Journal of Aaradia's MA Journey

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by aaradia, Feb 14, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 -

6:30 Two person practice with Ms. B. Two person staff, Golden Leopard vs Tiger and 9 star. The usual.

7:00 Forms practice with Ms. R, Ms. M and Ms. T. Formal exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu, Small Five Animal. Staff, Stick, Spear and Broadsword. After that, Ms. M and Ms. R and I did most of Ping Kuen. Ms. M and I are getting back to the full version after tournament.

8:00 - Private CLF Lesson. Worked on the Broadsword side of Broadsword vs spear. Tournament is over, so time to get that other side down better! Ms. R stayed to help. The rest of the lesson was spent talking about my tournament experiences and thoughts. I told my instructor things I had learned and things I want to practice and he gave me valuable feedback. Lesson ended a bit late.

8:40 - worked on Sup Ji Kau Da.

9:00 - School closes

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 - Evening Shift/ rest day

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  2. aaradia

Thursday, May 9, 2019 -

6:30 - Last Half of TCC class. New people in class, so lots of basic moves done across the room. Finished by the 24.

7:00 - Tai Sifu/ Advanced CLF class. Formal exercise with details and some application drills with a partner. Then Detailing of Stick form and a bit of detailing a few basic moves of staff.

8:00 - Private TCC lesson. Discussion of tournament experience. Followed by my asking his opinion about my self defense situation at work. Then review and corrections of Small Circle Fast Form and Buddha Palm.

8:30 - I picked a script for TCC - the double fan form. I am trying to relearn it on my own by practicing and developing my script reading skills. This one wasn't so far back, so Bits of the form were coming back from memory. But between this and my CLF form that I am doing this, I am learning a lot! I can't remember if I mentioned it, but my CLF script reading skill is being practiced by the Elephant form. Which I did MANY years ago and really don't remember AT ALL.

2 hours and 30 minutes

axelb likes this.
  3. aaradia

Friday, May 10, 2019 -

4:05 - Two person practice with Ms. B. In the big room where the high level tests are.Not sure how long we practiced? 30 -to 40 minutes or so?

After that, solo Practice. CLF- worked on more of the elephant form. Deciphering the script as best I can. Then some Sup Ji Kau Da. Full version of three section staff. I think I am remembering it all, with some pauses to think. But it is possible I am forgetting a chunk of it. Also did some wooden dummy, adding back a few more moves at a time until I get the whole thing re-memorized. I am studying Tai-Sifu's video on it on the streaming video service for students. It is so well done!

I skipped weapons class. I just needed to work on my current curriculum materials and I didn't want to spend a whole half hour on a few moves of one form. I like weapon forms class, and it is never bad to go over basics. But on the other hand, I need to think is that the most efficient use of my time? When I have so much I am working on? It is something I am pondering.

6:30 - Stick Fighting class. Focus on smaller moves- not winding up but still using the whole body to get power.

7:00 - Techniques practice with Ms. B and Ms. M. The usual. going over everything twice..

8:00ish? - Two person practice with Ms. M. Yay! She started learning the spear side of broadsword vs spear. Now that tournament is over, we are going to focus on learning the other side of our two person forms. Weapon form first. Then we went over the side we both know all the way- me on the spear side. But again, tournament is over, so the full version. Next was getting back to more time on Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern. Me on the Cross Pattern side. Finished with some time on Golden Leopard vs Tiger. She is a bit rusty on this one. I practice it with Ms. B, but she hasn't done it much lately.

9:00 School closes.

4 hours and 55 minutes

Saturday, May 11, 2019 - Work all day/ rest day

Sunday, May 12, 2019 - Rest day

2018 Total Hours = 684 hours and 06 minutes

2019 Week 19 = 12 hours and 38 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 196 hours and 56 minutes

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  4. aaradia

Monday, May 13, 2019 -

6:30 - Solo practice. Skipped group class because it was a rough day at work and I, frankly, didn't want to be in a group setting today. Needed some space and time on my own. CLF - Sup Ji Kau Da. Going back and working on re-memorizing the Wooden dummy. (Been watching the video at home a lot.) Working on my script reading skills with the Elephant form. TCC- Spear, Small Circle Fast form, Double Gim. Also working on my script reading skills by working on relearning the double fan. Starting to try to remember the Fajing form.

Spent some time talking to a fellow student.

9:45? ish? Guestimate - School closes

3 hours

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 -

6:30 - All two person stuff up to black sash with Ms. B. Finsihed early because she is still recovering from an injury.

6:50 - Two person staff with Ms. T.

7:05ish - form practice with Ms. T, Ms. R and Ms. M. Stick, Staff, Spear, Broadsword. Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu, and Small Five Animal. They did formal exercise, but I needed a restroom break. Afterwards, Ms. M and Ms. R and I did Ping Kuen. I couldn't remember all of it. It needs some work!

8:00- Private CLF Lesson. Ms. R stayed and we worked on Broadsword vs Spear with me on the Broadsword side. Then Review, corrections, and a few new moves of Sup Ji Kau Da.

8:30 - worked on new moves of Sup Ji Kau Da.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - Evening shift/ rest day

axelb likes this.
  5. aaradia

Thursday. May 16, 2019 -

6:30 Last half of TCC class - detailing out of 40 form.

7:00- Advanced CLF class. Techniques detailing with partner drills. I think it was Purple sash techniques? Could have been blue. Didn't get through them all, because the instructor was going into a lot of detail.

8:00- TCC Private lesson. Review and corrections of Buddha Palm, Wind Chasing Fan and Double Gim. My instructor was pleased with how things are looking today. Also, got help on my script reading development. I was stuck at one point in figuring out the script for the double fan.

8:30 - Worked on figuring out the double fan form through reading the script.

9:00 - school closed

2 hours and 30 minutes

axelb likes this.
  6. aaradia

Friday, May 17, 2019 -

6:30 - Stick Fighting class. Drills on throwing test strikes to see how opponent will react, then using it as a set up for another strike. Then some matches.

7:00 - Techniques practice with Ms. M and Ms. B. Ran a bit long as we stopped for several MA related discussions with ourselves and another student.

8:15ish? - Two person practice with Ms. M. Main focus was on the new side (for us) of Broadsword vs spear. Up to what she has been taught so far. Then we ran through the other side. Also Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern. Then a tiny bit of TCC pattern.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Saturday, May 18, 2019 -

9:35ish - two person practice with Ms. R. Broadsword vs Spear with me on the broadsword side. We started a bit of Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern, but didn't get all the way through it before time ran out.

10:00 - Advanced Push hands/ Moving step class. The moving step part was all matches, with the instructor stopping them to teach when he saw certain things in the matches.

11:00 - I can't believe I did this! I had taken my mouthguard home after tournament to clean it. And I cleaned my other one as well. And left them on my counter! After 15 years, I forgot my mouthpiece! Fortunately, I live close. But I was so mad that I missed part of sparring class. :mad::oops: So stupid!

11:20ish - joined in on sparring class. Partner drills and then some matches. I can't remember the drills.

12:00 - rested

12:30 - worked on deciphering the script to the Elephant form. Practicing what I could figure out. I am close to halfway through it. It's a short form. This is really beneficial, learning to read scripts. I am learning a lot from the experience. It's a skill unto itself for sure.

1:00 - Stretching class

1:30 - Solo practice. CLF - Sup Ji Kau Da, Wooden dummy. TCC - practiced relearning Double fan form by reading the script. Talked to an instructor about something.

3:00 - School closes

4 hours

Sunday, May 19, 2019 - Rest day

2019 Week 20 = 14 hours and 30 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 211 hours and 26 minutes

axelb likes this.
  7. aaradia

Monday, May 20, 2019 -

6:30 - Solo practice. CLF elephant form. I am working on the first half of it.

7:00 - Group class

7:30 - Solo practice. CLF Sup Ji Kau Da. Wooden Dummy. TCC - Worked on the double fan. I am over halfway through getting this one down again. Trying to remember the Fajing form. Only a few steps back into that one. Small Circle Fast form, Buddha Palm, either double gim or fan- I can't remember which one. Some stretching.

9:45ish? - (Estimate based on average closing time- can't remember) School closes

3 hours and 15 minutes

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 -

6:30 - Two person practice with Ms. B. All materials for her next test. Two person staff, Golden Leopard vs Tiger and 9 star.

7:00 - Ms. T and Ms. R are both out of town this week, so it was just Ms. M and I. We decided to focus on our current curriculum level material. Ping Kuen = whew I am missing chunks of it. It wasn't pretty. 3 section staff. We were both happy we seem to be remembering it for the most part. A couple of moves one or the other forgot and remembered with the other persons help. But overall, much better than memory of Ping Kuen. Two person Broadsword vs spear with me on the broadsword side. We are about halfway through it. I know more of it than she does,but she is learning it quickly. Up to what she has learned of Hand Breaking Fan form. She is not too far from the end. It is a relatively short form. We tried to do some of Shaolin Five animal, but both got stuck right at the beginning. Oh well.

8:00 - Private CLF lesson. I FINALLY finished being taught ALL the 250 moves in Sup Ji Kau Da!!!!! Woo Hoo!!! That is a major accomplishment! It will be awhile before I truly get the whole thing properly memorized, but I am happy to be where I am at. We focused on just the end to get through it today. Then some review of Ping Kuen, which I sorely needed. And review and corrections for Wooden Dummy.

8:30 - Went over end of Sup Ji Kau Da to get it down.

9:00 - School closes.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 - Evening shift/ rest day

axelb likes this.
  8. aaradia

Thursday, May 23, 2019 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class. First half of long form. Rusty, but I think it will come back quickly. Tweaked my knee during it. Being stupid. It has been recovering from a bad bout of pain the last few weeks. And we were doing lunges and other leg strength building exercises. I knew exactly when I should have stopped, but ego got in the way and I pushed past the point I should have.

7:00 - skipped Advanced CLF class for several reasons. One being my knee was hurting and I decided to be smarter and just go do some TCC at my own pace. Awhile into it, it felt better. So, that was a relief! I was worried I set back my recovery badly, but it was just having some spasms and felt better after just a half hour or so. Some other stuff going on too that affected my decision to skip the class, but it isn't something I am ready to talk about here.

So, solo practice, spend awhile practicing my script deciphering by working on the double fan form. Then, when my knee felt better, I moved onto some slow and careful CLF Sup Ji Kau Da. Can't get through it without multiple sticking points in memory, but the more I practice it, the better the memory will be. It's a new form and definitely the longest form I have learned so far. If fact, one of the longest CLF forms period!

8:00 - TCC private lesson. So, my TCC instructor had to do some business stuff. So he asked my CLF instructor to do my lesson tonight. My TCC instructor also later told me he wanted some fresh eyes reviewing my material. So, that is fine. Big thing was there were some discrepancies in some moves. Particularly, some angles in some moves in the Wind Chasing Fan. So, he and my TCC instructor will talk to Tai Sifu and get clarification. This happens sometimes. Various things can cause discrepancies in the forms, and when it is discovered, they consult and research and figure it out.

Anyways, he reviewed and gave corrections on the Double Gim, Wind Chasing Fan and Small Circle Fast form.

8:30 - Jeez, only two days ago, but I can't remember what I worked on.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  9. aaradia

Friday, May 24, 2019 -

4:00 - Two person practice with Ms. B. In the big room where the tests are. All forms needed for her upcoming test. 9 star, Golden Leopard vs Tiger, and Two person staff. Both sides.

4:30ish (estimate??) - Solo practice CLF - Wooden Dummy, Sup Ji Kau Da, Hand Breaking Fan, Ping Kuen. Elephant Form (learning from the script).

5:30 - Tai Sifu TCC class for those with a certain membership. Detailing out the 108 long form. Good thing as I am rusty on this one.

6:00 - Skipped Weapon forms class to do more solo work. I like weapon forms class. But right now I think it is more efficient to use the time to go through other materials, rather than spend a half hour on a part of one form I already know. I am starting to have to make some tough judgement calls on what is most efficient for my training time. It is something I need to think about more and talk to my instructor about.

6:30 - Stick Fighting class. New instructor taking over this class. It has been in flux the last few weeks,but it looks like they decided on this instructor. Never had classes with him before. I think he is going to do well. Drills and then some matches.

7:00 - Well, delay in getting started with techniques practice. Talking with my fellow students about something MA related. Private conversation though.

7:30ish? - Techniques practice with Ms. M and Ms. B. Just once per technique due to the late start.

8:00 - two person practice with Ms. M. Up to what she knows of broadsword vs spear with me on the broadsword side. Then the other side - back to full version as tournament is over now. Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern. Just the one side so far. Then some Tai Chi Two person. All pattern- stationary, walking, square and circle. With changes. But the second way of changing with the circle is one we need an instructor to help with. I am just too rusty and it was always a weakness with me. And it is new to her. We have the 1st way of changing coming along nicely.

9;00 - School closes

5 hours

Saturday, May 25, 2019 - Work all day/ rest day

Sunday, May 26, 2019 - rest day

2019 Week 21 = 13 hours and 15 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 224 hours and 41 minutes

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  10. aaradia

Monday, May 27, 2019 - School closed due to Memorial Day Holiday. Rest day.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 -

6:30- Two person practice with Ms. B. Getting ready for her upcoming test.

7:00 - Forms Practice with Ms. M and Ms. T. Ms. R could not make it. Stick, Staff, Butterfly knives, Spear, and broadsword. Formal Exercise, Sui Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu, and Small Five Animal.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. A discussion on hook punches, based of a conversation I had with a co-worker. I talk about this more on this thread I started about it here. Hook Punch questions

Then working on Sup Ji Kau Da. Just trying to get it down better. I am confusing different parts of the form and mixing them up. It just needs more practice is all.

8:30 - Solo practice. I worked on Sup Ji Kau Da mostly.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - Evening Shift/ rest day

Thursday, May 30, 2019 -

6:30 - last half of TCC class.

7:00 - advanced CLF class. Techniques- the last 3 moves of oh, purple to brown I think? It could have been blue to purple. Because we hadn't gotten to the end when we did these before. Drilled solo and with a partner. Ended with the kicks for this level.

8:00 - Private TCC lesson. corrections for double gim, Small Circle Fast form and spear.

8:30 - worked on double fan form - relearning it from the script.

9:00 - school closes

2 hours and 30 minutes

11. aaradia

Friday, May 31, 2019 -

6:30- Stick Fighting class. Drills on basic blocks and then some matches.

7:00 - both my partner's that I practice with at this time could not be here today. I did some two person staff practice with Mr. B.

7:25 - solo practice. CLF - Elephant form. I guess Tai Sifu was watching for a bit. Because he later told me it was looking good. Yay! Sup Ji Kau Da. Getting really confused in the last half. Just need more practice and more review with my instructor. Wooden Dummy. I think I did some 3 section staff too. TCC - Double Gim, Buddha Palm, Small Circle Fast form, Spear and Wind Chasing Fan. There are some corrections on the angles of a few moves in this that came to light when I had another instructor do my TCC lesson a week or two ago. Trying to remember the new angles. Also starting to try to remember the Fajing form. Just working on the first part of it.

2 hours and 30 minutes

12. aaradia

Saturday, June 1, 2019 -

9:38 - Two person practice with Ms. R. We had to move out back, so we got a couple of minute later start. Spear vs Broadsword with me on the Broadsword side. Focused on second half more.

10:00 - Advanced push hands/ moving step class. Drills and matches in first part. All matches in moving step part.

11:00 - Sparring class. Drills and then light power matches. Followed by rounds with a partner holding the kicking/ striking shield. We got new shields lately and this was the first time I used them in a drill like this. I worked on trying to add some hooks in the striking rounds. Due to the whole thing about me thinking about hooks. Again, I detailed this in another thread.

12:00 - rested

12:30 - Solo practice. Sup Ji Kau Da.

1:00 - Stretching class. Grueling as always.

1:30 - Solo practice. slower pace as I was pretty tired by now. CLF - Wooden dummy. TCC - spear, double gim, Buddha Palm, Wind Chasing Fan, and I think also Small Circle Fast form? Not sure about that last one. I feel like I did some other CLF thing too, but I can't remember what. Maybe I didn't.

3:10ish - school closes

4 hours and 32 minutes

Sunday, June 2, 2019 - rest day

2019 Week 22 = 12 hours and 02 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 236 hours and 43 minutes

axelb and Frodocious like this.
  13. aaradia

Monday, June 3, 2019 -

6:30 - Solo CLF practice. Sup Ji Kau Da. Getting stuck and confusing parts of second half a lot.

7:00 - CLF group class. Focus on Dot Choi (back fist) and Biu Jong (forearm strke/ block).

7:30 - Two person staff practice with Mr. B. Not sure how long - estimate about 15 minutes?

7:45ish - Solo practice. CLF. Wooden dummy. Elephant form. I started Ping Kuen, but I got distracted and never got back to it. TCC. Ran through a format of my next test. Although not quite full format mode as I did stop in a couple places to practice some details a bit. But mostly format mode. Spear, Wind Chasing Fan, Buddha Palm, Small Circle Fast form and double gim. Then I did the beginning of the Fajing form and some double fan- relearning from script. I almost have the double fan re memorized fully.

I keep forgetting to check when the school closes. So, again this is an estimate, average time. Don't know why I keep forgetting to check lately.

9:50ish - school closes

3 hours and 20 minutes

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 -

6:30 - two person practice with Ms. B. All the stuff for her test, which is very close. 9 start, Golden Leopard vs Tiger, and two person staff.

7:00 - Forms practice with Ms. T. and Ms. R. Ms. M is out a couple of weeks. Ms. R had to leave halfway through for her private lesson. Formal exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu, and Small Five Animal. Ms. T and I did better on Sup Ji Jit Fu, which wasn't so great last week for everyone. Then spear, broadsword, staff, butterfly knives and stick.

7:50 - a bit of rest and I think a tiny bit of elephant form.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Ms. R joined the first part to work on two person form corrections. Broadsword vs Spear with me on the Broadsword side. It is coming along. Got a ways to go, but progress is being made. Then, upon my request, we just focused on the second half of Sup Ji Kau Da. The second half has a lot more sticking points. It was a good lesson and particularly helpful.

8:30 - focused on corrections given in lesson for second half of Sup Ji Kau Da. Then about 10 minutes of wooden dummy practice.

9:00 - School Closes

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 - evening shift/ rest day

axelb likes this.
  14. aaradia

Thursday, June 6, 2019 -

Not feeling well a lot of the day. Missed last half of TCC group class.

7:00 - Tai Sifu/ Advanced CLF class. ran through formal exercise, stick and staff. Then some detailing out of basic staff moves.

8:00 - TCC private lesson. Fit in all my test materials for the first time in a lesson. That means less corrections happening. Mostly, I still need to not collapse my arms at times = need consistent peng energy. Still working on getting back to where I was before with bigger steps and lower stances. My knee is coming back from last pain bout. I am getting there again.

8:30 - TCC solo practice. Double fan. Just about have it fully re-memorized. Ran through it, but some sticking points. Can't remember what else I did.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Friday, June 7, 2019 -

4:10-ish - Two person practice with Ms. B 9 star, Golden Leopard vs Tiger, and two person staff. Did this in the big room where the tests are. Did it on the other side of the room. We are now familiar with the layout and practicing wherever we will be for her test.

4:45 - Solo practice. CLF Wooden Dummy. But a test was in that area, so I didn't finish it and forgot to get back to it. Sup Ji Kau Da, Ng Lun Ma, Ng Lun Choi, Ping Kuen, 3 section staff. My flowers are getting faster- haha! Slowly, they are getting faster! ;) Hand breaking fan. This is a list of what I did all day. Can't remember what I did when. See later.

6:30 - Stick Fighting class. 4 people! Not a lot, but sadly, more than we have had in awhile. Drills with partner and then some matches.

7:00 - Back to solo practice,. See listing at 4:45. Also mixed into these two times, TCC - Double Gim, Wind Chasing Fan, spear, Buddha Palm and Small Circle Fast form. Also stick/ flute form. Some CLF elephant form too.

Just working on the memory of all my new stuff. I was happy I managed to fit in so much of it today.

But I did it because my two person partner is out. :( I look forward to her return. Also, didn't do techniques practice. Ms. B had other priorities for her upcoming test. So, I had more solo time on Friday than usual.

9:08 - School closes.

4 hours and 58 minutes

Saturday, June 8, 2019 - work all day. rest day.

Sunday, June 9, 2019 - Rest day

2019 Week 23 = 13 hours and 18 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 250 hours and 01 minute

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  15. aaradia

Monday, June 10, 2019 -

6:30 Solo practice - Sup Ji Kau Da. This one is taking a lot of my practice time to get down right now. Monster of a form. But I like it a lot!

7:00 - Group CLF class

7:30 - A fellow student who was formatting for black sash, but quit years ago came back recently. She is one of my friends at the school. She is currently re-memorizing the forms. I helped her with Siu Sup Ji.

But then we fell to catching up and talked about a wide variety of life and Kung Fu topics. So, I didn't get in my usual workout tonight, but it was nice to catch up with her. I am glad she is back.

9:15 ish - Solo practice. I don't remember what, but I think various TCC.

10:00ish - School closes

2 hours and 15 minutes

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 -

6:30 - Two person practice with Ms. B. The usual- 9 star, Golden Leopard vs Tiger and 2 person staff.

7:00 - Forms practice with Ms. T. Ms. M is still out for a few weeks and Ms. R couldn't make it either. Formal exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu, Small Five Animal, stick, staff, spear, buttefly knives and broadsword.

8:00 - Private CLF lesson. Ms. R was there for the beginning to help with going over two person broadsword vs spear = me on the broadsword side. It didn't go so great, my main two person partner is out and Ms. R and I haven't had much practice time either. Then onto working on Sup Ji Kau Da. It is slowly coming along.

8:30 - Solo CLF practice. Some more going over what I was corrected on in my lesson. I think something else, but I don't remember what. That is what happens when I wait until the end of the week to fill this log out.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday June 12, 2019 - Evening shift/ rest day

16. aaradia

Thursday, June 13, 2019 -

6:30 - last half of TCC group class.

7:00 - Tai Sifu/ advanced CLF class. Techniques and kicking today. Yellow sash techniques with partner drills. I need to start practicing my kicks regularly. I haven't lately. Been focusing on learning all the new stuff and letting this slide. It needs to be re-prioritized!

8:00 - Private TCC lesson. Small Circle Fast form, Double Gim, and Buddha Palm. Starting with my weakest form first. My stances are getting lower again, as my knee is getting better.

8:30 - solo practice. I think I worked on the double fan. Forget what else.

9:00 - school closes

2 hours and 30 minutes

Friday, June 14, 2019 -

6:30 - Stick fighting class. Various drills with partner and then a few matches.

7:00 - practice with Ms. B. Her test is very soon, so we just did what she wanted to work on. She felt good on her techniques, so we just went over some forms. I blanked out on a couple. Ones I did fine on just last Tuesday. Don't know where my brain went. Ah well, I joked with Ms. B that I did it on purpose. So that she could practice focusing on her stuff and ignoring others around her during her test. Not getting distracted by others pacing or mistakes. Ha ha! That is a real issue, but me saying I messed up on purpose to help with that was the joke. ;)

8:20 ish - Solo practice. Again, I wish my log was better this week, but I just don't remember what I did.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Your name was mentioned at the MAP Meet yesterday.

One day we'd love you to take a session.

18. aaradia

LOL! How did my name come up?

I would love to do both a MAP meet and one of John Titchen's sim days over there. However, I don't see that being something I can afford in the near future. I have two more years of car payments. Oh, and I would need to get a passport too!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Your name came up because we were talking about who we could ask for next year.

Your training log is awesome and it's clear you attend a very good school.

You have lots to offer.

20. aaradia

Saturday, June 15, 2019 -

9:32ish - Two person practice with Ms. R. Both sides of broadsword vs spear. I made progress, I just need to log more practice hour on this to get it down.

10:00 - Advanced Push Hands/ Moving Step class. Push hands - Drills with partner on working angles. Then some matches. I think this ran longer than the usual half hour. We only did matches for moving step. I did not participate. I just watched. I have a slight twinge in my right shoulder since last Tuesday. And I NEED to make sure I am healthy for Ms. B's test next week. I am her two person forms and sparring and stick fighting partner.

11:00 - Did the first half of class with a partner who also has a slight twinge. Skipped matches for the reason I mentioned above. I would have pushed through the minor injury, except my #1 priority is Ms. B's test next week. NOTHING in my training is more important than that.

Drills in first half were all about liver shots and setting up for one. There was the liver kick and the hook to the liver. Which meant I got to practice hook shots in class. I started a thread on hook shots, and have been thinking and working on the variations. This was a chance to play with varying weight shifts in twisting into the hook shot. Yay! I had fun practicing this.

11:30 - Solo practice. Worked on the elephant form. Working on first 40 moves. Not moving forward until I get this part down better. As always lately, Sup Ji Kau Da. A tiny bit of TCC 108 long form with Ms. R. Chatted with Ms. R a bit after sparring class ended. She has some extra time off for the next few months, and we are going to do some sparring drills together. I am super excited for this!

1:00 - Stretching class.

1:30 - solo practice. TCC double Gim, Buddha Palm. CLF Hand Breaking Fan.

2:00 - I asked an instructor about a move in hand breaking fan. We ended up having a long discussion. We talked about various mental aspects of training and goal setting. He introduced me to the concept of stomping out ANTS. Here is an article on the idea I just found. We also chatted about where I am at with my training.
    How to Stop Negative Thinking with 3 Simple Steps

I struggle with this. I think it is exacerbated by my OCD. Even though I wasn't moving, I found this discussion to be very helpful to my training, so I am going to count it as training time. Gave me a lot to think about.

Then, a mother and daughter that used to train, but left a few years ago stopped by. We all chatted for awhile. It was nice. :)

3:30 - School closes

5 hours and 30 minutes

Sunday, June 16, 2019 - rest day

2019 Week 24 = 15 hours and 15 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 265 hours and 16 minutes

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    axelb likes this.