JKA Check In

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Dirk Dagger, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Dirk Dagger

Dirk Dagger I Love Kelly Hu

Hello Everybody!

I would just like to know if there are any JKA Karatekas out there. Let me know who you are by posting your names, rank/grade, and from what country you are from.

I'm Dirk, friends call me Dagger. I am from JKA Philippines, currently a 1st kyu Brown Belt and working my way to get the most coveted 1st Dan. I train at JKA Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines. :D

This is a picture of some of the first students of our Xavier University Chapter. There are a lot of JKA Chapters in Cagayan de Oro and ours is one of them. We are one BIG family here. That's me on the far left and our instructor, is Amado Abao, Sensei. The fifth person from the left.

2. Paul Herbert

Paul Herbert New Member

Hi ~ another JKA karate-ka here. I'm a student of the late Sensei Keionsuke Enoeda 9th Dan JKA and now train under Sensei Yoshinobu Ohta, 6th Dan JKA and chief instructor to England and Scotland. I've been training over 20 years and hold the rank of 4th Dan. Anymore JKA guys or girls out there?

3. Dirk Dagger

Hi Paul,

I've seen your website and it sure is cool. I've only been training in Karate for over five years now. Glad that you posted in this thread. That's Sensei Ohta with you in the picture right? I've only read about Sensei Enoeda in the Karate Magazines. Hey, have you trained with Andy Sherry and Frank Brennan?

4. Paul Herbert

Paul Herbert New Member

Hi Dirk - The picture above is actually myself and Sensei Enoeda taken at the JKA Crystal Palace course in London a few years back. I've trained with Andy Brennan and Frank Brennan many times, most notably when I was on the KUGB England squad. It's a shame you never got a chance to train with Sensei Enoeda. I don't know if he ever visited the Philippines.

5. Ruthless Dragon

Ruthless Dragon New Member

Hey I'm 1st dan KUGB and I've also trained with Enoeda, Sherry, Frank Brennan and Bob Pointon. Frank graded me during me Kyu years and Sherry thankfully passed me last september.

6. Dirk Dagger

Osu! Sorry for the mistake, the picture of Shihan Enoeda in the Traditional Karate Magazine I have is a long distance shoot so I really don't see his face up close. I don't think he has ever gone here in the Philippines.
    It sure is cool that you trained with well-known JKA Karatekas. Frank Brennan was a world champion right? is he still competing these days?

7. Dirk Dagger

Hi Ruthless Daragon, 1st Dan huh? Wow! How long have you been training Karate? I'm still working my way to 1st Dan. I have been training under JKA for more than five years now.

8. mikelw

mikelw New Member

I'm a JKA guy, only part of the association, dont' really agree with everything we do, but whatever. 2nd kyu brownbelt from the USA under Shihan Akio Minakami. My style: hayashi ha s hito ryu kai. www.minakamikarate.com

9. Ruthless Dragon

I've been training for 4 and a half years now. Frank isn't still competing, he retired years ago when he won the KUGB grand championship for the tenth year on the run.

10. Ruthless Dragon

If you want to see Frank in action mind a great video to watch is Frank Brennan Karate highlights

11. Dirk Dagger

Hi Mikelw, Sure glad to hear someone from the US. Your style however is new to me. JKA or Japan Karate Association practices Shotokan Karate. Tell us something about JKA in the US would you?
    :)

12. Dranel

Dranel New Member

Osu!
    Hello, I'm Dranel 23 years old. I trained in PTKF-JKA (Shihan Sasaki) Iligan, Philippines for 6 Years and attained my purple belt. But I just transferred to JKA Orient under Shihan Takahashi, so white belt I return. I'm already acquainted with Dirk who's the only JKA Philippines that I know here. :rolleyes:

13. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

I trained for over 10 years with the KUGB and took my Shodan with Keinosuke Enoeda in 1993. I'm still doing Shotokan but have no links to the JKA.

JKA karate is very good, good basics.

14. Further greeting from the JKAE

Hi,

I've been practicing Shotokan for about 14 years, initially under the KUGB and now the JKA England. I'm a a 2nd dan with the JKA at the moment and hope to increase that to 3rd sometime next year!

15. andybenw

andybenw New Member

Hi, I'm Andy, 1st Dan JKA. Have just started training again after a thirteen year break. Brown belts were under Ohta, shodan was Enoeda, another couple of japs I forget their names. Head of my association (Scottish Budokan) was a guy called Alec McGregor 6th Dan, he may even be dead now as theres no mention of him anywhere on the net. Training with Kase was the best experience I had, the man was raw power. SBA was pretty cool at the time as the association had a large number of world class fighters. Don't think it exists now by the looks of things.

16. greebo_1

greebo_1 New Member

Hi, I started off at a KUGB club but then it change to FBSKUI club. Since November 2003 I have started in a JKA(E) club. I'm a 3rd Kyu and have trained for 4 years. I have trained with Sensei Yoshinobu Ohta, a few times since i joined the JKA(E).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  17. Dirk Dagger

Whew! I'm glad this thread still exists!

Hi guys,

I've been gone for quite a long time. So here it is again, JKA check in. It would be nice to hear and know new JKA karatekas out there.

Osu!

18. mashiara

mashiara New Member

Hi peeps! :) It's nice to hear from JKA karatekas from all over the world. i just registered as a member of this interesting website....and i would love to share anything about myself especially in relation to karate.

i started karate when i was in my 5th grade....not bec. i wanted to, but it was more of my dad's decision (he's a JKA instructor). but i never had any regrets in joining karate since i eventually learned to love the art.

i stopped for a while, then went back when i was in college, then stopped again due to some conflicts with my studies.

my 2 younger sisters and nephew joined the OLYMPICS tournament last sunday, and so i was encouraged to go back again.

by the way, im a 2nd kyu brown belter from cebu, philippines. im vying for black belt later next year.

19. mashiara

mashiara New Member

This is a picture of some of the first students of our Xavier University Chapter. There are a lot of JKA Chapters in Cagayan de Oro and ours is one of them. We are one BIG family here. That's me on the far left and our instructor, is Amado Abao, Sensei. The fifth person from the left.[/QUOTE]

osu!

I think I've seen Shihan Abao already....if it was him indeed, im sure twas here in cebu. maybe i've already joined a karate practice with him. or maybe i've seen him during quarterly exams.

20. Dirk Dagger

Hi there! It's nice to know that there are a lot of JKA karatekas around. If you guys are in friendster, pls add me up. My email add is available by PMing me.

Osu!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2005