JkD question

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by PFJD, Apr 15, 2013.

1. PFJD

PFJD New Member

Hello i,m new to the forum and wanted to ask the following question
    I,ve had a long standing passing interest in jeet Kune do . Any one validate how effective an art it is . Thinking of joining Bob breens academy .
    I've a back ground in boxing and mma

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Don't question, don't wait and don't worry, just get to Bob's class.

On a serious note JKD (I am biased) is effective, but really only as good as the effort you put in.

Bob is a super nice guy and hugely experienced.

You'll do well to find better in this country.

3. PFJD

PFJD New Member

Ha ha , yep I know the best answer is to always jump in and see.
    I'm going along on Monday . It's been a while sinse I've started a new martial art ,pretty excited about it. Just thought I'd get a little feed back too .
    Thanks for the reply bud

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Bob has an exceptional reputation. I have not trained with im myself but know many that have and he is recommended wholeheartedly

5. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I contacted a local guy here about JKD to take along with my CH. The guy seems like a very nice guy and was very informative about the art. He was also telling me i'd get this little card like Bruce Lee used to give his students. That sort of turned me off to it. I don't care about a card... I don't care about belts. I care that my technique is as it should be, and that I have a good teacher. Does anyone know of a good teacher in the Delaware area?

6. Saved_in_Blood

7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Just because the guy offered you a piece of kiddie candy marketing you're not interested in is not really a good reason to write him off. I'd at least check him out - don't want to discard the baby along with the bathwater and all. Not like you were guaranteed a BB in a year or something awful like that.

8. Hannibal

He is PFS affiliated so you will be doing the base system that I teach. I don't know him personally but give it a go and don't let the minutae of little cards put you off

9. Saved_in_Blood

oh no, this was a different guy, not the same as this site. I was just wondering since this one is a bit closer to me. The other guy was a nice guy, very informative. He teaches out of his home and offers discounts for referrels that get him more students.

This particular one is about... 20 minutes closer I would say. With the rising prices of gas, and in Md about to go up .20 per gallon due to the "gas tax" I just want to try to find the best school for the distance if you know what I mean.

10. Hannibal

Then go with the PFS affiliate....but then I would say that wouldn't I? :)

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Look at the videos page, Freddie Mercury is a student! Get along there now!

The MMA Training looks, erm, interesting :)

Mitch

12. Saved_in_Blood

I don't know what PFS is?

13. PFJD

PFJD New Member

Coming from a competitive ma back ground alarm bells would be ringing , if im being honest here I wouldn't touch it with a bardge poll if I was offered gimmicks , but I'm blessed here in London with options. That said I'm not an authority, after an indepth search on map on jkd Hannibal certainly is. So take his advise.
    Me personally
    I'm caught in dilemma I'm 35 and with injuries , heart wants another run at competing and still training mma , head is saying give it up and keep to competing grappling and explore jkd...... Getting old is daffodils....... On hold for two more days even my mrs is telling me to man up and make a decision . An y traing decision can be big . My advise is do as Hannibal says, give it a go

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2013
  14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Just a friendly reminder about the rules on profanity PFJD :)

Please don't type anything the swear filter will pick up, and please don't type the asterisks yourself either.

Mitch :)

15. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah, i'll contact them and see what they have to say. I'll let you guys know. Thanks for the info... sorry about hijacking your thread OP.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2013
  16. PFJD

PFJD New Member

Eeek sorry noted, won't happen again

17. PFJD

PFJD New Member

Have no problem with you hijacking thread mate, in truth It's informative to me the more I hear about jkd so it's all good. I'm glad you did ! Keep us posted how you get on

18. Hannibal

Progressive Fighting Systems. Although no longer with then we share a lot if the same core syllabus/approach

Www.fighting.net is the home site, although the instructor
    Isn't listed as a DOM affiliate

19. Saved_in_Blood

ahh I see

20. Saved_in_Blood

this is what another site says... anyone heard of this guy?

"Learn from a 3rd Generation student of Bruce Lee’s. Learn the JKD curriculum as BRUCE LEE taught it in his own schools in Oakland, Seattle and Los Angeles.

Located in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware (right off Route 1), Jeet Kune Do of Delaware emphasizes one on one personal training as well as small group classes. Keeping to the spirit of Bruce Lee’s backyard training sessions, Dan trains his students from a training hall he has set up in his own home. Classes are kept small and intimate to allow each student’s strengths and weaknesses to be addressed.

Jeet Kune Do of Delaware also offers separate physical conditioning classes that utilize the kettlebell. A complete warrior is one who constantly tunes his mind, spirit AND body. A good workout routine is necessary for general health and mental focus as well as maximizing combative potential. Bruce Lee is the epitome of this. And nothing does it better than a Kettlebell!

There are many out there that claim what they are teaching is Jeet Kune Do, but unless their lineage can be traced back to Bruce Lee himself it is difficult to assess whether or not it is authentic Jeet Kune Do. Dan is a 3rd generation student of Bruce Lee’s and his lineage can be traced:
    Bruce Lee > Gary Dill > Rain Burgess > Dan Sorber
    Dan’s own teacher learned directly from one of Bruce’s students. Why is lineage important? It is a bloodline. It helps to prove that what is being taught is really JKD as laid out by Bruce Lee."