Joong Bong Il Hyung question

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by coc716, Aug 29, 2007.

1. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Got into a discussion about this today and figured I'd poll for more variations. :)

To help with illustrating this, imagine there's a clock in front of you. Your head at 12, feet at 6, right hand at 3, left hand at 9.

In Joong Bong Il Hyung, near the beginning, you do standing technique 14a, then kneel and do it again. You switch your grip with your right hand, then you perform a strike going from (here's the clock reference) 12 to 6, then reverse the strike going from 6 to 12. It's the movement after this I'm curious about.

I was taught to then move in a strike going from 9 to 3, then back from 3 to 9. But I've also been taught that the strike goes kinda from like 10 or 11 to 4 or 5, and then back along that same track. There's also been some other slight variation, like it might go 9 to 3 then kinda dip down and return 5 to 11.

I checked Textbook 3, I checked the Staff handbook... can you believe they teach the same thing yet they are inconsistent? :D You'd think they should be showing the same thing, but no.... even video 6 is a bit different :bang: And everything's none too conclusive on this question.

I know that everyone can do things slightly differently, things change, interpretation, etc.. And I know the rule -- do what you were taught by the ranking person at your school (or whomever showed you, e.g. seminar). But I'm just curious what other folks tend to do around here at that point.

2. Studude67

Studude67 The hungry fighter

its quite different in Korea, at that point (down on one knee) the first strike comes like normal (right handgoes back under your left arm and forward again), then a horizontal strike is performed from 9 to 3 so your right hand is bracing the staff against your right bicepand then an upward strike is performed from 6 to 12 (therefore bringing your right hand infrontand the left braces the staff against the left shoulder~ complicated to explain but looks great.

3. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

I was taught the 10-4 way

4. ember

ember Valued Member

If I'm understanding correctly, you're talking about the second back-strike while still kneeling (and not the #8-ish motion that comes when you stand back up)?

I thought it was more diagonal, but both hwarang_cl and KJN indicated that at least the return is relatively vertical. So I think I do more of a 4-10 or 5-11 motion...

5. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Everybody really needs to remember that hyung is a series of abstract movements based on actual fighting techniques, whether it be defensive or offensive.

But like Embs said, I was ALWAYS shown that the movement was vertical in nature. It was explained to me that the motion in question is similiar to a block we practice at Clearlake, the brush the fly off your hip/ear motion. I know some people do it horizontally but I believe that they saw that in a demo, and like Ive said before memorize what is in the book, not whats on tape/DVD. The DVD/VHS version of the hyung IIRC has it in a more horizontal motion because they did it that way for demos. If you didnt know, Most of the Masters change the hyung/technique for Demo, for whatever reason. Its not wrong, its just a demo technique. Kinda like Po Bok Sool #9 most people know it as a whip like technique, but it really is a throw from the shoulder. Also KSN does a demo of Ee uhn Ji Ahp Sool when he throws his partners towards eachother, this is actually #9 where one goes forward and one partner goes back. In the book it shows this but in EVERY single demo Ive seen of him he does it in the demo style.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  6. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Oh I agree. It's always interesting as well to see how people phrase the different movements... how they interpret them... how the "translate" the movement into some sort of practical tech.

I know that things change, that people learn things from different instructors, different embellishments, and like you said people may demo one way and actually perform the tech another way. This is why I ask. I find some things most everyone does the same way, I find some things that I ask 100 people and get 100 different answers. I ask because getting different perspectives, at least for me, yields to a better understanding of what's really going on.