JKD - True JKD is - "Like White On Rice!"

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by JeetKuneDero, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

lol wut?

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

When adrenaline takes over just make sure the water is not running down your leg. It works both ways.

regards koyo

3. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

LOL @Koyo. =)

4. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

This thing is getting funny. Reminds me of what must've gone through that guys head at the end of that Longstreet episode I began this thread with.

In it, right after Longstreet, who is blind, defeats the bully, some one exclaims, "Hey, where'd you learn how to fight like that!" Smiling, Longstreet replies, "From drinking tea out of an empty cup." God, I just love that line!

5. Yohan

Yohan is not impressed.

6. JeetKuneDero

Yet, Yohan has responded. Perhaps Yohan is unaware that one cannot not be impressed. Even if that impression is one not in favor, an impresssion has taken place. Still, don't wish to make Yohan out a liar. Best to ignore Yohan. Wish Yohan well. To wish Yohan a speedy recovery from Yohan's own unawareness and all that.

7. WindyPhilosoph

WindyPhilosoph WHOOSH!!! ...that is all.

lol koyo. Just lol.

8. Yohan

Zen requires that you empty the mind, not fill it with esoteric ramblings.

9. JeetKuneDero

Alright, I'll begin ignoring you after this one. Doesn't seem right with the universe to leave you so mis-guided. After this, you're on your own. It has to be that way.

Okay, here is your last fortune cookie:

Unless you just wake up one day, your mind "empty," it is "esoteric ramblings" about Zen, and about it "requiring" you empty the mind which leads you to that very pursuit.

In other words, you're off on this one Yohan - not only does Zen not require this - for it requires nothing - but the emptiness it is referring to is not actual emptiness but non-detachment. Non-detachment not even to Zen's own ramblings.

You're on your own. After this, if you need to, just find yourself a pebble somewhere - one of those black shiny ones - and just snatch it from your other hand as you declare, "I have learned."

10. WindyPhilosoph

Dero, you are making no sense. You are two, no... three kinds of crazy.

11. JeetKuneDero

Dero, hmm. You know Hot Air, I mean, WindyPhilosph, I like that. Oh, and thanks for your valid observation.

Dero

12. WindyPhilosoph

The one who posts several paragraphs of nonsense calling the one who has barely posted Hot Air...?

Four kinds of crazy, Dero. And one kind of hypocrite.

13. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Boys, play nice.

Back on topic. Whatever it was.

14. WindyPhilosoph

:hail:

We'll be good...

15. JeetKuneDero

Callsignfuzzy, true, the waters have taken a turn and become a bit muddied, but flowing nonetheless. In a sense, just another illustration of the point of this thread, of what "be like water" is.

WindyPhilosoph you called me a bit crazy. I mis-read your intent as just ribbing, had no problem with that and was merely "flowing," ribbing you back. Your true intent, hostility, is duely noted. And, as with water, which merely adjusts, moves on, from hereon ignored.

Dero

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

See, I think this illustrates one of my big problems with martial arts in general. And with debate in general, come to that. This is a case of being "overclever." Everyone knows what "not impressed" means. And everyone knows that everyone knows what "not impressed" means. But because we're capable of dissecting a statement and pedantically analyzing it, all of a sudden it becomes insufficient to just say "I'm not impressed."

Now, we need some overly complex way of expressing a perfectly simple point. Do we really wish for a conversation in which we need to say things like "that statement has made only a marginal impression on me and, even then, not a favourable one." When we could just say "I'm not impressed" and been perfectly understandable to anyone except someone willingly trying not to get it.

Pedantry isn't wisdom. And it's perfectly okay not to be impressed with that sort of philosophical statement (and to say as much) without being told you "don't get it."

I get it. And I don't think much of it either, quite honestly. (And I know we could have a field day with "I don't think much of it.")

I think we can probably muster up enough mutual respect to accept that people have differing views. Without assuming they "don't get it."

Stuart

17. TheForbiddenOne

TheForbiddenOne Banned Banned

Thats exactly what I was gonna say.

When you are being water, once you spill its over. Water never gets up.

18. JeetKuneDero

Had to start this back up, didn't you?

And from someone who signs-off "The map is not the territory."

Suddenly, the map ("I'm not impressed") is the territory? Suddenly - on a JKD site, no less - preconceived meanings not only reign but across the board and for "everyone."

Explains why you never quoted that in it's entirety - "The map is not the territory it represents." You migh want to go back and re-study the science which hold to that "map" phrase.

All everyone has is a better chance of maybe agreeing on what "I'm not impressed" means, and that much in the context in which it was used.

Tell ya what, lets let it represent what you and your "everyone" have decided it represents and be done with it. Your mistake in this will educate you later anyway. Hopefully, not expensively. The best to you. I mean this - the best to you. Peace.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's a thread about JKD philosophy. I'm addressing a problem I have with JKD philosophy. What's the problem?

I didn't forget anything. I've never heard the full saying. Just quoting a very influential teacher. Though I don't see how the addition of those two words changes the meaning any.

Assuming, for a moment, that my signature line has anything to do with the current conversation: The saying suggests that there's theory and then the reality as people actually experience it. In this case, the theory is that the definition of "impression" can be debated. The reality as people experience it is that "I'm not impressed" is pretty clearly understood.

Unless, of course, you're telling me that people frequently use that phrasing NOT to denote being disfavourably struck by something but INSTEAD to denote being unfazed by it at all. How many people do you know who use the phrase that way? I don't know any. So are we suggesting that they're just using it wrong?

At what point does this level of distinction fail to carry any useful meaning?

Seriously, hypothesize for me how this is ever going to come back to haunt me.

Yohan expressed a disdain for philosophical vagary. So what? So he doesn't dig metaphors about tea cups. I don't either. And I don't think anyone is really required to in order to "get" JKD.

Stuart

20. TheForbiddenOne

TheForbiddenOne Banned Banned

HOLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Jeetkunedero is cool!!!

Ooops, sorry for going off topic there. So ya...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008