Joining a MMA gym

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by SaintDomingo, Mar 22, 2016.

1. SaintDomingo

SaintDomingo Valued Member

Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to lots of Easter eggs!
    Sorry for making another thread on this topic!

I'm going to apply for Liverpool's Next Generation MMA's 2 week free trial. The thing is, on the application you (I) can only select 1 of 4 options being: BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing or MMA.
    Now I've tried boxing already a few years ago and I have trained Judo for a few weeks recently and I love the groundwork so I'm pretty confident I would enjoy BJJ.

So that leaves MMA and Muay Thai, so I was just wondering which burned more calories or was better conditioning? One of the main reasons I want to get into Martial Arts was fitness, the other one being enjoyment, but since this a free trial where I can only choose 1, I wouldn't know which one I enjoy more until I give them a go (which would be after the free trial).

So yeah, which one is more likely to get me into shape quicker? I really want to try the BJJ as well but I want to try something I've had no experience in before. It's a shame I couldn't just have 1 free class at all of them like :rolleyes: but I'm not complaining, it's still free!

Cheers for any replies in advance!

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It's a free trial bud, so you'll probably get chucked in the shallow end with greater focus on learning technique than cardio/burning calories either way.

3. SaintDomingo

SaintDomingo Valued Member

Ah right, didn't think about that!
    Cheers for the reply!

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Personally I like MMA. Howevre you could always talk to the instructor about how you're interested in trying everything and asking very politely if there is another option for the two week trial.

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Both are absolutely knackering in different ways.

I wouldn't worry about counting how many calories you might burn.

If you came to a day one class at the gym where I train you would be doing:

Muay Thai: warm up, shadow box, pad work for rounds, sparring

MMA: warm up, clinch/pummelling and then either drilling on the ground or drilling takedowns before sparring from either standing or from the knees with strikes.

I am always left drenched in sweat.