JKD Straight blast??

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by TkdWarrior, Oct 11, 2002.

1. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm i hav heard so much about JKD straight blast... wat i think it's flurry of punches n low kicks??rite...correct me if i m wrong...
    or mind giving me an example of Blast...
    Thnx.
    -TkdWarrior-

2. HKD

HKD New Member

what TKD do U train?
    WTF or ITF
    HKD

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

ITF sir...practicing from last 3.5 yrs...
    before that MT(2.5 yrs)
    currently i m doing TKD and tai-chi
    can i expect my question answered now??...
    thnx
    -TkdWarrior-

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Blast

Hi

The stright blast is a series of straight punches thrown consecutively down centreline to occupy it and deliver a rapid blast of strikes.

The original method comes from Wing Chun and has the punch going out from in front of the chest in a direct line to the target, then retracting in a slight arc downwards to leave just enough room for the next punch to travel down centreline. Power comes from forward pressure by bodyweigth rushing in combined with elbow & wrist power as the wrist abducts at the end of each strike (the punches are thrown vertical fist - thumb on top).

There are several schools of thought when it comes to footwork to accompany the straight blast but they all agree on one thing - strong forward pressure. The two primary methods are to either slide step, often one step for every three punches, or to just sprint right at the opponent blasting punches.

That's a brief overview.

5. morphus

morphus Doobrey

YODA -advice please?

I've started collecting Bruce lee's fighting method books, i've got up to vol' 3.

I like them a lot but i wondered what YODA thinks of them?

Is there anything you would advise i take from them in particular.

Is there any other books you'd recommend.( i have tao of Jeet Kune Do and a couple of bio's) - i'm really after instructional manuals.

Cheers!

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi Morphus

I find the fighting method books to eb of very limited value to my training and understanding of Jun Fan (What Bruce Lee actually taught).

I would recommend two books to you...

1. Commentaries on the Martial Way (John Little)

2. The Jun Fan JKD Textbook (Chris Kent & Tim Tacket)

7. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Thank you Master Yoda:D

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

thnx yoda for ur input...
    -TkdWarrior-

9. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

TkdWarrior are the same guy from Martial Talk???

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

yup Acekicken, same as budoseek, n Dragonslist... :D
    -TkdWarrior-

11. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Cool:D A name i reconise

12. Stickgrappler

Stickgrappler Valued Member

there is a way that seems to be promoted by Burton Richardson and maybe some of the Straight Blast Gym people, which is called the boxing blast. it's almost the same as the straight blast (jik chung chuie) but also different. essentially you want to do a boxing cross with each step, i.e., if you step with your right foot forward, you cross with your left fist, and when you step with your left foot forward you do a right cross.

some people cite the vitor belfort vs. silva as an example of the boxing blast.

13. Morne

Morne Valued Member

Good reply Yoda!
    You are certainly correct about the boxers blast Stickgrappler. This kind of blast tends to add that extra bit of power than the blast Yoday described. It is becoming more and more popular in the NHB/Vale Tudo/UFC scene. I am speaking under correction as this was a rumour i heard but i think one of the Gracies also used the Boxers blast to enter into the clinch range in their last fight - Pride i think ?

Enjoy.
    Morné
    www.jkdu.co.za

14. AndyD

AndyD Valued Member

The boxing straight blast brings with it the problems of rotation. When you throw each one of those punches the body structure is weak and you have to un-rotate to hit with the next punch. This gives someone who understands trapping what they need to trap your arm into you, taking your side and disrupting your balance; basically making life very difficult. The common thing to happen in the NHB arena (due to the prevailance of grappling) is to use the beat given by that rotation to shoot in and take a leg.

The wing chun straight blast is designed to have what is known as '2 guns facing' i,e. you do not have to rotate the hips to reach the target. This makes it a lot harder for your opponent to trap or shoot in on as you never expose one side to him and the time taken between each punch is considerably less. Because the fists are vertical the elbows are lower than the boxing blast which adds to the users ability to trap (e.g. wedging into your opponents arms as he tries to punch) as well as to help defend against a shoot from your opponent. As Yoda points out footwork varies between schools. In my experience footwork is extrememly important but very neglected - some intructors simply advocating running at your opponent.

Andy

15. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member