JKD in Stoke on Trent?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Lozzy123, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Lozzy123

Lozzy123 New Member

Hi,

I remember there being a JKD class in Stoke, I think Tunstall, but I can't find their website. Does anyone here happen to know about them, if the classes are still running and a contact number?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

3. Lozzy123

Lozzy123 New Member

Thank you! :)

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Sadly Dave Carnell did pass away this year from Cancer.

Edit. I'd contact Kwoklyn to see if any of his guys are in that area.

http://www.urbanmartialarts.com/#!bruce-lees-kungfu/c1yws

I'll send him a message via Twitter.

Edit. Done. Check out the Twitter feed on the homepage to see the Tweet.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  5. Lozzy123

Lozzy123 New Member

Sad to see the senior instructor passed away. But thank you for the help, it looks like there's even a class on tonight so I'll try and make it

6. Simon

Cool. Please let us know how it goes.

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I trained there in the late 90s. No idea what it's like now, but it was a good school. I believe Simon McGovern takes the classes these days and you're in good hands there; great teacher and nice bloke.

My mate does BJJ there and is very happy with the place.

I've been to a fair few martial arts schools both in the UK and abroad. I can honestly say impact is one of the best I've been to, I really miss the place at times.

I'd love to hear how you get on there.

8. Simon

9. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

A bit of an old post but I've only just seen this. I train BJJ under Simon and can vouch for the quality of coaching. Absolutely top notch. Get in touch with Simon or come along. The gym's just moved to Roundwell Street but still in Tunstall.

10. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

On tuesday night my 34th birthday i was searching for dave carnell impact because i'm looking to get back into jkd after a 17 year break. I went with my father in 97 to 98.

And then i found out dave had passed away, i was completley gutted, i went primary school with his son lee carnell.

I tried to find simon mcgovern acadamy on wardle street tunstall but thats closed, i did go around to roundwell street but i couldn't find anything.

I hope simons not closed it all.

You guys have any info where he's gone.

Best regards james

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

You must have been there the same time as me!

Check through this thread for links to Simons place.

12. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

We trained in the room on the right by the windows, infront of the wooden dummys.. We use to train next to two guys the smaller guy gave up and stopped coming..

I went to si's place but thats closed / for sale and so is daves place.

I've emailled nigel tropman to see if he knows.

I remember a woman from hartshill broke her nose at impact.

I hope your well.

13. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

It's still open and is on Roundwell St, Old Court House. Look for the dance studio under the arch, through the courtyard to black door in corner.

I'm currently training BJJ there. Classes are:

Mon: 6:30 BJJ nogi
    Tue: 6:30 Thai, 7:30 BJJ
    Thur: 6:30 BJJ, 7:30 Thai, 8:30 Kali

I'm there on Mon. See you there!

14. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

Thank you stevep.:) I had a reply from nigel tropman he's such a great guy, such a pleasure to communicate with

I drove passed there and i thought there was something with that building,
    kind of like something was telling me.:cool:

I'll have to call in and have a chat to simon.

I'm 6'1" 16 stone (don't look it) and have long hair and a beard.:cool: kind of like jackson from bloodsport
    Jkd warrior:)

I really need to get back to 13&1/2 to 14 stone, i'm starting to dislike how i feel my legs slightly bigger etc, all the stress of my business has reached event horizon and is affecting my health..

I think jkd will get me back to normal.

The more i think about it, the more i loved impact, i'm kicking myself for not going back sooner and for not knowing about dave. A birthday supprise alright:eek:, i thought it was a mistake..
    I'll try to personally thank you.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  15. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Get yourself down there. There's a really good group training there, all top lads and lasses. I'll look out for you. I'll probably be in blue gi bottoms and black Venom rash guard on Mon. I'll come say hi if I see you.

16. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

Is the jkd a seperate class than the bjj, as in 2 groups in same room?

17. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

There's no specific JKD class on at the moment. It's BJJ, Thai, Kali all under Simon's Strike, Clinch, Grapple.

18. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

I visited simon in october watched a few lessons, and havent been back since:eek:

Well i attended the kali session but it was cancelled si wasn't their dan ran the 2nd hour of striking..

I'm in the process of renovating and selling house so this is why i've not been back, I missed a jkd workshop :bang:

Hopefully he'l get a jkd session running again (we all secretly know jkd is the best :p).

19. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

Tired overworked & fed up.

20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Sleep more, rearrange your commitments, and get thee to training, don't just watch, actually train!