JKD - True JKD is - "Like White On Rice!"

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by JeetKuneDero, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I think Stuart has summed up my position. As an aside, I remain unimpressed.

2. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

This is chock full of fail. =\

3. TheForbiddenOne

TheForbiddenOne Banned Banned

JeetKuneDeros views are pathetic. He is cool though.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

To be crystal clear, I didn't say what I said in order to dogpile JeetKuneDero. I'm finding fault with a statement. Not a person. I have nothing, personally, against the poster himself.

Stuart

5. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

petty bickering makes me love the JKD community!

6. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

has any of you have any idea how hard this thread is for someone who's native tongue aint english :O

7. jkder

jkder Valued Member

I'm with ya there. lol I left this one for a few days an its blown up. I may be new but but most of the JKD threads have been like this. Everyone seems to be focused more on there english skills rather than JKD. There were some good points raised in here only everyone had contradicted each other after these points were raised so where does it leave us?

Hope I made my point. :)

8. jkder

jkder Valued Member

I can imagine mate. English is my 1st an only language an I still find it hard to figgure alot of these posts out. Well its hard to keep up with these philosophical terms an out spoken english words. There are some well educated people here.

9. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

Actually I have considered that, as I am fluently bilingual and often note the pitfalls people struggling between languages often face.

It can be rather funny (if not frustrating) when people who believe they are speaking the same language don't always have the same meanings in mind - LOL!

Recently, I went to see an old friend's at his place of employment. I had not seen him in a while. He was not around and the office looked different. A person with a thick accent told me "he's not here." When I asked when he'd be back, the person again replied, "he's not here, he's gone." When I asked, "do you mean he's gone for the day, he stepped out, he's no longer works here - what?," this person raised his voice - "he's gone, he's not here -what, don't you speak English!" When I said to him, 'you mean he no longer works here, don't you?," he exclaimed "That's what I said!"

In his mind, he'd been clear. In his mind he'd even raised his voice - that silly habit of people; attempting to solve an issue of clarity not by using the details they are obviously leaving out but by raising their voice!

Anyway, if there was any specific thing I wrote which was hard to understand. Let me know what that was and I will try to be clearer on it. Thanks.

10. WindyPhilosoph

WindyPhilosoph WHOOSH!!! ...that is all.

I suppose your main problem is that you over complicate the simple. For that, I refer you to Bruce Lee's Finger pointing at the moon speech.

11. JeetKuneDero

Thanks for your perspective, really.

Still, no, thats not my "problem" at all. You're guilty there, of "the simple," as much as I am of the detailed.

I try not ot take "the simple" for granted. As a result, I dissect it:

"Understand the root and you'll understand all its branches" - Bruce Lee

How many thousands of notes did Lee leave behind doing the very same thing? Dissecting the various parts contributing to a whole and in their own context? How many notes did Einstein, Freud, Socrates and so on leave behind wherein they too did just that?

My "problem" has been that I have shared that dissecting here and some, in their focus on the "simple," again, thanks to an educational system sorely lacking in the teaching of the science of conscious deduction/induction, have taken my writing as arrogance, as being too philosophical, complicated, or whatever. Is it any wonder people don't get along?

But then again, you're addressing a guy who, once, when as a kid I accidentally cut a gash in my leg, later, as the doctor stitched me up, I sat there transfixed not only at my own reactions but at how the doctor was doing what he was doing as I spoke with him about it to his amusement.

No, not my "problem" at all. Certainly, not my loss. Besides, one thing I've learned in life is that if you're not going to be understood or welcome by some, it's best to get that out of the way as soon as possible.

If anything, my sharing of my dissecting of things has given me that benefit with some here. I'd not wanted that but it has given me that unexpected bonus. They've reacted as they have and now I don't have to deal with them further. Not a bad bargain, believe me.

Again, WindyPhilosoph, thank you for your feedback. Sincerely...

"Understand the root and you'll understand all its branches" - Bruce Lee

12. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Nope. If you're the one doing the posting, the onus is on you to be understood. Saying that someone else is "guilty" of misunderstanding you is sherking your responsibility as a writer. It's trying to put the blame on someone else for your own shortcomings. Man up, take responsibility, and post clearly. Otherwise, posting something only you "understand" is done only for your personal gratification.

13. JeetKuneDero

Post clearly? In short, and if you will, some will see the bottle as half empty. Others as half full. No amount of "responsibility" on either side's part will ever change that in some.

I wrote, to Windy, "You're guilty there, of "the simple," as much as I am of the detailed," yet you could not see my having taken responsibility for my end, for whatever reason. It is what it is. Peace.

14. TheForbiddenOne

TheForbiddenOne Banned Banned

Hey! You better do as the mod says, give him some respect. Or Ill kick you out.

15. WindyPhilosoph

I wrote two sentences saying you complicate things too much. You've written several paragraphs, somehow rambling on to the subject of how you chopped your leg up as a kid.

I'm sorry, but you do tend to complicate things. It's often much better to have simple, short, sweet yes or no answers. You are missing out on all the heavenly glory of the moon by examining the exact direction, fingernail length, bone structure, and level of dead skin cells of the finger pointing at it.

16. JeetKuneDero

Takuan took over 40 pages to describe "The Unfettered Mind."

Bruce Lee once noted, "Lao-Tzu is supposed to have said - He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know - however, he himself (Lao-Tzu) wrote five thousand words to explain his doctrine."

How many years of pondering and dissecting and training did it take Lee before he could simplify things to "don't concentrate on the finger."

Twice you've quoted Lee on that to make your point - a man who was so detailed he even used individual finger and jaw weights.

Fact is, the simple only appears simple. Lee was the first to admit that. Peace.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

But I doubt that either Laozi or Zhuangzi would have said that what they wrote in either the Daodejing or Zhuangzi reflected the "true Dao." And I expect Lee would have said the same thing about sayings like "drinking tea from an empty cup" (which is, itself, a metaphor that was around long before Lee started using it).

I'd be interested to know whether there was a big difference in Lee's delivery to his students versus his presentation when public awareness was the objective. In other words, was he more "philosophical" and more prone to heady metaphors when he was trying to make an impression on an uninitiated audience, like viewers of the talk shows? (That's rhetorical. Unless someone actually happens to know.)

Personally, I chalk up a lot of the metaphor to Lee being a product of the 50s and 60s. Not to a belief that such metaphors are essential in some way.

I think it's possible to have an internalized understanding of Lee's meaning without using or even thinking much of the prose that he used in his notes.

Besides, Laozi was writing poetry. Same with Zhuangzi. Not just a straight-text explanation of Daoism.

Stuart

18. JeetKuneDero

Hey ap, JKD is like brown rice. Forgot that detail - hah!

19. WindyPhilosoph

Lifting weights and having a conversation are two different things. Can you just reply without digressing so much? It's a simple request. Yet, odds are, you will reply to this with another long winded essay, quoting your life's story and several authors, ultimately not making much sense.

20. JeetKuneDero

Probably.

Wow - I'm so proud of myself!