JKD and self expression

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Edgeorge, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Sandstorm:RS

Sandstorm:RS Valued Member

An excellent answer Focussed rage. But then again, you are someone who knows what they are talking about! Thank you for that.

regards

R

2. Sandstorm:RS

Never a truer word spoken! He's also right by the way!

regards

R

3. Sandstorm:RS

Just for the record.

JKD is a pragmatic combat system which has no limitations and takes from any art that has something to offer irrespective of style or nature of origin. The vast meraid of techniques are endleass and each technique can have counless variations.
    Because of the nature of the "System" (to use one of Focsed-rage's terms) it remains current and alive, forever changing and adapting to suit the environment or country where it is being taught. Sadly it is only one of a precious few reality based combat systems that exist today.

Hope this helps

Regards

R

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This is pretty much the underlying philosophy - often described as the "seacrh for the common thread" rather than simple eclecticism

Again this is how *I* interpret it (and my Sigung)

This is the only contentious thing you say...and not because it isn't true, but because it should be like this but in actuality there is more fragmentation and in-fighting in the community that JKD is second only to the Ninja's for politics

Done well, JKD is for me the best approach - done badly it is just another one of a myriad of styles that has become the very "classical mess" Sijo Bruce was telling his students to avoid

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Wow, I read your incredible resume in your profile. May I ask who your JKD influences are?

Regards,
    Yohan

6. Sandstorm:RS

No offence taken Hannibal and unfortunately you are quit right.

People will disagree it's only natural but as you quite rightly have pointed out there is a great deal of fragmentation.

Regards

R

7. Sandstorm:RS

Of course you can,

Bob Breen, Dan Inosanto, Cass Magda, Rick Young and Larry Hartsel.

regards

R

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Did you ever have a chance to train with any of them? My coach trained under Larry Hartsell and Dan Inosanto as well as Richard Bustillo.

9. february

february Valued Member

In theory. In practice things are very different.

10. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Yes he did with all of them with Bob Breen being the main one. And we used to kick the tar out of each other on a regular basis back in the 80's. And we graded under Bob Breen together. He's a wrinkly old war horse is Roger.

Best regards

Pat

11. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

That also all depends on who is doing it.

12. Sandstorm:RS

sorry about the delay in replying Yohan.

Yes, is the answer to your question. I spent six year training twice/three times a week with Bob Breen along with Pat O'Mally and have trained with Dan Inosato, Cass Magda and Rick Young in the UK.

Hope this helps answer you question.

reagrds

R