jkd in k1

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by JKD_forever, Apr 17, 2005.

1. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

someone give me a gun...to use on myself.

2. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

agree john.
    that what i said to other people that jkd can be mma,but can be alot more stuff has well.can be street fighting,can be used in life as well

3. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Whats with all the damn elipses?!? It seems that they are the in-thing at the minute but its a pain to read because I keep imagining the person pausing for dramatic effect almost every sentence! Now Im all for elipses when and where they are appropriate but adding dots inbetween most sentences does not make points any more valid but it does make the poster look like he is trying to be a mystical sage. So please leave the elipses alone or at least try to use them in moderation!

Anyway, I think you all need to give a bit more credit to competitive fighters as a lot of people in this discussion seem to be assuming that because people train for a sporting competition they are incapable of fighting outside a specific ruleset. This is patently ridiculous and it also assumes that ring fighters don't learn anything that they can't use in a ring which from my experience is not correct. The fact is knee breaks and arm breaks etc. are all good in theory but to be honest I think alot of people underestimate the power and skill required to pull of such things. If I was betting on the kind of people who would be in the best position to perform such moves effectively Im afraid Id have to pick ring fighters. Now don't get me wrong Im not suggesting that fighting in the ring is the only way to improve in martial arts and I am well aware that there are a lot of capable martial artists who have never gone anywhere near a ring but all Im trying to illustrate is that people seem intent on creating a concrete division between fighting ability in a ring and fighting ability outside of it when in fact no such barrier exists.

Also for people harking back to the old glory days of the ruleless UFC what do you think would happen if one of the top fighters from now were able to go back in time and enter the competition? In my opinion even if they stuck to their ruleset they would still destroy most of the competitors back then who were trying to use throat shots and groin kicks. Granted this is a hypothetical situation but I think most people would agree that is the likely outcome and as such doesn't that give some indication that hard training > is more important than > intimate knowledge of the bodies pressure points?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  4. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

I agree about Simplicitys way of writing... it's a real pain in the **** to read, iff he writes long posts I generally give up halfway through...

And yeah of course the top K-1 fighters could kick **** outside the ring, you would'nt see me for dust. :D

5. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

all this stuff about jkd being more about life than mma is what some in the UK call bullocks. As long as someone has a brain, they can transfer whatever it is from their favorite activity into the avenues of life. Again, it's all up to the individual who has a brain to see that. It's like saying that martial arts is a greater metaphor for life compared to basketball and football.

6. walk

walk New Member

Please!!!...dont...shoot....yourself...Faster Than You...It will be OK.......I for one... agree with Simplicity....Learn from him......he knows his stuff.....and I like the writing style...At least it is different...Lighten up man...It is not that serious.... :)

I think the world would be a more interesting place with you in it! -Hannibal Lecter

7. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Elipses... that serve no function... make people... sound like William... Shatner!

8. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Yes continued punches to the head especcially at full pelt and bladed areas will often cause damage to the hands, which is why MMA does open hand strikes, clinch and all the other stuff that you all know.

As for me being on a journey of discovery I feel its more a case the past 10 years were. Most recently I found the right path and have been going down it for about 4 years which was RBSD and MMA.

JKD is alive is a statement that is a hard one to prove as everyone seems to be doing there own thing and so far nobody can give me an idea on what the core techniques are which means there is no real quality control.

Dislocation of joints - yes happen in MMA
    Broken knee cap or legs - again in any combat sport
    Broken fingers and hand or arms - more a TMA thing the fingers but anyone can do them
    The neck snap - TMA clubs say this is a neck break as well but not often are they taken seriously. MMA clubs can do this as well.

What are the core techniques of JKD - anyone know?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  9. tel

bollocks? well martial arts is a way of life,football to some people is a way of life.and some poeple jkd is use in everyday life.where is the bollocks in that?

10. Richdog

the "core techniques" of JKD concepts are Boxing, Muay Thai, FMA and BJJ. Then whatever you want to add onto that.

The core techniques of Jun Fan are the ones that Bruce Lee marked out in his lifetime.

All easily available information. :)

Yeah but the point is that in MMA you are not INTENDING to break bones, dislocate things and shatter knee-caps. It is a sport... if these things happen it is unintentional and the result of accident...

You're not trying to do the guy max damage, you're trying to K.O him fairly cleanly with kick or punch, or submit him...

The quality control thing is the same as with any art, there are good teachers and bogus ones... and the point with JKD is that just because a school does not adhere to the same techniques that doesn not mean the quality is any less. The whole philosophy of JKD is to avoid standardisation therefore stagnancy...

Wasn't this said earlier in the thread though? :)

Rich.

11. tel

the core techniques or base system of jkd concept is jun fan,with kali taught along side it,from there can use elements of other arts to improve your own jkd or apply the concept to other arts

12. Richdog

Jun Fan incorporates WC elements such as vertical punching though doesn't it? In my JKD WC is pretty much non-existent... the punches are boxing punches... the only WC principles present are centerline protection... that's about it really. :)

Or am I thinking of Jun Fan Gung Fu? I may be mistaken, but as far as I knew there were two seperate JKD camps... the "conceopts" guys and the Jun Fan... :)

13. tel

jun fan has a mix of wc and boxing punches.with the wc used in classes,d epends on instructor.
    ojkd is the stuff up til BL death and using the concept to appy to that and the jkdc is the bl stuff and using the concept the same way but using different arts as well

14. Sonshu

A real point for me is in a fight are aiming to win as quickly as possible and this is the same in MMA.

The damage to joint locks is not that common as when your got you know you are and most people tap out, if you don't then the damage is done.

For your study then who is it that teaches these to you and what is there level of skill in

Boxing
    MT
    FMA
    BJJ

I think if JKD was as good as these core elements there would be more top flight people in MMA doing JKD. I cover elements of all of these but would not say I do any specific or JKD. So do you say to your students or does your instructor tell you this will break his knee cap or this will snap his neck?

15. Richdog

My instrucors are called Jason and Mark, trained and approved by Bob Breen, so their quality is very high. And yes, when we are training they specifically say "this is going to break his arm/knee" etc and they are the types who enjoy (figuratively) paying some attention to the more dirty and destructive techniques out there.

Sonshu you also keep re-enforcing my point. Yes, MMA fighters do train to take the opponent down as soon as possible, but in a less destructive way than a JKD guy would. They don't aim to permanently damage or break bones or aim to strike vital areas.. do you not agree with that?

I have said earlier in my replies that I do not consider one more superior to the other, but that both are great fighters, and geared towards different situation.

You keep saying that if JKD was so good then there would be more top-flight people in MMA that study it... but at the end of the day MMA incorporates the only parts of JKD that they would actually use... why should they study JKD when their instructors are teaching them everything they need to know to survive and win within the ring? What would extra JKD training do for them except add more techniques that they aren't going to be able to use in the ring?

They do not need to study JKD as they are not learning to fight for the same reasons... this doesn not make them better or worse... it is merely like I have said earlier a different type of training geared towards a different purpose.

And that is really all the opinions I have to offer on the matter now as my posts are having to repeat things I thought I had expressed earlier in the thread, I have nothing more to add really. But they are just my personal opinions, nothing more, nothing less. :)

16. tel

agree with u richdog.what u say is true.
    people u training in mma train for the ring thats its aim.tho the two do cross over

17. Sonshu

(1) I am not a fan of the This will break an arm technique as it can place false hopes on students and in many TMA's these type of technqiues are mentioned but I feel its better to say this may cause it but the control factor is also there for you to control and restrain your opponent. Your instructors what level are they in MT and BJJ or is it they just learn bits of what there instructor learns.

(2) In a less destructive way - have you ever watched Vandeli Silva or Igor Vovchenchin or Cro Cop fight, nothing non destructive about them I am sure they will not be losing many streetfights in there life. This talk about beaking knee caps etc, how are you doing this in any different manner to what they do. If its the stepping trapping style WCKF kick I don't fancy its chances of breaking a sweat let alone a leg.

What are these destructive techniques that MMA is missing.

(3) The goals are the same just some moves in a MMA comp which anyone can do are removed and these are only from recent events, the early ones the TMA guys did not do any better with groin shots etc. Joe Son was a prime example of that.

18. tel

i see where your coming from,but still a sport with rules,even the first few had rules

19. shinbushi

shinbushi Reaver

Jkd

Well I Don't know about K-1 but Forrest Griffin wqho own the light heavy weight division of the reality show The Ultimate Fighter trains at the The HardCore Gym which teaches Functional JKD.

20. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

well someone here said that MMA doesn't extend beyond the ring. Dont' know who, but someone mentioned that idea here.