JKD and weight training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DrunkenMasterBE, Feb 10, 2014.

1. DrunkenMasterBE

DrunkenMasterBE Valued Member

no offence but you read what you want to read i also said i had bad knee's so not taking the risc to injure them and be out of training for months so if i feel something wrong the spotter could help me

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

don't feel that really changes anything I said bud, the leg press is never going to do as much for you as the squat, the squat is pretty hard to spot for so if you did get in trouble its doubtful a spotter would help much and like I said if your sensible with the weight there's no reason you should get in trouble (even with the bad knee), if your in such bad shape that you really can't squat in anyway the leg press would be the next best thing but if there's a possibility at all of getting strong enough to squat I would use it to build up with the end goal of squatting always in mind. I was out for 6 months with a knee injury last year, after rehab it was serious barebell training following the starting strength programme that rebuilt the strength foundation of my knee.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

as always - go to a qualified medical professional before starting any new exercise regime. including martial arts.

if you have bad knees, get it checked out by a physio and have them recommend some remedial exercises

if you have bad knees then wing chun is probably the worst way to strength your legs because the goat riding stance is terrible (sciencey stuff: it creates a valgus knee motor pattern rather than neutral alignment)

if you get the all clear from the physio to weight train because of your knees then start squatting 5x5 (your thighs should go lower than parallel to the ground with a short pause at the bottom) with the bar and add 2.5 kg a week to ensure the weight stays low and your form stays good.

3 work outs a week, for 52 weeks (one year) and you should be squatting at least 100kg by the end of the year for 5x5.

4. Mangosteen

also squat in a squat rack - if you fail, the rack will catch it.

5. DrunkenMasterBE

My knee's hurt if i have to stay in stances for some time because i gained some weight again when i was 20 pounds lighter it made a huge diffrence now after jumping kicks etc the day after they hurt really bad :p

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

and there's me thinking this was a given ? how would he reach any decent resistance without one.

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

some times the pain's that worry you about doing certain strength training actually end up getting better once you do them, my lower back used to get sore from Judo until I first started to deadlift.

8. Mangosteen

go to a physio.

really... wing chun isnt going to help your knee problems. the goat riding stance is one leg kick away from an MCL tear
    also from what i understand - wing chun doesnt even have jumping kicks.

he might be going old school
    [​IMG]

9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

haha that's still a rack of some description

10. Mangosteen

those are squat stands. but semantics, you;re right, you can rack the weight :p

a squat rack is usually this:[​IMG]

I use squat stands and just let the bar roll off me if im in trouble.
    one hell of a massage

11. DrunkenMasterBE

i practice other styles of kung fu to with alot of kicking in the wing chun style my knee's dont hurt for some reason and evryone elses do i only feel it in my shins and ankles for some reason

12. DrunkenMasterBE

geuss i go subscribe to the gym tomorow and change my old training schedule to the one i posted?or do you have a better one for 3x a week

13. Mangosteen

This program is better. Mainly because it has this entire wiki of information to surround it and guide you

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Squat lower, press overhead and good luck.

14. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

beats picking it up off the floor and cleaning it over your head and onto your shoulders.... then squatting it 5 times then some how putting it back on the floor, just wanted to make sure the OP knows thats not an option :p

15. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

yeah it really doesn't get any simpler than starting strength, its by far the easiest template to get into and start shifting iron.

16. DrunkenMasterBE

can i add other exercises to looks like in and out the gym in 15-20 minutes :)

17. Mangosteen

sorry what?
    i didnt understand

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

haha read the wiki rip answers this one himself :)

and its more like 50 minutes.

19. DrunkenMasterBE

how 50 minutes do i take 5 min rest between?

20. DrunkenMasterBE

can i do other exercises with the program because it looks a little short?