JKD and weight training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DrunkenMasterBE, Feb 10, 2014.

1. DrunkenMasterBE

DrunkenMasterBE Valued Member

What do you guys think about JKD and weight training i have a barbell and dumbells at home i used to go to the gym but i think a barbell will already be enough for strenght exercises i was thinking of training with weights 3 times a week like this:
    5x5 deadlift
    5x5 benchpress
    5x5 squats,if i find a partner because i had the scenario where i was unable to get the barbell out of my neck :p
    5x5 upright rows
    and 3x8 bicep curls to even it out?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm not very good with anything about training routines, but I suppose "What are your goals?" is a relevant question. :)

3. DrunkenMasterBE

Strength and power

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Cool, sounds fine to me, but someone more knowledgeable will give you a more detailed answer :)

5. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

go to the gym. Your going to miss important parts of your muscles if you just excersize with your little dumbbells.

6. THEFOREVERMAN1

THEFOREVERMAN1 Banned Banned

I can't gain weight. I eat a lot and I am still skinny. I need ideas.

7. DrunkenMasterBE

Im THE other way around haha i can do as much cardio and dieting i still look bigger than normal

8. DrunkenMasterBE

You can do enough with The barbell i dont do machines they dont give The same result as lose weights

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

front squat are easy to bail from and highly recommended
    also use superwide grip upright rows
    i like curls but i also think dumbell/horizontal/bent over/pendlay rows are important

10. TheWiseOne

TheWiseOne Banned Banned

What's your weight and height?

11. DrunkenMasterBE

86kg 1.80m

12. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Beat me to it!

Also, if you use front squats (and don't have a rack or stands), then you need to learn power clean to get the bar up. This has the added bonus of learning to power clean, which is (as the name suggests) pretty good for power generation.

As well as the rows Zaad suggests, I'd also be tempted to add overhead pressing of some kind (DB, strict, push press etc), if your shoulders are happy with you doing that.

In fact, you could probably take the Stronglifts 5x5 programme, substitute front squats for back squats, and learn power clean to get the bar up, and off you go.

Other important questions:
    What's your posture like?
    What's your 'strength and power' now and how far do you want to improve it?
    How much do you eat and sleep?
    How often do you train JKD?

Good luck with it all!

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

adding an extra powerclean will be more tiring (extra volume)
    and you will only ever be able to front squat what you can powerclean without a rack
    and your front squat can go much higher than your power clean.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  14. DrunkenMasterBE

Im pretty rough build i was never a small guy
    My kicking power is ok but not at the level i want it and my punching power is weak for my weight,i was also verry bad in push ups now i can do 30 in a row abs always been ok to train.
    i started running 10days ago now i can run 1 hour to 1 hour 30 min on a normal speed.
    It depends from day to day what i eat 90% of the time is clean non processed food i sleep around 6-8 hours on sunday and monday because of school other
    days can be longer.
    I try to train atleast 2hours a day evry day most of the time its running for an hour some bodyweight exercise and shadow boxing im willing to pay more time towards my JKD because im free on the days i have no school i cant really find a training partner and i find it hard to solo train techniques i have a heavy bag and a wooden dummy but its not the same
    For weight equipment i have a barbell,dumbells a benchpress and a kettlebell
    Thanks for the reply :)

15. DrunkenMasterBE

the problem is if i do the powerclean i will hit the roof :D

16. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

OP, how old are you?

17. DrunkenMasterBE

18. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Actually, depending on how much weight he's got, this looks like a pretty good routine to me. It's not much different than what I started with and I noticed huge strength gains.

I don't know if weight training at 17 is a good idea though, someone else would probably be better to answer that.

19. DrunkenMasterBE

i started at 15-16 with weighttraining but took a break because i got so stiff and i didnt really like it for my martial arts

20. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

For now, try cleaning the bar to your shoulders for a front squat. One clean, then all your reps of the squat, and drop the bar back to the floor.

Do Stronglifts 5x5, but substituting the front squat for the back squat.

Stretch your ankles, hamstrings, glutes, pecs, lats and upper back daily.