JKA Zenkutsu dachi - how to measure length?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by crash76, May 31, 2015.

1. crash76

crash76 Valued Member

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows how to correctly measure the length of zenkutsu dachi for JKA karate? I know its "about" 1.5 x hip width, but is there an almost exact way to measure?

2. Shotokan_Andy

Shotokan_Andy Valued Member

There's no precise measurement. It totally depends on the person. My hip width may be different to yours, and the next persons different again.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Why would you want to?

A zenkutsu dachi is entirely personal and dependant on leg length (and flexibility and context) rather than hip width. As an example my zenkutsu dachi for Shotokan forms (which I'm sure certain Shotokan associations would consider high) is 3x my hip width.

4. crash76

crash76 Valued Member

I agree that it is entirley dependant on the physical charecteristics of the person, but I was just hoping there would be an "ideal" length and width that was somehow measureable for each person. I know years and years ago when I did shukokai karate, we got told to bend the back knee to the ground, and it should be inline with, and two fists width away from the heel of the front leg.

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I think the details of zen kutsu vary by style. The way my sensei teaches it is that once you are "seated" in the stance, look down at the toes. If you can see them, the stance isn't deep enough.

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

The above is how I learned it in karate.

It only really mattered when we sparred because we used han zenkutsu dachi for mobility. From there we could drop weight down by shifting to a shiko dachi, kokutsu dachi, or zenkutsu dachi to counter/evade and counter attack quickly.

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I agree with everything that has been said above, the "ideal" length varies massively between people and I do think some folks get too wrapped up in specifics at times.

But if it helps, when I first started karate, the instructor at the time suggested that if you take your stance, drop your back knee to the floor that your back knee and front heel. From there, the gap between the two should be "approximately" four to five fists wide. I've seen a few instructors repeat a similar attitude on this one.

Does that make sense?

8. mokita

mokita New Member

Yes, there is. I was taught this by a senior JKA instructor. It's a bit fiddly like a game of twister..

Go into Seiza position (with your toes still on the balls of the feet).
    Knees/feet/hips must be in parallel line.
    Put your left fist in front of your left knee.
    Move your left foot in front of the fist.
    You must not move your right foot/toes during this.
    Once you have your left foot planted in front of your left fist, remove the fist.
    Stand up and allow your right heel to 'drop' into position.
    Bend your front knee slightly over your toes.

Zenkutsu Dachi according to your own body.