JKD Modified Hook

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by JeetKuneDero, Mar 10, 2009.

1. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXl-OabaDBs"]YouTube - JKD Modified Hook Kick[/ame]

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That was much better than I expected. Quick. Hit hard. Good stuff.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

That is solid. We use that kick lots - mostly as a shot to the lead leg. I wouldn't really use it to the body, but then I don't typically advocate using body kicks unless you can get the person to turn their side to you.

Mostly use that shot as a set up and not a damaging shot. I like to stay out or range, use that kick to **** them off, then clock them with the cross when they come in.

4. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

fantastic. good power, great speed, quick recovery. looks kinda like my switch kick that i use for mid-lower line.

5. Yohan

My initial thought when he does the kick was that he was doing a switch kick, but he doesn't switch his feet, just brings up the bag leg and kicks.

6. february

february Valued Member

Hmmm....maybe "original" flavour JKD isn't so bad after all, eh fellas? ;)

7. Yohan

??

I don't understand. Was there the implication that there was something bad about "original" flavour JKD (as you say)?

8. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

that he does. the switch kick i practice doesn't actually switch. in fact the front foot only moves back about 1" or less before it fires. same energy as a switch, just minimal movement. hard to do, and i still suck at it. lol

9. february

february Valued Member

No Yohan, it was just a cheerful ribbing as both you (I believe) and DaeHan are concept boys. No hidden agenda mate. :cool:

10. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

heck, i've always had fun with it and respect it. OJKD is an excellent foundation for any martial artist. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  11. february

february Valued Member

No doubt bro, no doubt.

12. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

I believe Yohan is of the SBG variety. Concepts are too old fashioned for that crew.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  13. Yohan

Phew! Thought I had missed something!

Seriously though, that guys got a hard roundhouse kick. I want to see his foot fighting stuff.

14. february

february Valued Member

Lol, the original boys must be positively backward then! :hat:

Well, there hasn't been much drama here on the JKD forum for a while!

I believe the guy in the vid is Louie Berard from Tim Tackett and Bob Bremer's Wednesday Night JKD group. I don't know any of them personally, but their stuff is good (what they call "old School") JKD and a good representation of "Bruce Lee's" JKD (not your usual tippy-tap slap happy trapping stuff). Here is their Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jkdwng

Some interesting stuff on there.

15. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Cool, I'll check out that link when I get home.

16. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

if you want drama...someone could start a thread called. "is Grappling part of your JKD curriculum?" :hat:

17. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

Please, no drama, lets just enjoy the "JKD Modified" hook.

Or was that a "JKD Hook" modified - LOL

18. Stevie Bhoy

Stevie Bhoy Valued Member

Correct me if im wrong, but is a kick not just a kick? :)

19. february

february Valued Member

Lol. No thank you, I don't fancy worms for dinner - that's one can that can stay closed! :)

I'm with you on that Stevie, in the vid I feel Louie is making too much of an effort to create a distinction between what, in reality is just lifting your leg at slightly different angle. If anything, it's just a variation of a tool.

20. Yohan

My opinion on this topic can be boiled down into one sentence:

That guy has a good roundhouse.