JKD & FMA

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by pseudo, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

i guess it depends how you train, firstly, where you train, secondly, and who your teacher is, thirdly

when i was learning JKD at the old school, we must've learned all kinds of techniques and drills that i'm sure had to have come from somewhere besides JKD, but we never said 'this is a WC drill' or 'this is a FMA drill' or 'this is judo', in fact half the time we never even learned the proper chinese/filipino/japanese name for the techniques we were doing because JKD was considered an american martial art, so we used regular kickboxing terminology and just called it JKD, but now they call it JFJKD for legal purposes

and what is typical? for example, boxing, which doesn't allow you to kick, or karate which only tests karate material, whereas JKD tests everything, so is it wrong to say there is no FMA in JKD? i dont know, i would say that JKD practitioners can and do practice FMA, but FMA is not a regular part of JFJKD training

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

That sounds a bit like a lack of understanding as much as anything else.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Funny how I see 1990 videos with Jerry Poteet teaching panantukan drills though....but hey I am SURE he arrived at them independently :rolleyes:

4. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

well, no, jerry poteet spent some time learning JKD from bruce lee, but he probably spent more time learning JKD from dan inosanto, who we all know was FMA all the way, and i'm sure just as dan inosanto taught FMA to bruce lee, he probably also taught FMA to jerry poteet and others who were at the JKD institute with him

however, on the other side of the fence was ted wong, who, while mister inosanto was teaching the JKD/FMA classes up at the school, was training JKD privately with bruce lee at bruce lee's house and during my encounters with mister wong, he never once demonstrated anything that was FMA

so again, i still say it depends how you train, where you train, and who your teacher is