. Man, other people's test are almost as awesome as testing yourself. I was SO HAPPY for them all! But especially my friend! Yay and cheers to the 3 newest black sashes in my school!

Then, I moved into the big room. And did some CLF practice. Wooden Dummy and Sup Ji Kau Da. Ping Kuen, which isn't going easily or well. I really need my instructor to go over some parts with me again. 3 section staff. Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choi. Ms. R showed up and we chatted some and got in some two person practice. Bonus that I wasn't expecting today! The one side of Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern- me doing the Cross Pattern side. And both sides of Broadsword vs Spear. TCC spear.

At some point, I asked Tai Sifu if he saw anything I needed to work on from what I did at the test. I told him I knew his focus was on the students actually testing, but hey, it never hurts to ask for input. He didn't see anything glaring. But he said if he thought of something he would let me know.

Also, I finally felt a little less nervous around Tai Sigung. Hey, again, it wasn't my test, but in a way it was a test. In that, anytime the founder of your school is looking at you, you are under scrutiny. I guess I mean, it isn't a formal test, but anytime around high ranking instructors in a setting like that IS a type of informal test? I hope that makes sense.

What a fun day off work!

4:20 - All I could think about was food. Time to go home. I didn't eat healthy though. Ordered a pizza to pick up on the way home. Not healthy, but very tasty!

And the end of an era really. Ms. B Ms. M and I started doing techniques practice together a while ago. And various incarnations of two person practice. It became a sort of informal pact. Never stated as one, but it became one in our minds. To see all of us through with this practice through our black sashes. Mission accomplished!

We won't be doing our techniques practice any longer. We don't need it for future tests. We will all be staying up on them, but they won't be as high a priority. Also, I will be going to the last half of TCC group class on Tuesdays now. Ms. B may be (and is certainly welcome to) join Ms. M and my two person practice on Fridays. (We had talked about this previously.)

Now is a time to look at my workout schedule, think of goals, and make some changes.

I will mark some time off for chatting, but not much. It was a good long productive day.

5 hours and 25 minutes

axelb likes this.
  4. aaradia

Thursday, June 20, 2019 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class.

7:00 - Tai Sifu CLF class. Today was the type of class I love. Super detailing out every minute detail of using a stick.

8:00 - TCC private lesson. Double Gim, Small Circle Fast form, Buddha Palm and Wind Chasing Fan. My instructor was very happy with my stuff today. Relatively few corrections compared to usual. And he set up an observation with Tai Sifu for next week.

8:30 - Some TCC. Can't remember what.

9:00 - School closes

2 hours and 30 Minutes

Friday, June 21, 2019 -

5:20ish - Ms. M showed up for the advanced TCC class, but that class was cancelled and will be rescheduled. We did some TCC pattern push hands to prepare for her upcoming test. Also, some extremely light practice of moving step techniques. I missed her! I will be so glad when she is fully up to all types of practice. But I am glad she is recovering. I did take some time to chat and catch up with her.

6:00 - Weapon forms class. Broadsword. Well, I decided to join this class today. Because my CLF instructor was teaching it today. Great details. And it reinforced the idea that when he goes back over my older curriculum materials, he is going to have a lot of corrections for me. :D

6:30 - Stick fighting class. Also taught by my CLF teacher. This all reminded me WHY I picked him for my instructor when my long term instructor left. He is just a fantastic instructor. He focused on my big weakness- light footwork. Afterwards, I told him that once I get this level of curriculum stuff memorized, I REALLY look forward to taking some time in my lesson to do some combatives training with him. It is something we discussed as doing before. But he wants me to get all my curriculum stuff down for this level first.

7:00 - Solo practice. CLF - Wooden Dummy, Sup Ji Kau Da, Ping Kuen. I asked Tai Sifu for help in remembering the sticking points I have in Ping Kuen. This is the form with the most sticking points memory wise for me right now. Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choi. Hand Breaking Fan and 3 section staff. TCC - Small Circle Fast form, Double Gim, Wind Chasing Fan. Can't remember if I did Buddha Palm or not. I think I did?

9:18 - school closes

3 hours and 45 minutes

Saturday, June 22, 2019 - Work all day/ rest day

Sunday, June 23, 2019 - Rest day

2018 Total Hours = 684 hours and 06 minutes

2019 Week 25 = 17 hours and 26 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 282 hours and 42 minutes

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  5. aaradia

Monday, June 24, 2019 -

6:30 - CLF solo practice Sup Ji Kau Da

7:00 - CLF group class. The instructor is starting to drill Chinese terminology, which I love. Basics of strikes and a lot of stance training. My right knee was really bugging me today.

7:30 - Solo practice. CLF - Ping Kuen- still stuck a lot, but making improvements. Wooden dummy. TCC- ran through my test format. Small Circle Fast form, 9 dragon spear, Wind Chasing Fan, Buddha Palm and double gim. Also, I seem to have the Fajing form re-memorized now. Thanks to an instructor who pushed me to stop limiting myself and try to get the whole form back at once, not just in small increments. He was right. Double Fan, I seem to have it re-memorized successfully from reading the script.

9:40ish? - school closes. Time is an estimate. I forgot to look and see when exactly, but it seemed a tad on the earlier side.

3 hours and 10 minutes

axelb likes this.
  6. aaradia

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 -

6:30 - Well, my schedule is changing now. No more two person practice at this time with Ms. B. She tested, so I am going to the last half of TCC class. This instructor goes over curriculum materials other instructors don't during group class. Some of the more advanced materials. Today it was the Sabre, which is really good as I tried to do it the last week and couldn't remember it properly. Then a little push hands drills at the end.

7:00 - Forms practice with Ms. R and Ms. T. Stick, staff, butterfly knives, spear and Broadsord. Formal exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu and Small Five Animal. Then Ms. R and I did part of Sup Ji Kau Da.

8:00 - Private CLF lesson. Started with a review and corrections of broadsword vs spear with me doing the broadsword side. Ms. R joining in my lesson for this. I really need to get my guard hands sorted out properly! And jump better.

Then Sup Ji Kau Da and the end of the 3 section staff. Picking up where we left off last lesson.

8:30 - More practice with 3 section staff. I was having a bad day with the over and under flowers. Then a little TCC 54 Gim. Didn't get all the way through before the school closed.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - Evening Shift/ rest day.

axelb likes this.
  7. aaradia

Thursday, June 27, 2019 - forgot to do these right away, so some of the older ones will be sparse on details.:(

6:30 - Last half of TCC class

7:00 - Tai Sifu/ Advanced CLF class

8:00 - TCC Private lesson. Well, I was SUPPOSED to have an observation by Tai Sifu, but he messed up and didn't read the schedule right. He double booked an intro lesson at the same time. He felt bad and apologized profusely. We rescheduled the observation. So, regular lesson. Continued review of materials for my next test.

8:30 - can't remember what I did exactly.

2 hours and 30 minutes.

Friday, June 28, 2019 -

6:30 - Stick Fighting class. Various drills and a couple matches at the end.

7:00 - Solo practice. I know Sup Ji Kau Da, but I can't remember what else I did. I have got to fill this in right away.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Saturday, June 29, 2019 -

9:35ish - Two person practice with Ms. R. Just working on broadsword vs spear with me on the broadsword side. Really focusing on getting my guard hands in the right place at the right time.

10:00 - Advanced Push hands. Moving step class. Various drills and matches afterwards for both.

11:00 - Sparring class. Drills around the concept of a teep (sp?) kick. a front kick intended to push an oncoming opponent away and control distance. Then some light matches. Finished with a couple of rounds of bag work.

12:00 - Rest and chatting with fellow students

12:30ish- Solo practice. Forget what, but probably Sup Ji Kau Da.

1:00 - Stretching class.

1:30 - More solo practice. Again, forget what.

2:35ish - left early. Ms. M and I took Ms. B out for Sush to celebrate her testing for Black Sash! This was a tradition started with my fellow students taking me out and I wanted to continue it. We had a great time! Great food and even better company! We started working on stuff together a few years ago, and now we all made it to black sash! Long term goal achieved!

4 hours and 25 minutes

Sunday, June 30, 2019 - rest day

2019 Week 26 = 15 hours and 05 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 297 hours and 47 minutes

Travess likes this.
  8. aaradia

Monday, July 1, 2019 -

6:30 - Solo Practice. Sup Ji Kau Da.

7:00 - skipped group class. Ended up chatting with a fellow student who was asking for advice on goal setting/ organizing workout schedule towards black sash. Especially when mixing it with TCC and how to prioritize what when.

It's weird, but this happens regularly now. Ms. M and I both get students asking for advice about achieving black sash. I don't know why it surprises me as I asked the two regular black sashes the same thing when close to getting one myself. Still, it is weird to be the one others ask.

Anyways, it isn't a workout, but I am going to count it as part of my time as it was MA related. And I see it as part of the duties, as it were, as a student of this rank to help other students get there however I can.

7:35ish - Solo practice. CLF - Ping Kuen, which is not going smoothly at all. Hand Breaking Fan, 3 Section Staff. TCC - Format for my next test. Wind Chasing Fan, Buddha Palm, 9 Dragon Spear, Small Circle Fast Form and Double Gim. Also did some 54 gim and Sabre. The Saber is back - re-memorized - in my brain now. Some Fajing form too.

9:20ish - School closes. Closed earlier than usual. Giving the instructors a break on this holiday week I think. :)

2 hours and 50 minutes

Travess likes this.
  9. aaradia

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 - had the day off work because it is my birthday.

5:00 - Ms. R is working towards getting her brown fringe in TCC, So, I worked out with her on preparing for that. 1st half of 108 long form. Good thing, I need to get back to doing this. Plum Blossom Fan. A couple of sticking points, but I remember it surprisingly well for not doing it much lately. Then, we did some broadsword vs spear, me on the broadsword side. Again, my focus is on getting the guard hands down correctly.

6:00 - First half of TCC class. 8 pieces of brocade. 40 form with lots of details. Discussion by instructor, who is on a kick lately about practicing for maximum benefit, not just blindly going through materials.

I left early because my observation was at 6:30.

6:30 - TCC observation (for next test) with Tai Sifu. My instructor, of course, was also there. We went over Buddha Palm, Wind Chasing Fan, and the beginning of the 9 Dragon Spear. I had been joking the last few days with Tai Sifu. First off, teasing him about messing up the first scheduled observation. He really felt bad. I told him not to, just that I got teasing rights. ;)

I also told him I wanted 1 correction for every year, since it is my birthday. But he didn't get there. I had a really good observation! I went long ways sometimes between corrections, which worried me. See, the regular serious students know the worst thing Tai Sifu can do is just tell you everything is great. It can sometimes mean he thinks you don't listen to his corrections and just want to hear how great you are doing. Some students are like that. I get it. If he keeps trying to help, and others repeatedly blow him off, why should he waste his time? But he knows I am not like that. And he usually gives me lots of corrections. I stopped and checked in with him. He reassured me that I really was doing that well and he wasn't as he puts it "blowing smoke up my nose."

I checked in later with my instructor and he reassured me as well. He said Tai Sifu kept leaning over and saying my stuff was looking great. He really liked my fajing in the spear form.

Ok, so I did have some corrections, it wasn't like I was perfect. HA! Mostly just continuing the theme of more body. My stances have improved greatly, but he said to keep lower on the cat stances, like I have been doing on other stances. And to reach back further - just a couple of inches - with my back shoulder.

A few directional details on Wind Chasing Fan, which seems to have some discrepancies between instructors. This will get ironed out for sure when our GM comes down next.

It was all advanced details, which is what I strive for. Not simple things my regular instructor tells me. Well, except one time. And I let Tai Sifu know my instructor had told me to do it that way.

We talked about how some days I just have my knee acting up and and can't do lower stances. And that I can't figure out a pattern to it. That I worried about that happening during my test. He told me he understood, that he also has days where injuries and pains act up. He said as long as the overall spectrum is me getting lower, not to worry about a particular day- even a test day. That was reassuring to hear.

So, it looks like I am on track to test for First Degree Senior Black Fringe in October when GM comes down next. :):eek:

7:00 - CLF forms practice with Ms. R and Ms. T. Butterfly knives, spear, staff, stick, broadsword, formal exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu, and Small Five Animal. A little talk and advice to Ms. T about black sash tests.

8:00 - Private CLF lesson. Some discussion with Ms. R, my instructor and I on sparring related issues. Then he reviewed and gave corrections for broadsword vs spear with me on the spear side. Finally, I am getting the guard hands in the right area! sheesh!

Then he reviewed Ping Kuen and gave me lots of much needed corrections. I told him I was struggling with it on my own.

8:30 - solo practice of CLF Ping Kuen. Going over the corrections from my private lesson.

9:10ish - school closes

4 hours and 10 minutes

Brigid, axelb and Travess like this.
  10. aaradia

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 - I took this as a vacation day off work. Little mini stay-cation in the middle of the work week. :)

4:29 - Solo practice. CLF - what else? Sup Ji Kau Da seems to be my default warm up lately. I finally think I am getting the hang of this form. Hand Breaking Fan, 3 section staff and Ping Kuen. Working on corrections from lesson yesterday. Corrections mostly about getting details in sequence back in my brain. I have been mixing up Sup Ji Kau Da type moves that are only in Lau Bun lineage forms, but Ping Kuen is King Mui lineage. Wooden Dummy, Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choi.

I asked Mr. B if he wanted to run through the 2 person staff. And we did that one side each. He has now learned the second side. That young man is a quick learner! LOL! He didn't want to do more, because he didn't want to get his shirt sweaty before grappling class started! Weird reason not to work out, but teens are strange creatures. (I have been doing some 2 person staff with him lately, but not sure I am always remembering to mention it in this log.)

Bonus! Ms. R showed up for a lesson with her instructor (Tai Sifu). Afterwards, we worked out together. Nice surprise for the day. We started by going over what she needs for her next Tai Chi test. First half of 108, which is coming back quickly for me. Yay! Plum Blossom fan. Same thing, coming back quickly. Then we did some pattern, stationary and walking with switches. Got in some CLF two person practice. Both sides of Broadsword vs Spear and the one side I know of Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom. Yikes, having not done Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom in awhile, it was shaky the first go around. Caught not doing it for awhile just in time. The second time it all came back. If I had waited longer, it would not have come back so quickly. We went over Sup Ji Kau Da too.

After that, back to solo practice. TCC - Wind Chasing Fan, focusing on new direction in some moves, a big part of the corrections given to me in my observation yesterday. Small Circle Fast form and Fajing Form.

I finished up with some bag work. Heavy bag. Light power punches, due to my thumbs, a bit heavier with the kicks. No timed rounds. Just playing around and having fun with the bags.

9:02 - left school. I could have stayed a bit longer, but I had errands to run.

It was a good, productive and fun workout day.

4 hours and 3 minutes

Thursday, July 4, 2019 - School closed due to Independence Day Holiday. Rest day

Friday, July 5, 2019 - School still closed, due to the holiday. Rest day

Saturday, July 6, 2019 - work all day. Rest day

Sunday, July 7, 2019 - Rest day

Well, I was planning on working out at home. but I ended up taking a few days off. My right knee, which has been bugging me a lot, seems to appreciate it and is feeling better right now.

2019 Week 27 = 11 hours and 03 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 308 hours and 50 minutes

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  11. aaradia

Monday, July 8, 2019 -

6:38 - Solo practice. CLF - Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choi

7:00 - CLF Group class.

7:30 - Solo practice. Should have done my format for TCC, but I just wasn't in the mood for TCC today. CLF - Sup Ji Kau Da, Ping Kuen, Hand Breaking Fan, 3 Section Staff. Then, spent a lot of time working on deciphering the script for, and working on, the elephant form. I am up to move # 50 of about 72 or 73.

9:48 - Left School. Could have stayed a bit longer, but haven't been feeling good today.

3 hours and 10 minutes

axelb likes this.
  12. aaradia

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC group class. Detailing out first few moves of 24 form. Then some push hands drills.

7:00 - Well, all my usual partners couldn't make our regular practice session tonight. Ms. M can't do CLF yet. But she can do some TCC. So we did some walking pattern and very light practice of her showing techniques of moving step. This is to prepare for her upcoming TCC test. We ended up chatting and catching up on a lot of MA related stuff. Man, I will be so glad when she can be back fully! I really miss my two person partner!

7:45ish - CLF solo practice. It was a hand form. I think it was Ping Kuen? Might have been Sup Ji Kau Da.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Started off with a few MA questions I have been saving up. Then we worked on details and corrections for Ping Kuen and most of the Hand Breaking Fan.

8:30 - worked on corrections given to me during my lesson. TCC - Wind Chasing Fan

2 hours

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 - Evening shift/ Rest day

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  13. aaradia

Aw dang it, had some personal issues come up, so I didn't stay up on this. Details are going to be weak, but I will get my times in and get back to it now.

Thursday, July, 11, 2019 -

6:30 Last half of TCC group class

7:00 - Tai Sifu/ advanced CLF class

8:00 - TCC private lesson. Reviewed and received corrections for a couple of forms for my next test. Can't remember which ones though.

8:30 - Solo practice. Can't remember what, but usually going over corrections just received in my private lesson

2 hours and 30 minutes

Friday, July 12, 2019 -

6:30 - Stick Fighting class

7:00 - Two person Pattern push hands practice with Ms. M and Ms. B. Practiced various push hands patterns. Ms. M is on limited duty. Both my partners were not focused today, and did a lot of chatting. I have had my days like this. Still, when it isn't a day like this for me, it was a tad frustrating as I was more in a mood to get stuff done than them. Hey, not judging. I could have broken away. AND they both work hard, like me, the vast majority of the time.

8:20ish? (estimate) - Solo practice. I don't remember what though.

9:00 - school closes

1 hour and 40 minutes (estimate)

Saturday, July 13, 2019 -

9:35 - Two person practice with Ms. R. Broadsword vs spear. I am pretty sure we did both sides, but more focus with me on the broadsword side.

10:00- Advanced push hands/ moving step class. Drills and matches.

11:00 - sparring class. Drills, can't remember what. I think it was drill heavy with only a couple matches at the end.

12:00 - rest time. I think I rested and chatted longer than usual. Too long.

12:40ish (estimate) solo practice. Cant recall what.

1:00 - Stretching class

1:30 - solo practice. Again, too long ago and can't remember what. I remember I took more rest time in between stuff as I was particularly tired.

3:00 - school closes

4 hours and 35 minutes

Sunday, July 14, 2019 -
    Rest day

2019 Week 28 = 13 hours and 55 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 322 hours and 45 minutes

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  14. aaradia

Monday, July 15, 2019 -

6:30 - CLF solo practice. Sup Ji Kau Da

7:00 - CLF group class.

7:30 - TCC two person practice with Mr. L. He is getting ready to hopefully test soon for his black fringe. Da Lu and all the patterns for pattern push hands.

7:20ish - Solo practice. Can't remember what I did fully. But I know I did some Ping Kuen. TCC - test format. Small Circle Fast form, Double Gim, Wind Chasing Fan, Spear, and Buddha Palm. I think I did some Fajing form afterwards. Maybe something else too? Can't remember.

9:40 estimate- I think we got out on the early side of when Mondays close down.

3 hours and 10 minutes

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC group class.

7:00 - Forms practice with Ms. T. and Ms. R. Ms. M is still out of CLF practice. We went through all the usual. Stick, Staff, Spear, Broadsword, Butterfly knives, formal exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu and Small Five Animal. This is her last Tuesday with us for a month as she will be traveling on an extended vacation.

8:00 - Private CLF lesson. Started by learning the first few moves of the Plum Blossom side of the two person hand set Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern. Then, I picked my instructor's brain with a few questions. Finished up with review and corrections to Ping Kuen, which I am still having difficulty with.

8:30 - Practiced Ping Kuen with corrections given during lesson.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 -
    Evening Shift/ Rest day

Thursday, July 18, 2019 -

6:30 -
    last half of TCC group class.

7:00 - Advanced CLF class. Techniques. Can't remember what sash level though. Review and then partner drills of them.

8:00 - Private TCC lesson. Observation with Tai Sifu. Review and details of Small Circle Fast form. Corrections focused on being more direct with some moves. Tai Sifu said I had been making progress since last time he saw it though. Still seem on track to test in October. Tai Sifu had to leave about 8:20. So, review with my instructor on Tai Sifu's corrections just given.

8:30 - More solo practice on corrections just given during lesson/ observation.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Friday, July 19, 2019 -
    This would normally be a day off work, but I worked 6 days this week to help enable my co workers who wanted to do San Diego Comic Con. This is one of the largest conventions and it is a staple for San Diego Said Co-workers will work extra next weekend and those of us working extra hours this week will get a more time off next weekend.

6:30 - stick fighting class

7:00 - Two person pattern TCC practice with Ms. M a nd Ms. B. stationary, walking, square and circle. A lot of time on circle and the circle switches.

8:00 ish - solo practice. I can't remember what I did.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Saturday, July 20, 2019 -
    Work all day/ Rest day

Sunday, July 21, 2019 -
    Rest day

2019 Week 29 = 10 hours and 40 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 333 hours and 25 minutes

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  15. aaradia

Monday, July 22, 2019-

6:30 - Solo practice- CLF Sup Ji Kau Da. Something else too I think, but can't remember what.

7:00 - CLF group class. Instructor focusing on super detailing out one Yellow sash technique.

7:30 - Solo practice. CLF - Ping Kuen. I think the Hand Breaking fan too, but not completely sure. TCC - went through my upcoming test format. Well, most of it, I got sidetracked into details instead of full format mode. Small Circle Fast form, Spear, Hand Breaking Fan, and Buddha Palm. I think I did some Fajing form too afterwards. There may have been some CLF that I am forgetting.

9:55ish? Estimate (forgot to look at clock, but it seemed like a later leaving time. School closes

3 hours and 25 minutes

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 -

6:30 - went to join TCC class, but the usual instructor was different. That instructor is also my CLF instructor, so I skipped the class to find out if I had a private lesson canceled and what was up.

6:50ish? (rough estimate) A little solo practice. Can't remember what, but probably Sup Ji Jit Fu.

7:00 - Forms practice. Back to how it was at the beginning. Just Ms. R and I. Ms. M is still out of CLF for medical reasons and Ms. T is on vacation and traveling. So, we could add black to senior black forms into our practice.

Sup Ji Kau Da, Ng Lun Ma, Ng Lun Choi, Spear, broadsword, Staff, Sup Ji Jit Fu and Small Five Animal. There may have been one or two that I am forgetting, but I think that was it.

8:00 - Private lesson cancelled due to my instructor being sick. Solo practice. Ping Kuen. Don't remember what else, but I think I did some TCC Small Circle Fast form. Yeah, trying to think right now and can't remember what else I did.

2 hours and 30 minutes.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 - Evening Shift/ Rest day.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  16. aaradia

Thursday, July 25, 2019 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC group class. My brain is full of stuff from the seminars on Saturday, so I am not remembering what we did exactly.

7:00 - Tai Sifu/ Advanced CLF class. Again, Tai Sifu taught the first part, and the Assistant Chief Instructor took over later on. Forms practice this time. Extra detailing of formal exercise and then Siu Moi Fa.

8:00 - TCC private lesson. Review and corrections of Small Circle Fast form. Still working on the corrections given by Tai Sifu on my recent observation. Then some review and corrections on Double Gim. My knee has been bugging me this week, so I didn't step into as deep stances as I am normally trying to do.

8:30 - solo TCC practice. Still working on those corrections in the Small Circle Fast form.

9:15ish - could have stayed later as school hadn't closed up yet. But I went home as my knee was bugging me.

2 hours and 45 minutes

Friday, July 26, 2019 - Started WAY later than I intended. We are having a heat wave. Not nearly as bad as other parts of the country, but I don't do well in this kind of heat.

5;45ish - Solo practice. Sup Ji Kau Da.

6:30 - Stick fighting class. Drills, mostly centered on footwork, then some matches.

7:00 - TCC two person practice with Ms. M and Ms. B. Lots of pattern push hands practice.

8:00 ish - Solo practice. CLF - Ping Kuen. TCC - Small Circle Fast form, focusing on recent corrections by my observation with Tai Sifu.

8:30ish - I stopped practicing to help the instructors set up for the sale the next day. They were a little short staffed, so I volunteered.

2 hours and 45 minutes

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  17. aaradia

Saturday July 27, 2019 - Sale and Seminars! Regular classes were closed, as my school has a sale, with seminars, twice a year.

As far as sales go, I really have all I need. I bought a new TCC sash for my next level. I don't need one, as one just adds stripes to one's existing sash where I am at. Except my current sash was a real flimsy material and they use a thicker material now. The thicker material doesn't get all bunched up from where one ties it.

I did both the adult seminars offered.

10:00 to 11:30 - 18 Lohan tendon changing form. This is an internal CLF set I think. It could actually be a Chi Gung set. I need to ask and clarify this. It is a set meant to work on strengthening the tendons and stretching. It is NOT a martial oriented set. The moves are not done with martial intention. That makes it different from most sets. I am really working on my flexibility right now and staying injury free, so this is a good one for me to relearn.

I say relearn because I knew it years ago. They used to teach it in group TCC class. I had the script. I didn't need to retake the seminar, but I wanted to. I wanted a refresher straight from Tai Sifu.

Also, this is going to be my choice for my internal form at my next level in TCC. It seems like I will be testing in October, so it is nice to get a head start on my next curriculum level.

It was a great seminar! I thoroughly enjoyed it. The form parts came back to me as Tai Sifu showed it. It also seems shorter than I remember. Probably because many forms seem shorter after I learned the 250 move Sup Ji Kau Da!

I hung out while waiting for the next seminar. Bought the sash I mentioned already.

12:30ish to about 12:45 ish, I did some TCC pattern practice with Mr. L.

1:00 to 2:30 - Iron head defense seminar. This was a combatives seminar. Far fewer people showed up for it, which is disappointing. But it made for a great intimate setting with Tai Sifu. Tai Sifu taught some techniques for defending one's head in multiple situations. We did a lot of drilling. I had a beginning level partner, but she was a great partner! I was very happy to work with her. Sometimes, these types of seminars can not be so enjoyable if one doesn't have an attentive serious partner. So, I was lucky. Again, I had a great time! Bonus, Tai Sifu commented on how well I was doing both during the seminar and afterwards. That always feels good, to get compliments from one's Sifu.

3 hours and 15 minutes

Sunday, July 28, 2019 - Rest day

2019 Week 30 = 14 hours and 40 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 348 hours and 05 minutes

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  18. aaradia

Monday, July 29, 2019 -

6:30 - Solo CLF practice. The usual on Mondays, warmed up with Sup Ji Kau Da. I still get stuck in a couple of area's, but not nearly as many as I used to. Definitely making progress. Then Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choi.

7:00 - skipped CLF group class. Too much else I want to work on today. Two person TCC stuff with Mr. L. To get him ready for his next test. Da Lu and stationary, walking, square and circle pattern. We definitely made progress tonight.

7:25 - solo practice. I spent a lot of time working on the form I had the seminar in on Saturday. Worked on the first 30 or so moves. That is the internal CLF set 18 Lohan Tendon Changing form. Working with the script given at the seminar. So also working on my script reading skills!

CLF - Ping Kuen. TCC - Small Circle Fast form. Spent some time talking with an instructor about various stuff about forms. Lineage differences and learning them, recognizing patterns in them specific to that lineage.........

Instructors did not have their usual training tonight. Due to many of them working all day Saturday at the sale. So, not there as late as usual on a Monday.

9:10ish - School closes.

2 hours and 40 minutes

19. aaradia

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class. Detailing out the first half of the 24 form, then detailing out the beginning of the 32 gim.

7:00 - forms practice with Ms. R and Ms. M. Ms. T is still out on vacation. Ms. M's first day back after being out of CLF for awhile. Yay! So, we stayed away from a couple of weapons, because Ms. M can't do them quite yet. That's fine, we have plenty of other things to work on. Ping Kuen, Broadsword, Siu Moi Fa, Hand Breaking Fan, Small Five Animal, Stick, Sup Ji Jit Fu and formal exercise.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom with me on the Plum Blossom side. Review and corrections of what I learned two weeks ago. I did pretty good with it. Writing the script helped I think. Most of my corrections were the proper guard hand. I was mixing up a couple of them. Then review and corrections for Ping Kuen.

8:30 - solo practice. 18 Lohan. Got up to a little past 40 moves. That is over halfway through it. Just basic memory, mind you. I know I am getting some small details wrong that will need review by my TCC instructor. This is one of those odd ones. It is an internal CLF set, but I plan on it being my next level CLF internal set in my TCC curriculum. So I will be having my TCC instructor be the main instructor helping me, even though it is a CLF set.

9:00 - school closes.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - evening shift/ rest day.

20. aaradia

Thursday, August 1, 2019 -

6:30 - last half of TCC class. Came in at end of 24 form. Then the 40. Then Plum Blossom Fan review.

7:00 - Advanced CLF class. Techniques. Reviewed yellow and green techniques. Then went over blue and did them with a partner.

8:00 - TCC private lesson. Started with going over what I am learning of the 18 Lohan form. Mostly, I needed help with the transitions from one move to the next. Then, review and corrections of Wind Chasing Fan, Double Gim, Spear and Buddha Palm. Not a lot of corrections.

8:30 - worked on 18 lohan some more. Trying to learn more of it.

2 hours and 30 minutes

axelb likes this.