JKD Lineage

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by mdgee, Oct 17, 2014.

1. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Hannibal, yes, you're right. It is the Bruce Lee foundation. It is they who I contacted and they did inform me rather quickly to avoid the same place that were claiming they are certified to teach. This actually reminded me of when I was weeding out Krav Maga schools. I had gone to this one school to meet the instructor and take a tour. I felt a sales pitch, which I don't like, and I exited stage left right quickly. The BB virtually chased me out to the parking lot. We chatted honestly and I told him I had one other school to check out that I had found online. Without missing a beat he mentioned the exact school. Seems that other school had gotten into the habit of selling belts. We all know what those schools are called. Anyway, the U.S. Krav Maga Foundation, or what ever they are called, revoked their certification. What did that school do? They contacted the International KM Foundation and became an approved school. Seems the IKMF wasn't so picky about that school selling certs. See my point now?

As I said, that original school gave me an uneasy feeling from chatting with them, their videos, and a few other things I couldn't put my finger on. When a school tries to provide too many, different martial arts I get worried. Especially when the school is run by two young people who can't be experts in all of these martial arts that they claim to be. Sure, you can be proficient in Judo, Karate, and a few other martial arts but when you try to toss in JKD, Jiu Jitsu, Kali and a bunch of others it makes me question your integrity. Especially when you don't list any other instructors besides yourself.

Anyway, while I take everything with a grain of salt, I did understand where the JKD school was coming from. Oh, and I'm not real happy about Shannon and her leadership. It's all about money where she's concerned. She doesn't really care about JKD, just the money and fame it brings her since she couldn't make it as an actor.