JJJ on the BBC

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Ben Gash CLF, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Well, it's as cringe worthy as any other mainstream media report on martial arts tends to be.

"The ultimate combat sport"

Yeah...no...

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'd love to compete in that. :D

4. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Just seen this post! Thanks Ben, yes, the camera loves me :)

Seriously, its a great competition style (as long as you accept the limitations, same as any competition) and I'd recommend anybody have a go - pretty safe way to test your skills, and a decent stepping stone to MMA as well, imho

Open England squad sessions next year - pm me for details

5. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

Are punches in the body while grappling allowed in England?

6. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Not in straight grappling, but in 'sport jujitsu' then yes - you can kick and punch while standing, and in the clinch, then body shots only once on the floor. Big fun!

7. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

Thanks for the explanation :)

I think by straight grappling you're referring to pure ne waza of JJJ, am I correct?

At my dojo and generally from any video I've seen about JJJ tournaments under IJJF ( I'm talking about Sport Jujitsu too, the one I'm taught at least ), you can kick and punch while standing ( we call it the 1st part, punches in the face are forbidden, though you can use Haito and Uraken Uchi ), but as long as one grabs something, you enter the clinch-takedown part ( we call it the 2nd part ), where every strike is forbidden. The same is applied to groundwork ( 3rd part ).

Are the rules you know / practice / teach different, could you elaborate??
    I'm asking just for educational reasons.
    Thanks again!

8. Pretty In Pink

How hard can you hit your opponent? :D

9. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

I'd say it's semi-contact as you can see in the video, you don't hit to knock him out, you hit to score points, you must pull your punches a little bit.

10. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Supposed to be semi contact, but when you get going it can go a bit harder ... :)

Wcjjo rules are a bit different to ijjf, so you keep striking all the way through. Arguably it favours strikers over grapplers as you can stuff the takedown and keep scoring points. Although a takedown is a high point manoeuvre and a sub wins the round. Ultimately, all combat sports are about fitting your skills to rules

Full rules here- http://wcjjo.org/answers/# if you have some guys in Greece that fancy a go, get in touch, new fighters always welcome

11. Pretty In Pink

I might find something in my local area. What level should I compete at? I don't train in JJJ. I practice MMA and I am a blue belt in Brazilian Juijutsu.

12. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Where are you?

13. Pretty In Pink

14. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Hmm there used to be a scots team, but not heard from them for a while. I'll see if I can find any details

15. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I would love to give sport jujitsu a try, it looks like it would be great fun. The level of contact is lower than sparring sessions at my gym so it wouldn't be as intimidating as taking an MMA fight (though that is the plan for the future). I know that my coach has competed in a few SJJ matches, I will have to ask him in the new year.

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

id be up for that! not that i do the jits any more...

17. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Kave - thats exactly why I like it - can be a step to MMA if you want, or just an end in itself. Used to be a NZ team I believe.

18. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I looked it up on youtube and there is a video of my coach competing in a ninja-turtle gi and also competing in a spiderman gi. It really looks quite fun.

19. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

England Squad session in Leeds on Sunday if anyone fancies it, pm for details

20. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

when's the next one ? me, zadd and chadderz are the new scottish team ! I think we would do ok :p

there was actually some good skill in that video on display, looks like a decent competition.