JKD unlimited

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by nasigoreng, Sep 30, 2013.

1. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

His material seems very effective and straight to the point. I especially like that he emphasizes [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1fA42Q_NEE"]sparring[/ame].

It makes sense that b/c he's based in Hawaii, he does a lot of distance training programs. but, i would think someone of his caliber would have a lot more representatives in the US and elsewhere bringing him in for seminars. (Looking at his website I see he only has one affiliate school in Italy). I'm thinking of enrolling but don't want to get duped. appreciate any feedback.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Burton is the real deal and one of the best there is.
    He is not unpopular, he is just not widespread - big difference

Anything of his is always top notch and recommended

3. MWAW

MWAW Valued Member

I think someone has a hidden agenda here. Starting a thread naming an organisation with such a negative title, but trying to wrap it up as an innocent question.

Mr Richardson is first rate, as are the students who have trained under him, many of whom have gone on to be superb instructors in their own right.

If your enquiry is genuine, then stop to think about how you phrase things. If you have an axe to grind then just grow a pair and spit it out.

4. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

I want to offer my sincerest apologies to Sifu Burton Richardson and all affiliates and representatives of Jeet Kun Do Unlimited for any implication that the reputation or character of this organization and its founder is in any way deficient.

I regret my poor choice of words. If I could take them back, I certainly would.

I am not on a headhunting mission: i have no personal agenda against Burton Richardson or JKDU. All I know of this individual is the public information available on his website, youtube vids, and a very entertaining interview he did on another FMA forum . I am impressed not just with Sifu Richardson's skill, but his candor as well - he seems like he has an open mind and is generous with his knowledge. I've praised his work in previous posts on this forum. Because I am so impressed with Sifu Richardson's manner and approach, I am considering the possibility of starting a performance group to train in his material. I understand that it will require a significant financial investment. And, distance training is never a good substitute for face to face instruction. So, my intention in starting this thread was to gather information on the JKDU performance group program so i can make a good decision for myself.

Having said that, I appreciate any feedback from current or former JKDU performance groups on advice on how to start a group.

5. Hannibal

I haven't seen the JKDU material but the Battlefield Kali distance material is great stuff - and I generally dislike that medium

6. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Great video in the OP. 7 rounds with only 1 minute breaks against fresh opponents is going to be really harsh on the lungs!

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Easy there, Michael. A bit overreactionary, that was. Nasigoreng contacted me and asked if I'd correct his mistake in titling the thread. But I think you could have afforded a little more benefit of the doubt before leaping to "I think someone has a hidden agenda."

Let's not let the internet make cynics of all of us. Agreed?

8. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

Just got around to seeing this. Used to train with Burton at the Inosanto Academy years ago. Great guy and dedicated martial artist.

But mainly I'm replying to say the OP didn't remotely seem to hinting at a hidden agenda. I think the accusation itself is completely overboard.

And to answer the OP, in my opinion most people interested in JKD go to the man who was closest to the source, Dan Inosanto. The fact that he is still teaching and giving seminars over shadows people like Richardson who, though accomplished in his own right, is still one if Dan's students.

I'm not ascribing a right or wrong to this, it's just the way most people who gravitate towards the martial arts work.

9. MWAW

MWAW Valued Member

Follow along with me here:

When you Google a martial artist, the search results that tend to score highly with the Google's natural search spiders are those on communal forums, such as MAP. Someone Google's Burton Richardson or JKD Unlimited and guess what comes up (on the first page actually, because I just did it). "Why does JKD Unlimited seem unpopular?"

Mr Richardson is a professional martial arts instructor, it's pays his bills and feeds his family, and he's been working for over thirty years to build his reputation. Someone comes on this forum and fires off a completely unsubstantiated title like that, and you have a negative connotation for your organisation stuck forever on the search engines.

Therefore my point is - stop and think about the consequences of what you are posting on the internet. If there was no hidden agenda on this occassion then no problem and I apologize. The thread was very typical of so many I have seen on forums where people are covertly trying to damage someone's reputation. Whether he meant to or not, and he seems like a nice guy so I'll take him on face value, my point stands that it was a misguided way to approach the thread. The fact that you changed the title means that you can see merit in this point.

I have seen the reputation of great teachers and people damaged on the internet, most of them are my friends and people I really respect. If I see something I don't like then I'll call someone on it, you can call it harsh if you like, but I've been around this nonsense for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

And the first sentence in that post is "his stuff seems very effective and to the point. I like that he emphasizes... "

Oh please. Burton Richardson has been in the public eye since shortly after I met him in the early 90s. He's been plastered all over YouTube for years. You don't think he knows how to handle a bit of internet criticism? Public figures deal with criticism all the time. As for feeding his family, we should all have the "problem" of feeding our families doing something we love anyway.

The fact that I changed the title reflects the fact that the OP recognized his mistake and quickly sought to correct it. Hardly the act of someone with a hidden agenda.

Please review MAP's policy on masked profanity. You're clearly aware that the word isn't allowed, since you found a way to bypass the filter. The OP engaged in critical thinking. Something Guro Richardson would heartily endorse. You need to relax and rethink how you approach this issue.

11. MWAW

MWAW Valued Member

ap Oweyn,

You and I don't know each other. I am not interested in your opinion on how I should or shouldn't approach this thread, this topic, or any discussion in any context.

What I post on here, or anywhere, and how I post it is my concern. Make observations on it, disagree with it, offer counter-arguments, disregard it, or delete it if you like. Telling me how I need to feel and how I need to approach an issue - you can jog on mate, it's a free country.

If you're unhappy about any of that then drop me a note, or you could always dig through some more of your rules and find a reason to ban me, if that makes you feel better then cool.

Have a good day.

MW

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Wrong.

He's a mod, deal with it and stop whinging.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I offered a perfectly civil request for you to tone it down a bit. If you're disinclined to do so, we'll see where it leads. You broke a rule. You got called on it by a mod. Live with it.

14. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I've rolled with some of his JKDU guys in Portugal and they certainly had skills.

15. MWAW

MWAW Valued Member

You know that's not what I'm referring to, don't try to change the context by changing the content. We have an audience here and you're playing this conversation to make you out to be the good guy and me out to be the bad guy. You don't have to talk to me like a child because you're an internet moderator, just talk to me like an adult.

I didn't realise that you couldn't type the word that I typed on this forum, you removed it and made me aware of that. No problem at all, I hadn't read your rules so my bad, but as you know that's not what I am referring to.

I am referring to the fact that you told me that I needed to relax and I needed to re-think my approach to the issue. I don't appreciate being told how to feel or how to think, by anyone, but especially someone who is talking to me like they hold some kind of authority over me. That's just who I am, and unlike most on the internet I don't hide behind a false name and a manufactured personality, I'm just myself. That's my point, plain and simple, I don't think I can make it any clearer.

I come on here once in a while when I'm killing time on my keyboard. It's your forum so if you don't like my posts then do what you need to do. No problem.

MW

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I see. So... You want the right to say that someone else has a hidden agenda. You have that right. No worries. You want a consequence-free environment, that's a different matter. You expressed your opinion on nasigoreng's choice of a title. I expressed mine on your response. That's the nature of discussion forums.

I'm unclear on how I could possible tell you how to feel or think. I told you I thought you were jumping to conclusions. There's an important distinction to be made there. You can't, on the one hand, presume to tell nasigoreng what he actually meant by his inquiry AND then get sore with me because I had the audacity to "tell you how you feel."

Now, I'm happy to chalk this up to a convergence of misunderstandings and apologize for my part in it. I'm not looking for a grudge match. But there are plenty of yahoos out there who actually DO have an agenda regarding JKD without manufacturing new ones prematurely. Agreed on that much?

It's not MY forum, Michael. I'm a topic moderator. That's not the highest rank of moderator here. I don't own the forum or write the rules. I enforce them as I come across infractions.

All of that said, you mentioned we have an audience. If anyone feels I've been unfair or out of line, I'm glad to hear as much.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  17. MWAW

MWAW Valued Member

Cool. I apologise for my part in any misunderstandings.

You haven't been out of line, we've had a difference of opinion. You'll find nothing but support for your actions on the forum as you're clearly very well thought of on here. I have a very clear point of view, most of the time it is unpopular, if I was bothered by that then I wouldn't be a much of JKD man.

Good talking to you.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Likewise.

To be clear, I'm a fan of Burton myself. Only met him once. Many years ago, before he was THE Burton Richardson. We were next to each other in line to compete in the sayaw division at a WEKAF tournament in San Francisco. Seemed like a really nice bloke. Besides, I'm an ardent believer in Guro Dan's approach to... most everything really.

19. Hannibal

Oi you two...this is the JKD forum. Agreement and accord is not permitted here.

If you want to play nicely go over to the karate forum

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I wouldn't worry, they're concepts agreement, not original agreement.

It's not how Bruce would have done it. :D