Joined Judo - Grrrr! Is this instructor crazy?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by jujitsuka07, Jun 9, 2008.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

If he had unbalanced you correctly there should be no need for a forcefull throw.

regards koyo

2. Devildog2930

Devildog2930 Teneo vestri ego.

In fairness to the other student he probably didn't use full force. As he broke my ballance backwards and stepped through he folllowed me down onto his knees with the throw adding his body weight into the equation. I don't think he expected me to go with such ease.

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Argh Maki komi osoto gari.Dangerous technique. Sounds like an accident. Hope he apologised afterwards.

regards koyo

4. Devildog2930

Yes he was most appologetic as I lay there trying to catch my breath l. I think he thought he had broke my back from the noise I made as I hit the floor lol. Anyhow a few bruises never hurt anyone, just need a couple of days to let my neck ease up.:hat:

5. righty

righty Valued Member

But good unbalancing leads to powerful throws.

Could you describe O-soto gari makikomi? I though all makikomis were when uke's balance in broken and thrown in a forwardish direction (could be wrong of course). EDIT: And yes I am wrong...http://www.judoinfo.com/images/nauta/osotomakikomi.htm
    To me it sounds more like in this case tori overbalanced forward during the throw and falling at least partially on poor Devildog.

As to how powerful to throw and how much to resist it will depend on what level you are at and what you are training. eg. you would resist more during randori. If you are learning a throw for the first time you would not try it at first with full power and would expect your partner to resist less.

Lovely quote.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  6. Devildog2930

I don't know if O-soto gari makikomi is the name of the throw that was done on me but I will try and explain how it was done.

Tori takes grip with both hands on the lappels, then letting go with the right hand comming up under uke's right arm and grabbing hold of the gi just above the shoulder as you step through with the Osoto gari attack. The position of the arms means that Uke's balance is quite easily broken. Dropping down onto your knee as you execute the technique ( as I found out) adds momentum and power to the technique.

7. righty

righty Valued Member

Hmmm, doesn't this then mean that your hands will be crossed up?
    If you left hand in holding is holding uke's right lapel and your right arm is wrapping around underneath uke's right arm. Unless maybe you had a really high grip with that left hand but it still doesn't seem like it would be doing much.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  8. Devildog2930

You need to pull the lappel loose creating Uk's arm to rise for the other hand to come up under the armpit so that your hands are positioned around 10cm apart roughly on the shoulder of the gi. At no time are your arms crossed. effectively you have one arm on the front of the shoulder and one behind.

9. righty

righty Valued Member

Yep, gotcha!