JKDbyNik and ME... swapping HKD for JKD?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Bigmikey, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Thought I'd put this here instead of the JKD forum as it isnt necessarily just about JKD. Feel free to move it if the modship disagrees :)

After talking with Nik a bit, he graciously extended me a free week to try his JKD, and I agreed to take advantage of that. In return he's asked that I chronicle my experience here and share the tale with everyone.

He's not exceedingly close but not so far that it's impossible to get there. 24.8 miles according to Le Google and 45 minutes. I'm hoping its more like 30.

I've entertained the thought of JKD in passing before but not looked into it very heavily as the only school even close to me used it as part of an overall curriculum that also taught some things I A) wasnt familiar with and B) didnt want to learn. This appears to be a chance to learn something straight forward and, hopefully, nothing like the stuff I have wasted three years on.

I'm excited and can't wait to get started but between prep for the BB test in November and my physical therapy for the knee I'm booked solid until the week starting the 17th. So stay tuned MAPpers!!!

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Good luck with it. Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

3. Bigmikey

Looking forward to SURVIVING long enough to type them out...

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That will be awesome! Nik is frI'm the same lineage as me so I approve this message!!

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You'll have a ball Mikey! I've loved every bit of cross training I've ever done. For me it enriched my TKD and took me in new directions.

Enjoy the experience and be alive to the cross overs with your base art. A former student of mine moved into BJJ in a big way. People will not believe it but he found some parallels, in terms of movements, dynamics and principles.

Keep us posted :)

Mitch

6. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Be like water........all wiggly and wet!

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Cool! I look forward to the updates!

We encourage people to cross train (usually after hitting 1st dan) and we've seen great results. We've had an excellent and ongoing relationship with the local Aikido school, other TKD schools, and some people who've gone (or come from the local) NHB school. Add that to the various seminars that come around and we can really see the value of working with others (especially the chance to spar/roll with other styles).

Open mind and have fun!

8. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Have fun Mikey. Cross training is very fun. All the awkwardness at the beginning is well worth it.

9. Bigmikey

Thanks everyone! I think I'm just burned out on what I do. The lifting, the HKD... I just need something to jar me awake again and I hope this is it! Looking forward to this very much!

10. JKDbyNik

JKDbyNik Valued Member

Thanks for starting this thread Mikey! Now I'm in the spotlight! LOL!

In all seriousness though, I am very much looking forward to it! All I can do is do the best job I can to express JKD to you, after that it's all you brotha! See ya soon!

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Hi Mickey not being funny but why are you preping for your BB if in your own words

Why go for a black belt in an art you feel you are wasting time in?

12. JKDJoe

JKDJoe Valued Member

Good deal, keep us updated. I doubt I will ever be in the Chicago area, but if I am, I plan to visit Nik as well.

13. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

JKD is fun to train in..you should enjoy it.

14. Bigmikey

Fair question. And my answer will be undeserving of it. Quite simply, to finish what I've started. I know, I know, MANY of you have told me you think its stupid. I get that. But its just how I'm wired. My old man pounded that into me and I cant shake it. IF I commit to something, I do my best to finish. At least that way, regardless of the outcome, theres no stink on me. I set out to do what I said I would, I held up my end of the deal, I didnt quit.

I realize that to some of you that just sounds like idealistic drivel. Fair enough. It may well be. But it's not worth the internal grief I'll feel to try and change it. So, I will endure, see it through, complete my mission and then move on, the wiser for it.

15. JKDbyNik

JKDbyNik Valued Member

JKDJoe.....sometimes I make it down to Atlanta, I don't know how far that is from you. But next time I am down there, I will be happy to let you know.

BigMikey, I think you're doing the right thing testing for you BB. You already put in 3 years of your life behind it, finish what you started bro. It's still an accomplishment to be proud of, whether or not you believe in the system. Plus, you're stuck under contract, so rather than being negative about your time there, just enjoy what you are getting and make the most of it. That's just my .02 cents. In the meanwhile, I am looking forward to having you at our gym soon!

16. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi, this may sound corny as all heck - but to me keeping your word (whether to others or to yourself) is the mark of a man (yes, of course also a woman) - too many mayflies who flutter around and don't achieve anything - too few 'die hard' stick at it come what may people who actually do what they say.

So, for whatever it may be worth - BOW, RESPECT, WELL DONE.

17. Bigmikey

Well, I'm not REALLY "stuck". I paid up in full at the start. I can walk away any time I want - without a refund, mind you, but also without any sort of legal drama.

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

so for you a BB will signify closure then? fair enough but as someone who walked away from 3rd degree blackshash with no regrets because it was no longer right for me i can honestly say i wish i could have had the time back to put into what i do now ..i hope you dont regret carrying on when you knew it was not for you, but i can repsect you position :cool: