Journal of Aaradia's MA Journey

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by aaradia, Feb 14, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Friday, December 21, 2018 - (Well, I lagged. I didn't write this until Xmas day. And so forgot some details.)

5:00ish? - Solo practice. CLF - Did a lot of work on Shaolin Five Animal. Adding more moves and trying to get down the ones I have learned. TCC- focus on the test forms. Can't remember exactly what, but I think I did them all this day. Some maybe later in my practice time?

So, my CLF teacher was having his private lesson with Tai Sifu next to me. When they had a break he asked me if I overheard their discussion. I hadn't. It seems the format of my next TCC test is going to be focused on the current curriculum level only. I had been under the impression it was the current and last level of materials. So, that sort of changes what I am focusing on to get ready for the test.

And, I realized I had - in my mind - been making excuses for not making the goal of the next test date. Because I have always had difficulty with the 54 gim form. And I got it reviewed with all sorts of new details to get ready. And now I don't need them for the test. I still needed those corrections. It is a weaker form for me, but I love it and want to improve - test or no. But I had been thinking I would maybe not be ready for the next possible test date due to this. Now, that won't be the case. And that will teach me to even lightly start to give myself outs- that is the wrong attitude to have.

Still going to work on those 54 gim corrections. But my focus and priority will be test stuff for now.

6:00 - Eh, I skipped weapon forms class. Was in the mood for more solo practice.

6:30 - Techniques practice with Ms. B. Ms. M was out. Not sure how long it took. About the usual? Went through the usual all techniques twice deal.

After that solo practice. No two person with Ms. M because of her not being there.:p This wasn't necessarily the order I did these in.

Talked to my TCC teacher about the test changes. Well understanding the test I suppose. See, the degrees for TCC is new to our school. To make it the same as levels of CLF. So, it is sort of a work in progress with some details being worked out. We talked about priorities of what the lessons will be like. He confirmed to focus on test material and we will continue working on the 54 gim after the test. I mean, I DID successfully do it in my last test. I just think it could be a lot better. And judging from the details in my last lessons, my instructor thinks so too!

Wooden Dummy. Ugh. Haven't done this one in awhile and now I am confused on some parts of it. Just hard to keep up with everything. Will study the video and it will come back to me. I didn't do the whole form.

3 Section staff. I think I did Ping Kuen too. Starting to think about tournament, even though tournament season in my mind starts with the new year.

I may have done something else in CLF, can't remember for sure.

Some bag workout. About 18 minutes. Lighter power with strikes due to thumb issues. Didn't do all out rounds so much as some of the drills I have learned in sparring class recently. And just some focusing on details of strikes and kicks and short combinations of them.

9:00 - School closes.

4 hours

Saturday, December 22, 2018 - Work during day/ rest day

Sunday, December 23, 2018 - School closed/ Rest day

2018 Week 51 = hours and minutes
    2018 Total Hours = 655 hours and 25 minutes

Monday, December 24, 2018 - School closed for Xmas eve/ Rest day.

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - School closed for Xmas holiday/ rest day.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  2. aaradia

Friday, December 21, 2018 - (Well, I lagged. I didn't write this until Xmas day. And so forgot some details.)

5:00ish? - Solo practice. CLF - Did a lot of work on Shaolin Five Animal. Adding more moves and trying to get down the ones I have learned. TCC- focus on the test forms. Can't remember exactly what, but I think I did them all this day. Some maybe later in my practice time?

So, my CLF teacher was having his private lesson with Tai Sifu next to me. When they had a break he asked me if I overheard their discussion. I hadn't. It seems the format of my next TCC test is going to be focused on the current curriculum level only. I had been under the impression it was the current and last level of materials. So, that sort of changes what I am focusing on to get ready for the test.

And, I realized I had - in my mind - been making excuses for not making the goal of the next test date. Because I have always had difficulty with the 54 gim form. And I got it reviewed with all sorts of new details to get ready. And now I don't need them for the test. I still needed those corrections. It is a weaker form for me, but I love it and want to improve - test or no. But I had been thinking I would maybe not be ready for the next possible test date due to this. Now, that won't be the case. And that will teach me to even lightly start to give myself outs- that is the wrong attitude to have.

Still going to work on those 54 gim corrections. But my focus and priority will be test stuff for now.

6:00 - Eh, I skipped weapon forms class. Was in the mood for more solo practice.

6:30 - Techniques practice with Ms. B. Ms. M was out. Not sure how long it took. About the usual? Went through the usual all techniques twice deal.

After that solo practice. No two person with Ms. M because of her not being there.:p This wasn't necessarily the order I did these in.

Talked to my TCC teacher about the test changes. Well understanding the test I suppose. See, the degrees for TCC is new to our school. To make it the same as levels of CLF. So, it is sort of a work in progress with some details being worked out. We talked about priorities of what the lessons will be like. He confirmed to focus on test material and we will continue working on the 54 gim after the test. I mean, I DID successfully do it in my last test. I just think it could be a lot better. And judging from the details in my last lessons, my instructor thinks so too!

Wooden Dummy. Ugh. Haven't done this one in awhile and now I am confused on some parts of it. Just hard to keep up with everything. Will study the video and it will come back to me. I didn't do the whole form.

3 Section staff. I think I did Ping Kuen too. Starting to think about tournament, even though tournament season in my mind starts with the new year.

I may have done something else in CLF, can't remember for sure.

Some bag workout. About 18 minutes. Lighter power with strikes due to thumb issues. Didn't do all out rounds so much as some of the drills I have learned in sparring class recently. And just some focusing on details of strikes and kicks and short combinations of them.

9:00 - School closes.

4 hours

Saturday, December 22, 2018 - Work during day/ rest day

Sunday, December 23, 2018 - School closed/ Rest day

2018 Week 51 = 12 hours and 04 minutes
    2018 Total Hours = 667 hours and 29 minutes

Monday, December 24, 2018 - School closed for Xmas eve/ Rest day.

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - School closed for Xmas holiday/ rest day.

axelb likes this.
  3. aaradia

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - I am on vacation until after the new year. Yay! I meant to go in earlier today, but frankly, I was a bit lazy. Hard to motivate oneself after 4 days off from working out.

6:00 - Solo practice. Sigh, not sure what. Only two days ago and I can't remember. Pretty sure I did some Shaolin Five animal, Some Ping Kuen, and three section staff. Most or all of my current curriculum for my sash level of TCC. I know I did Small Circle Fast form. I think I did all the others, but I may have missed one. Some wooden dummy. Not the whole form, I took time off to work on other things and now I am forgetting parts. I will get it back.

At some point in this practice, I did some two person staff with Ms. B. Our usual practice time is cancelled last Tuesday and the next one. Due to Tuesday falling on holidays. We were able to practice in the big room instead of outside as we usually do. The big room is usually crowded during our regular practice time. This was good because the big room is where her test will be. And it was a tad disorienting for her to do it in the big room for the first time. I get to practice this form in the big room with Ms. M regularly. I don't know exactly how long we practiced, but my estimate would be about our usual half hour.

Then I went back to solo practice, listed above.

9:00 - School closes

3 hours

Thursday, December 27, 2018 - Still being lazy. Still didn't come in as early as I had planned. But better than yesterday.

5:00ish - Solo practice. Shaolin Five Animal. Stuck on the new part I am trying to add. Needing going home and reviewing the video. Wooden Dummy- forgot parts, going back to get it all back in my memory. Same thing, I need to put some study time in for the video on my school's streaming service.

Again, I am already mixing up my days, so not 100% sure. But I think I ran through all my TCC current test materials. 9 Dragon spear, Buddha Palm, Wind Chasing Fan, Small Circle Fast form, and double gim.

6:00- Yay! Got to do a full TCC group class. 24 and 40. Then some pattern push hands. Then some light moving step.

7:00 - Well Tai Sifu was out unexpectedly at the last minute. And the usual instructor who fills in when Tai Sifu isn't there couldn't run the class. So my CLF instructor filled in for a half hour at the last minute. Super nice of him to do this. It was just Ms. R, Ms. M and I. So we got to review black sash materials. Which we normally don't get to do in this class. So, review and detailing of Ping Kuen and part of Ng Lun Ma. He had to teach at 7:30, but he offered to come back and do another half hour at 8:00. Again, super cool and beyond what duty called him to do. But I couldn't as that is my TCC private lesson time.

7:30 - Ms. R and Ms. M and I finished Ng Lun Ma. Then another instructor came and reviewed Small Five Animal with us. The Chief instructor came and discussed us doing performances at the upcoming Chinese New Year celebration. Looks like the three of us will do an abbreviated version of Ping Kuen. Never done a synced CLF solo form for an exhibition. Have done so with TCC, but that seems easier to sync because of the slow movement. So, this will be a new learning experience. o_O;)

8:00 - Private TCC lesson. Focus shift with new understanding of what will go into my next test. Review and corrections for Small Circle Fast form and Buddha Palm.

8:30 - Some chatting with instructors about various stuff. MA related. I think I did practice something. Jeez, my memory is bad. Scares me a bit.

3 hours and 30 minutes

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  4. aaradia

Friday, December 28, 2018 - Let's see if I can write this down the same day, so that I remember everything! And my days don't run together with "what did I practice what day?"

4:45 ish - Solo Practice. CLF - 3 section staff. Good news. Got up to 10 rotations of the over and under flowers! Bad news, later practicing it, I cracked myself in the head pretty hard. I am very inconsistent with these flowers. I do well for awhile, then do very poorly. Shaolin Five Animal. I added the end today. Yes!!! I have gotten to the end of learning the moves. Big progress! And I made my goal to do this by the end of the year. I didn't think I was going to make that goal. Now, I am still shaky on parts of it memory wise. It is going to take more work to fully run through it without glitches and stopping points. But still, it is about 200 moves, so I am happy with my progress. I hope that this saves my instructor time, so he can focus on details, instead of teaching me moves when the time comes to learn it from him. That is the point of doing this - to maximize the efficiency my lesson time by doing what I can on my own. I am sure my instructor will have LOTS of corrections for it! ;)

TCC - 9 dragon spear. Buddha Palm. Double Gim. Part of Wind Chasing fan.

I skipped weapon forms class tonight at 6:00. Too many other things I need to work on. Kept with my solo practice.

6:30 - Techniques practice with Ms. B and Ms. M. Then Ms. M and I worked on two person stuff. Lots of Broadsword vs spear- me doing the spear side. She doesn't know the other side yet and I am just learning it. We are planning on doing this form for the upcoming tournament. It needs a lot of work to be tournament ready, so we are working hard on it. Then Cross pattern vs Plum Blossom hand form. Then a little bit of pattern.

We did do some chatting.

4 hours

axelb likes this.
  5. aaradia

Saturday, December 29, 2018 -

9:35 - Two person practice with Ms. R. Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom and both sides of Broadsword vs spear. Not quite all the way through with me on the Broadsword side. I haven't learned the last bit yet. So, I finally felt like I made progress with the broadsword side today. Yay!:D

10:00 - TCC class. Went over and detailed the 32 gim and the last half of the 108 long form. The class was small- classes have been that way all week. I think due to a lot of people off on holiday vacations or just various holiday stuff. So, it was Ms. R and Ms. M and I. We all do both CLF and TCC. So the instructor was talking during the warm up about tips on how to manage staying up on everything in both curriculum's. It was helpful!

11:00 - Sparring class. All drills today, not matches. But really good drills. Some bag drills and then some kicking drills holding the big kicking shield with a partner. I wasn't all that happy with my snap kicks, although they got better by the end of the drill. My Power thrusts, well they are a weak kick for me and today was no different. My knees I was more happy with. The straight ones being better than the roundhouse knees. I really like this instructors drills!

12:00 - Advanced Push Hands/ Moving step class. Same three of us that were in TCC class. First part we did a drill focusing on being rooted and stopping a push with only the body, no arms. Kind of a standard drill we do a lot. I think we did another drill too, but I can't remember offhand. Then some matches. When it was my turn to play the instructor, I picked his brain on how to handle a particular move a student does a lot. Got some other great tips too! Moving step, we did matches and he would stop the match to teach us something that he was seeing in the match.

1:00 - Stretching class. I felt like I could see some progress in class today. :)

1:30 - very short break. I wasn't as tired as I often am at this point. Still tired, but not as much. Solo practice. CLF - Sup Ji Kau Da. TCC - Small Circle Fast form and Buddha Palm. The last half hour I started slowing down. I took some breaks to call in food when I left, put some gear away, and all in between some working out.

3:02 - School closes

Next year, there are changes to the class schedule. It is going to affect my workout schedule a bit - not too badly, but some.

And this closes out my workouts for 2018! The school is closed until Jan 2, 2018.
    I managed to not miss a day logging all year! A few times the details were not as good as I would have liked, but overall this is very useful to do and have.

5 hours and 10 minutes

Sunday, December 30, 2018 - Rest Day

2018 Week 52 = 15 hours and 40 minutes
    2018 Total Hours = 683 hours and 09 minutes

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    melbgoju and axelb like this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

What a year of training! Certainly dedication to the log as much as your training :)

Mitch and aaradia like this.
  7. aaradia

It was a great year! I find this log helpful to my training. Having a record of things - it helps.

Mitch and axelb like this.
  8. aaradia

Well, I have to make a change to my Monday and my total hours for 2018. :)

Monday, December 31, 2018 - School closed due to New Year's Eve. But Tai Sifu got together a last minute workout. Literally, an intense workout/ sparring session the last hour of 2018 to ring in 2019. It was open to instructors and students. I was one of two students who showed up. There were 7 instructors, including Tai Sifu. Also, Tai Simo was there running the rounds.

First 20 minutes - Bag rounds interspersed with various other exercises. A round of kicks and then a round of push ups. A round of punches and then a round of pull ups. I used this rubber thing to do them- sort of hard to explain. Never done it before. Next, a round of elbows and knees and then a round of planks. Finally a round of everything goes followed by a round of horse stance.

Second 20 minutes - Sparring. It was great! I got to get beat up by all these instructors I don't usually get to spar! Got whupped and it was great! Learned a lot on what to prioritize working on.

3rd 17 minutes - rounds of Push hands. Got to play Tai Sifu, among others. Some of us did push hands, others did rounds of grappling.

We stopped 3 minutes to the new year and had cake pops and sparkling apple juice and cheered the new year together.

It was AWESOME! I hope it is a new yearly tradition! It just felt like a great way to get the new year started and finish up the old one. No place else I would rather be.

57 Minutes

2018 Total Hours = 684 hours and 06 minutes

Tuesday, January 1, 2019 - School closed due to New Year's Day Holiday/ Rest Day

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 - Evening shift/ back to work after vacation/ Rest Day

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    axelb and melbgoju like this.
  9. aaradia

Thursday, January 3, 2019 - School back open after being closed for various holidays on and off the last week. I am off vacation. Back to the regular routine!

6:30 - last half of TCC class. 40 and then some pattern push hands.

7:00 - Tai Sifu/ Advanced CLF class. Yeah! One of my favorite things in this class was the focus tonight. Drilling the first level of techniques with a partner. Didn't even get through all the yellow sash level techniques. It was great!

8:00- private TCC lesson. Focused on the weapon forms for my next test. Double Gim, Wind Chasing Fan, and 9 dragon spear.

8:30 - practiced the TCC weapon forms from my lesson, focusing on the corrections I was given.

9:00 - school closes

2 hours and 30 minutes

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  10. aaradia

Friday, January 4, 2019 - I am just lagging on my Fridays off work. Getting in an hour or two past when I intend. Just laziness. really.

5:15 - Solo practice. Practiced the first part of Ping Kuen in the big room where the Chinese New Year exhibition will be. Did it facing the way I will be in the exhibition, not the direction I usually face and it messed me up! Gotta practice it this direction to be ready for the exhibition AND gotta start practicing forms in different directions regularly just as an overall thing.

5:30 - TCC class for a certain membership. Tai Sifu had us working on the 32 Gim and then the beginning of the 108 long form.

6:00 - Weapon Forms class. Beginning of the stick form.

6:30 - Here is one of those class changes I mentioned before. Stick Fighting class is now on Fridays at 6:30. So, stick fighting class. Focus today was on various footwork drills. End of the class was footwork drill with a strike mixed into the drill.

7:00 - took a few minutes to get into the new routine. Ms. B and Ms. M and I took a few minutes to get our stuff together to get started.

7:10ish - Techniques practice with Ms. M and Ms. B. The usual, running through each one twice.

8:00 - Two person practice with Ms. M. Broadsword vs spear, Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom, and some pattern push hands.

9:05 - school closes

3 hours and 40 minutes

Saturday, January 5, 2019 - Work all day/ rest day

Sunday, Janurary, 6, 2019 - rest day

2019 Week 1 = 6 hours and 10 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 6 hours and 10 minutes

So my first week for 2019 is a short one with regards to workout time. There was the holiday closure and it is the one where I work on Saturday. I didn't count the New Year Workout as it was last year. Even though it was this week. It is in my total hours for 2018, but not for this week. A little hard to figure out how to work that in to the tallies. This is what I decided on.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  11. aaradia

Monday, January 7, 2019 -

6:30 - Solo practice. CLF - Ping Kuen- full and exhibition version. I was practicing facing the way I will be for the exhibition. It messed me up!

7:00 - Group striking class. This is a basic group class. I am going because the instructor of this class is also a friend. She told me they need more advanced students there to set some examples with some of the newer students in their approach to the class. So, I will be going for awhile. The instructor just graduated with the last class of instructors. And, as I knew would be the case, she did a really good job with the class. The focus on the class was open hand strikes- spear hands, eye pokes, and open handed chops.

7:30 - Solo practice. CLF - More Ping Kuen. Sup Ji Kau Da. TCC - Small Circle Fast form. Buddha Palm. 9 Draon spear. More focus on a details of a few forms than running through more tonight.

9:45ish? - I TOTALLY forgot to look at my stopwatch or clock in my car when I left. So this is a rough estimate based on the average time. School closes

3 hours and 15 minutes

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 -

6:30 - two person practice with Ms. B. Ran through all the 2 person material she needs for her next test. Both sides of two person staff, Golden Leopard vs Tiger, and 9 star.

7:00 - waiting for Ms. M to be ready for practice. Did not know it would take as long as it did. She got delayed. Talked to Chief instructor about doing 54 gim for upcoming exhibition with two other students.

7:14 - Ms. R had a lesson, so forms practice with Ms. M. She got a late start joining me too. We did weapon forms, staff, stick, spear, broadsword, and butterfly knives. We were both really rusty on the butterfly knives! We don't normally do this with Ms. R, as she knows a different butterfly knives form, due to curriculum changes over the years.

7:30 - Ms. M and Ms. R and I practiced Ping Kuen for our upcoming performance for the Chinese New Year Exhibition.

8:00 - Private CLF lesson. Ms. R stayed and we worked on review and learning more of the Broadsword vs spear- me on the broadsword side. Finished learning this side today! So, now I have been shown both sides completely! Lots of work needed to get it down though. Afterwards, I learned the tournament version of Ping Kuen, well that is really the same as the exhibition version, so my instructor reviewed it with corrections. He gave me a tournament version of 3 section staff. And review with corrections of the tournament techniques- which are 3 dagger techniques.

IT IS OFFICIALLY TOURNAMENT SEASON!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!

8:30 - worked on tournament versions learned in lesson. Particularly the three section staff.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 - evening shift/ rest day

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    axelb and Jaydub like this.
  12. aaradia

Thursday, January 10, 2019 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class. We worked on the Plum Blossom Fan form. Which was great as I haven't done that one in awhile. Great, even though it is my least favorite form that I know in TCC.

7:00 - Tai Sifu CLF class. Review and detailing of forms. Formal exercise and stick. Then this mini form that Tai Sifu developed to get the fundamental movements of a one ended staff down. Then 9-star two person form. Tai Sifu had me team up with an intermediate student that hadn't done the form at all. I am honored that Tai Sifu does this a lot when it comes to doing this form in his class. My fellow student was a quick learner and we got through the first half or so of one side. We ended up the class with application drills.

8:00 - TCC private lesson. Super detailing out of Wind Chasing Fan form. It was one of those awesome mind blowing classes! He talked about some advanced movement and timing details. One thing was how to time smaller parts of basic movements with peeling off the foot for better continuous movement. The other was smaller body -for lack of a better term - mini crunches within other movements to better incorporate more full body movement. I am still integrating this lesson and will be for some time.

8:30 - practiced what I learned in my TCC private lesson.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Friday, January 11, 2019 -

6:30 - Stick Fighting class. Various footwork drills. 3 people in class. Which is up from 2, but not much better. This was only the second class at the new day and time. We will see if there are more students joining as students adjust to the new schedule.

7:00 - Techniques practice with Ms. M and Ms. B. The usual, ran through everything twice, with a few done an extra time when one or more of us messed up.

8:00 - Two person practice with Ms. M. Focus on the Broadsword vs spear because that is what we are doing in tournament. It is coming along, but VERY FAR from being tournament ready! Also some Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern. A tad of TCC walking pattern.

2 hours and 30 minutes

axelb likes this.
  13. aaradia

Saturday, January 12, 2019 -

9:30 - Finally got to the school on time for two person practice with Ms. R, but she left a message with Tai Sifu that she was sick and wouldn't be in! I took time to tape up my thumbs, which I hadn't done in a hurry to get there on time. Putzed around.

10:00 - My first time with the new schedule on Saturdays. Advanced push hands/ moving step class. Advanced push hands. Drills and then some matches. Can't remember what the drills were right at the moment. Moving step. Matches.

11:00 - Sparring class. Started off with kicking drills with one person holding the kicking shield bag. I was doing terrible today with these drills! The power thrust is just one of my worst kicks so far. :( Then some other footwork/ striking drills. Some light rounds and finished up with some bag workout rounds. I had to remember to punch lighter with my thumbs acting up lately. I sometimes forgot and hit too hard. But they don't feel too bad now (two days later) as I write this.

12:00 - Some rest time after the classes. Then some solo practice. I worked on my exhibition versions of the forms I will be doing - facing the way I will for the exhibition. That would be Ping Kuen and the 54 Gim.

1:00 - Stretching class.

1:30 - Solo practice. CLF- Sup Ji Kau Da, Full version of Ping Kuen. Worked on Wind Chasing Fan corrections I received last Thursday during my lesson. Then I practiced some of my tournament forms facing the way we often do in Mega group classes. Ping Kuen and 3 section staff. I had my CLF instructor offer to look at my over and under flowers to help out the issues I am having with consistently doing those. He gave me tips and I practiced them. Going back to doing it with the staff some as well. Mostly, I need to hold my arm up higher behind the back. And then put a little more momentum in the spin at a certain point. I learned the momentum is not all the same at all points of the flower, which was news to me. I also practiced tournament TCC hand form this direction. Small Circle Fast form.

I think I did some Buddha Palm too? I may be forgetting something else, but I think my focus was on tournament stuff.

3:10 - school closes

4 hours and 40 minutes

Sunday, January 13, 2019 - rest day. I did go to lunch and hang out with my former long term instructor for a few hours. That was really great, to catch up with her. :)

2019 Week 2 = 15 hours and 25 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 21 hours and 35 minutes

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  14. aaradia

Monday, January 14, 2019 - wasn't feeling very good all day, although doing much better than I was earlier. So, got there late.

7:00 - Group Class. Focus was on elbow strikes.

7:30 - Solo practice. CLF - Wooden dummy. getting the whole thing back in my memory. Got a good chunk into it today. Tournament version of 3 section staff. Still trying to get that over and under flower going consistently! Tournament/ exhibition version of Ping Kuen. Sup Ji Kau Da.

TCC - Exhibition version of 54 Gim. Forms for my next test. 9 dragon spear, double gim, Wind Chasing fan, Buddha palm and Small Circle fast form. Also, tournament version of small circle fast form. Also practiced flute form.

A bit of stretching.

10:05 - school closes

3 hours and 5 minutes

axelb likes this.
  15. aaradia

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - Still fighting something off. Again, felt worse earlier. Slept a LOT.

6:30 - Two person staff practice with Ms. B

7:00 - Form practice with Ms. M and Ms. R. Staff, stick, spear, Ping Kuen, Small Five Animal, Sup Ji Jit Fu, Siu Moi Fa. About 7:35ish, we switched to practicing the exhibition version of Ping Kuen.

8:00 - CLF private lesson.This time, Ms. M stayed to work on two person stuff during my lesson. She will be my two person partner during tournament, so it is time to get our broadsword vs spear up to tournament level. I will be doing the spear side for tournament. Then, review and corrections of my CLF tournament stuff. Dagger techniques, Ping Kuen and 3 section staff. My instructor talked to me about my biggest hurdle for 3 section staff being mental, not physical. He is right. I AM scared of the dang thing! I like it, but it is painful and I don't feel in control during that flower sometimes.

The focus in my lessons is going to be tournament for awhile. Not learning more of Sup Ji Kau Da. That is fine. I got plenty to work on just getting my new curriculum stuff down better. And of course, working on tournament stuff.

8:30 - solo practice. 3 section staff- tournament version. And Sup Ji Kau Da.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - Evening shift/ rest day

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  16. aaradia

Thursday, January 17, 2019 -

6:30 - last half of TCC class. They were finishing up the 24 form when I got there. The instructor had some details afterwards to go over. Then, some pattern push hands practice. And a new pattern style drill.

7:00 - Advanced CLF class. Tai Sifu is out for a few weeks on paternity leave. He and Tai Simo just had a healthy baby girl today! Their first!:) Ok, techniques day today. We went over the Green sash techniques and then drilled them with a partner.

8:00 - TCC private lesson. Finished up this round of details for the Wind Chasing Fan. Then, started to develop a tournament version of the 9 dragon spear. Also, review and corrections of the full version of the 9 dragon spear.

8:30 - worked on getting that tournament version down of the 9 dragon spear. The timing wasn't working out on the possible versions my instructor said, but it gave me ideas. The time has to be 1 and a half minutes. I still don't have it down fully. Hopefully, I will get one figured out tomorrow.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Mitch likes this.
  17. aaradia

Friday, January, 18, 2019 -

4:58 - Solo practice. Tournament versions of forms. 3 section staff, Ping Kuen, dagger techniques, Small Circle Fast form and 9 dragon spear.

6:00 - Weapon forms class. Stick form.

6:30 - Stick Fighting Class. Again, lots of drills on footwork.

7:00 - Techniques practice with Ms. B and Ms. M. Did two of every level except Brown 1st=Dagger and stick techniques. Ms. B's (also mine) CLF instructor had some spare time and wanted to look at our 2 person staff - both sides. In two person practice, some days one or both can be off. Today she was a little off on the sequence, more than usual. We were both off in our practice last Tuesday. Anyways, she got some corrections. I didn't. Not because I was perfect by any means! LOL! It is just because she is preparing to test and so he is focusing on where she is at to get her test ready.

8:00 - Two person practice with Ms. M. Mostly the spear vs broadsword, due to it being what we will do in tournament. But also some Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern. And a little bit of TCC Da Lu.

4 hours and 02 minutes

Saturday, January 19, 2019 - Work day/ rest day

Sunday, January 20, 2019 - Rest day. Darn it! I was fighting off a cold all week and thought I had succeeded. But starting last night I came down with it full on. Head cold. Major sore throat and congestion. We will see how bad it gets. :(

2019 Week 3 = 12 hours and 07 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 33 hours and 42 minutes

Monday, January 21, 2019 - I am bummed out! I have the day off of work, due to it being the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday. But this head cold got far worse last night. No way I can go work out. Tomorrow isn't looking good either..:( Not the best workout start to the New Year. Sick! Rest day.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - Bleah. Still sick. Going to miss my workout today. Called in sick for work too.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  18. aaradia

Well, this week is almost a total wash out. Been sick all week and am still sick! Went in once.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - Would have normally been an evening shift/ Day off, but it was a sick day. Missed work too.

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - went into work. Went to do a light workout. Because I had a commitment to practice with my two TCC partners for the upcoming Chinese New Year's exhibition. We haven't even practiced together, and it is only a couple of weeks away. So I had to go. It was one of the few days where I really didn't want to go. Just because it was a long first day back at work and I am still sick.

So, I got there at 6:30, but I didn't do TCC class because the instructor teaching now usually has us doing two person drills and/ or pattern or push hands. And I don't think I am contagious, but am still coughing and all stuffed up. So I don't think I should be touching any classmates just yet. I ended up chatting with a fellow student about her training. Her next test is black, so I was asking how her cross section (old techniques) was coming along.

7:00 - skipped Advanced CLF class to do 54 Gim exhibition practice with Ms. W and Ms. S. Wow, we really need the practice to get ready. We were not in sync on too many details. We got an instructor, my TCC instructor, to get us all in sync and on the same page.

8:00 - Private TCC lesson. Actually I think it started late and ran late. He was still helping with the exhibition practice. Let's see, we did the double gim, and he had a new detail, basically a whole new way of doing two moves. More flowery and fancy. He also looked at my tournament version of spear and Small Circle Fast Form.

8:40ish???? - A little more TCC practice, going over corrections given in my lesson.

2 hours

Friday, January 25, 2019 - sick. I went to work, but then to Urgent Care afterwards. I know there is no cure for the cold, but the cough was so bad, Also, pressure and blockage in my ears. I needed to get it treated Got loaded up with cough syrup, and several other cold medicines. They tried to put me on antibiotics, but seeing as it is just a head cold, I politely objected and the Dr. said that was ok. They prescribe antibiotics too easily and I already have a resistance to one. I want to respond to antibiotics when I really need them!

Saturday, January, 26, 2019 - missed my workout again. Still sick. Super bummed out and bored.

Sunday, January 27, 2019 - I know I will still be sick. And it is a normal rest day for me anyways. Hopefully, next week will be better. :( Barely anything to report- just one day of a light workout and a whole lotta nothing. :mad:

I made sure to let all my various partners know I would be out.

2019 Week 4 = 2 hours and 00 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 35 hours and 42 minutes

axelb likes this.
  19. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

:( sounds like awful cold, get well soon

aaradia likes this.
  20. aaradia

Thanks axelb!

Monday, January 28, 2019 - Going to give it a go. I am getting better, but slowly. I am still fatigued, congested, and on medication for a heavy cough. This cold is going around my school. Instructors and other students have it.

6:30 - Solo practice. TCC only today. Not up to moving fast or testing my cardio when I can't breath properly. Skipped group class for same reason. Tournament version of 9 dragon spear and Small circle fast form. Faced different direction than usual so that I get used to performing no matter what angle. Full version of Small Circle Fast form, Wind Chasing Fan, double Gim and Buddha Palm. Spent time trying to get down the new fancy way of doing this couple of moves in the double gim I just learned. A more flowery way of doing it. It's good to know both ways.

Took it easy, lots of breaks, and I didn't stay as long as I usually do. A bit before 9:00, I felt like I hit my wall. So I decided to stretch a bit. But I underestimated the wall I hit. Even stretching felt too hard, so I just went home.

9:00 - ish. Chatted with an instructor, who is my friend, at the school and then went home.

1 hour and 50 minutes

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 -

6:30 - did not find my two person practice partner right away. This was my first attempt for about a week and a half at doing some CLF. As I am getting over it, my partner for this practice - Ms. B is coming down with it. She just wanted to run through everything a couple of times. But since I am still coughing and did not want to accidentally cough in he face, AND she might be contagious and I don't need to get sick again, we decided against the contact of hand forms and just did the two person staff. Hopefully, we will get back in full swing next week. Depending on how bad she gets this cold.

6:53ish? - A fellow student, Ms. T came up and asked me if she could join Ms. R and Ms. M and my forms practice. This was out of the blue and unexpected. I as like "sure?" While waiting for the others to join us, we did some two person staff. Ms. T 's next test is the black sash, but she really doesn't have any regular two person partners. And she is just learning the two person staff. You can see when someone normally only does a two person form solo, because the targeting and distance and timing is off. Well, that is part of what two person forms help develop!

Ms. M and Ms. R showed up and were cool with her joining us. So, Small Five Animal, Sup Ji Jit Fu, Stick, Staff, Broadsword and spear. I had to leave during the spear and deal with a coughing congestive fit. So I didn't really do that one. We stopped forms practice early so that Ms. M and Ms. R and I could go in and practice for the exhibition. I told Ms. T that she was welcome to keep joining us, but that we also do some Black sash forms. If she didn't mind not being able to do those yet and hanging while we did those, she was more than welcome! She didn't mind.

I found out later talking to Ms. M and Ms. R that Ms. M had talked to her earlier. Ms. T had asked her about joining us and Ms. M had said the same thing. That as long as she didn't mind hanging when we also did Black Sash level forms, it was fine.

7:35 - Ping Kuen exhibition practice with Ms. M and Ms. R. We still aren't in sync fully. Worked on it. My details were off the first go through, but ok after that. Having just a little time off threw me. About 7:55, my CLF instructor watched and gave some feedback.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Full hour. The second half was a make up lesson from being sick last week. Started off with Ms. M joining in for review and corrections on the Broadsword vs spear form. We will be doing it for tournament. I need to jump higher! Not easy for me, but I will work on it. Talked to him about some stuff. Private stuff I won't talk about in detail. Had to do with exhibition and tournament preparations. Then review and corrections of tournament stuff. He had already reviewed Ping Kuen, so dagger techniques and three section staff. Then review, corrections and learning a few new moves of Sup Ji Kau Da.

I did ok tonight, was exhausting and I wasn't fully back to normal, but it felt good to sweat it out some too!

9:10 School closes

2 hours and 25 minutes

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - Evening shift/ rest day

axelb likes this.